SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Excelent, i like that Sword And Axe strives for historical depiction of the era, apart from Viking Conquest and Vikingr, there are not too many mods that do that. Oh and if you need or want some historical info about Finnmark, and Finland during this era i can dig something up for you, I am Finn and i have more than a few books about this era in history, i may translate them if they are in Swedish or Finnish.

@fladin Thank you! :party:
@NorthWind Hi, glad you like it. And yes, realism and historical accuracy is my goal, but not to the point it becomes a dry "history" lesson. And if you can, I REALLY would appreciate info about Finnmark. It is the focus of the new version.

Yes its about being fun and immersive to play, but at the same time not being an academic history lesson. Yes i can dig up some illustrations from Finnish books and historical reference i remember that i have a book titled "soldiers and warriors of Finnmark" i have to look at it.

In Finland we call Finnmark "Ruija" and we still eat a sort of meaty bread called "ruijanpallas". Finnmark has also another meaning in Sweden, there it means "Finnish Area" or "Finnish Heath" area that is Finnmark was (and is) populated by an ethnic and cultural group of people who are called "Forest Finns" or "korpisuomalaiset" in Finnish, you can think about the forest-dwelling Slavs of Eastern Rus and the tribes that live close to Volga and Dniepr and you get a pretty good idea what kind of people they were. As they were foresters they practiced slash-and-burn agriculture and they mostly lived in forest's terms they scorned city life and villages were nomadic in nature.

Bronze_hilt_of_the_Suontaka_sword.jpg
20190222_151317.jpg
501472-Suontaka-Sword.jpg
Suontaka_Sword_in_Finnish_National_Museum_of_Finland_18.11.2017.jpg
f71da85445371e7ddfe239dc84dd9fc1.jpg
a7f93e6aae13da8b1dd7b15e94b45d2d.jpg
79235540_606663703209819_6681715261765349171_n.jpg
aunus_mies2.jpg
13-3-10774465.jpg
2t3zx9gyrrq31.jpg
b96765b72fd2376f6658393efd13ff2d.jpg
finnstyle.jpg
ae71bba2c37fba8497bae56d3dd56a45.jpg
7f34718987764075ae7361930261c110.jpg
AD
dsc_3450.jpg
Euran-puku.jpeg
uGXCKUiCDpPE0a9N26dPk5NU54qYN_3glVrzUPHTjfFDrc0-cPjyba6lzhnBtU7tjdyP5AgGJrKQti1cFskido5-dlHxw5Ry

The clothing you see in the pictures was used in Finnmark and Finland about 790AD-1000AD. The reason why we used Viking era clothes for so long was the fact that Christianity and fashion designs arrived here later than in continental Europe, actually as late as 1650 in some parts of Central Finland and Karelia, Paganism and Ukkos/Odin's worship was common and during famines, preying to old gods(for example to Tapio if wheat was not growing well) was even more usual. If you have any questions or you want something translated i am here. i have to find my 2 other books about Ancient Finnmark and Sweden there is some interesting stuff there too.

Ehm, I will study those and everything else you want, but first, can I ask you one thing: please, put images in the spolier, it makes it easier to see and archive. Thank you!
Now, about the research. As I said, I will study it intensely slowly, but from the first glimpse, it is really good, thank you! A lot of very interesting (and useful for me) things. :grin:

EDIT: Coming back to comment. Those are some VERY nice reference pics. Two points: a) I don't mean to gloat, but it seems that I was more close to accurate clothing than I imagined, and b) could you please translate the words below the pic with the 9 female dresses (5th from the bottom). I'm guessing they are traditional regional dresses.

Again, thank you for your interest and your research.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, i forgot the spoiler complication in this forum, yeah i will try to remember this. Yes your clothing is completely believable in the mod at least in my personal historian opinion.You are correct they are regional traditional dresses, still in use in some festivals. We call them "muinaispuku" it's not the same thing as a national dress or the official county dress but more of a reconstruction of the clothing used in the local area in Viking Age.

1. The first from the upper left is from Eura and its a more coastal variant.
2. Used in Perniö, "Aino-Perniö" means that the clothing is from the northern part of Perniö, "Aino" is also one of the protagonists in the epic "Kalevala".
3 Tuukkala is an ancient village that doesn,'t exist anymore, but it was east of Mikkeli.

4. Ancient Karelian clothing, but this specific dress was also used in the Oulu region.

5. "Masku" dress was used with by the Sami, and Lappid people close to Rovaniemi and Tornio for example. You can see that its simpler in design. The Sami inhabited much of Southern Finland during Viking Age, it was in the 12th century war when they were driven back to Lappi, where they make their home nowdays.

6 "Kaarina" dress, this is an error from the maker since this clothing and color style was more common in the Enontekiö area and Inari's Finnish settler population used this style frequently.

7. "Mikkeli" dress was used in the most eastern parts of Finland, also used in the Lappi area, more exactly in the modern Russian boarder area.

8. "Kaukola" This is even more eastern dress, while commonly used in the Karelian Isthmus area it was used in Kittilä also with same colors and themes except that the "underdress was orange or black.

And yes some of these are from hard to find books, for example the sixth picture from the start the black-white sketch was painful to find since even i didn,'t know a good search word.

It says : Full dress outfit of a Finnish man from Pagan Era, meaning from 200 AD to 1100 AD roughly(Finland was the last European country to be converted to Christianity, there were 5 crusades made into Finland)
. Constructed by Doctor Sakari Päls based on the excavations in Northern Finland and other areas. Notice the man wears "Klappenrock" kind of caftan and his sword is very Nordic in style.

Last edited:
I searched my "library" of these information and history books that i mentioned, but it seems i sold the books in 2018, but no worries i managed to find a couple good sites and illustration pictures from this era, so i can still give some help and insight into the clothing,weapons, places etc.

Ah, thanks, I appreciate it. Yeah, I've been there before, giving away books I later regretted doing so. :sad:
Thank you! If you want, you can send them and whatever else you want in a message, to help me store the info better. Or, you can join the Discord server, because there is a Research channel there.

Yes i probably will send them here, when i get back to my original computer i can join you in Discord, this current laptop just doesn't let me use it well enough.
Luckily i still have these sites that i can use.

Concerning the Karelian clothing, according to what i have read about the subject, since Karelia and especially the isthmus area was close to Novgorod the Eastern Karelians many times used clothing inspired by the Rus like in this picture.
WP_20170313_10_58_17_Pro.jpg

There is actually one theory that is surprisingly popular among Finnish historians. It's that Rurik was a Finn by blood, most likely still just a theory.

Here's some more reference i managed to find.upper picture has a couple of more well-off citizens. boasting ornaments, these are based on grave finds from Mikkeli and Kiukainen for example. The lower picture is an example of Rus-inspired Eastern Karelian caftan.

c470eadbd3719a90014b00c166f6cd1f.jpg
ene5ok.jpg

Back
Top Bottom