The skill point system needs an overhaul?

Do you think the current skill point system needs an overhaul?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I think the current skill point system needs an overhaul, because i currently think it's annoying to use.
But why is it annoying? Because it has forgotten the core of why Mount & Blade is fun, FREEDOM.

PROBLEM
You're forced to do something you maybe don't want to, when you want to lvl up a skill e.g. I don't want to to lead an army, but then it's hard to get leadership up, or maybe I would like companions to get leadership, so they can help me train my soldiers, but they can't lead an army, and why should they...
Edit:
"Basically my problem is that I don't want to grind each skill point to lvl up, I would like the ability to just go fight, and be able to lvl up the skills I want. The current skill point system forces me to try everything of the game in order to lvl up the skill points and get higher level."

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Instead of the existing skill point system I would suggest to change it to a mix between the current system and an xp system.
So let's keep it so that you still get xp in specific skills by using them, but at the same time you will get xp from completing quests, winning battles, and defeating individual opponents, these xp you will be able to assign whatever skill you want improved.
This would mean you could focus on doing a specific action to lvl up that skill faster, but you can also go out and do some quests, so that you will get some xp points, which you can put in whatever skill you want.

If there are other suggestions or if someone wants to share their reasoning for keeping the skill point system as it is, feel free to join the discussion :smile:

Last edited:
I don't understand your problem you can level up your wanted skill by doing that actual skill. You can check with each skill what you'd have to do to level it up, and with bannerlord tweaks and some editing in the config file you can level up quite fast. Beside's if you want to lead an bigger army you would need steward not leadership. Maybe before you start spitting out stuff you'd might wanna play the game a bit more because it sounds like you don't know the system yet. No hard feelings.

I don't understand your problem you can level up your wanted skill by doing that actual skill. You can check with each skill what you'd have to do to level it up, and with bannerlord tweaks and some editing in the config file you can level up quite fast. Beside's if you want to lead an bigger army you would need steward not leadership. Maybe before you start spitting out stuff you'd might wanna play the game a bit more because it sounds like you don't know the system yet. No hard feelings.
Hi Kwando

I think you misunderstood me, I meant you need to lead an army to increase the leadership skill :smile:

My problem is that I don't want to grind each skill point to lvl them up, I would like the ability to just go fight, and be able to lvl up the skills I want. The current skill point system forces me to try everything of the game in order to lvl up the skill points and get higher level.

I think the only problem here is the Leadership skill. The rest will level up as you play, but you only increase Leadership when forming and leading armies, a very specific situation.

Maybe the solution would be to add another action to improve Leadership, like recruiting troops.

Actually when you form an army with partys within your clan you dont need influence to form or upkeep, only problem is you have to be clan lvl 3 to have another clan party but thats pretty fast to obtain

Another example could be the stewardship skill, where I have to buy 10 different edibles to lvl that up, but why do I have to do that? It's not fun to have to manage 10 different edibles.. Or how about roguery, I don't care to have bandits in my party. But in order to level up those skills, I am forced to do that. I just don't like they use the skill point system as a guide/tutorial to do everything in the game

I'm not having any problem raising Stewardship, just with normal play and only controlling i have enough food for everyone (and maybe some variety, but not to that extent). For Roguery, I'm not really sure, as I'm not walking that path, but selling prisoner as slaves also increases your Roguery skill, so it's steadily increasing, despite I have 0 focus points invested on it.

The only skills I find problems to raise are Leadership and Crossbow... so I think the rest is ok.

I don't necessarily think the system is all that bad but the rate of skill gain needs to increase and the skill caps need to go away.

Basically just double or triple the rate of increase and allow all skills to always go up but the rate of increase is based off how you allocate your points. Then just adjust the amount of skill points require for a level up to maintain a balanced rate of leveling and then things would be golden.

I don't necessarily think the system is all that bad but the rate of skill gain needs to increase and the skill caps need to go away.

Basically just double or triple the rate of increase and allow all skills to always go up but the rate of increase is based off how you allocate your points. Then just adjust the amount of skill points require for a level up to maintain a balanced rate of leveling and then things would be golden.
Spot on mate.

The system just needs a few tweaks, that's it. Once all the perks start working and the xp gain is raised, then I'm confident players will not have issues with the system.

I like the current system in general - but it could do with changes:
  1. Double / triple XP gain for whatever you are doing, so you'd still level 2h as you currently do, but it would be faster.
    • i.e. I like how we level stuff up, I don't like how long it takes.
  2. Make attributes add 5 levels to their bound skills.
    • E.g. if you have 5 endurance, your Riding/Athletics/Smithing skills would start at 25 (and raising Endurance to 6, in-game, would add an additional 5 points to Riding/Athletics/Smiting). This gives attribute point decisions more weight.
  3. Make it so skills can only hold 1 focus point not 5 (seriously you're either focused on something or you are not... being "20%" focused on something is called half-arsing it lol).
    • Then also let the player pick any 3-4 skills to focus on, which they can swap/respec at any time.
      • These effectively become your/your classes "major" skills (if you want to think of this in Classic RPG terms)
    • [or, rather than respecing at any time, maybe tie this to some mechanic like life events - after losing a battle or your child maturing to adulthood your character has some time to reflect and this lets you respec your 3 focus perks].
  4. And tidy up the overlapping perks (e.g. Bow/Riding) - to make perk choices more compelling - though this is more an EA/balance thing not a critique of the system itself.

Last edited:
They are not going to overhaul the system at this point so it's kind of moot to discuss about it. If you want an overhaul you will more than likely have to wait for mods.

I sure hope they will make it less grindy though.

We need a whole lot in the skill/perk department. It's clear what we have now is more of a show and tell or concept idea that hasn't been finished.
If they keep something like what they've got they need to throw out the learning limits if you have 1 or more FP in a skill, let it level slow with 1 FP but never stop it. Make multi FP skills much faster at higher levels. Now it's a joke once you get over 150 even with 5 FP....

But the perks/ability improvements need to be much better too. Not only do many not work(aren't coded) ATM, many are just so weak that could just be skipped altogether.
We need a second system for important stuff that needs to work and we can't grind out.
We need real surgery to stop loosing units. Maybe have a profession choice type of thing. You can choose to be a trader, medic, commander, engineer , governor, scout, after unlocking it somehow, either by a game event or just a certain level. But the main thing would be that you get a useful, needed, boost immediately and can then improve it further later and maybe chose a second/third if you master it.

I like the current system in general - but it could do with changes:
  1. Double / triple XP gain for whatever you are doing, so you'd still level 2h as you currently do, but it would be faster.
    • i.e. I like how we level stuff up, I don't like how long it takes.
  2. Make attributes add 5 levels to their bound skills.
    • E.g. if you have 5 endurance, your Riding/Athletics/Smithing skills would start at 25 (and raising Endurance to 6, in-game, would add an additional 5 points to Riding/Athletics/Smiting). This gives attribute point decisions more weight.
  3. Make it so skills can only hold 1 focus point not 5 (seriously you're either focused on something or you are not... being "20%" focused on something is called half-arsing it lol).
    • Then also let the player pick any 3-4 skills to focus on, which they can swap/respec at any time.
      • These effectively become your/your classes "major" skills (if you want to think of this in Classic RPG terms)
    • [or, rather than respecing at any time, maybe tie this to some mechanic like life events - after losing a battle or your child maturing to adulthood your character has some time to reflect and this lets you respec your 3 focus perks].
  4. And tidy up the overlapping perks (e.g. Bow/Riding) - to make perk choices more compelling - though this is more an EA/balance thing not a critique of the system itself.

Not sure about the triple XP but the rest are good suggestions. I would also say the levelling of combat skills shouldn't be a straight linear progression of multipliers so 300 skill hits with +200% damage all the time. It should be that at 0 skill you do 50% of possible weapon damage before speed multiplier and by the time you get to 50 skill you do 75% damage and at 75 skill you do 100% damage and at 100 skill you have a RNG on damage where you might do maximum of 110% and a minimum of 100% while at skill 300 you not only can use the highest level weapons your mastery of skill in 1 weapon gives small progression gain in other weapons, reduces damage taken by that weapon when wielded against you between 0-20% RNG roll, and makes it so hitting with that weapon does between minimum damage of 120% of weapon damage and maximum 150%

I think there could be a combo counter in the game.Like , every successful attack that you make without being damaged in 10 seconds could count as combo(1x ,3x, 5x etc.)and if you do them you could get XP multiplier by that you would be rewarded because of the skilled play you do.And it could be even greater...... by having an option to display them on the screen...like"Turn On Combo Counter Display[ ]"And things like double kill ,triple kill, penta kill could be displayed too and it would fasten up your leveling.For example if you kill someone with one headshot your combo is 3x and when you kill two person at the same time with headshot it would be counted as 8x.

Last edited:
I disagree, beside the other reasons I have stated, the skill point system doesn't work well with companions :/
That's a companion issue, not a skill point system issue.

Also your suggestion for an alternative solution to the skill system is nice, but it's not an overhaul as you think needs to be done.

If you say to overhaul the skill system, then it means completely removing what is there and replacing it with something entirely different. That does not need to be done.

["Blader noumt, post: 9316882, member:

[/QUOTE]
I think i would really like to see that as a feature......

Back
Top Bottom