The Reckoning| The Original Thread

This mod features ammo which gets used up when you fire a gun. How limited should ammo be?

• Very Limited and very expensive- players should be forced to conserve ammo at all times

Votes: 274 27.2%
  • Slightly limited - players should be forced to conserve ammo where possible

Votes: 613 60.8%
  • Not that limited and fairly cheap - players should be able to fire a gun whenever they wish

Votes: 121 12.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it was a currency before who the hell said its still a currency? Its ammo. If you want food as your currency then trade with bags of rice or meat or whatever. But making denars = food is just crap! There is already a quite good "food system" in the game, so why change everything when there is a much better way? And I dont want something like bottelcaps because I would never ever trade my food or anything for some useless stuff the next trader might not even accept because he dont want them either but wants food or gear, something usefull.
And scrap metal/ resources as currency? That sounds kind of stupid... I mean there is so many stuff you could call "resources". Wood, nails, metal, car wheels, oil... even water. I dont want to use for example the same "currency" to repair a car as for reinforcing a outpost or build myself a melee weapon (if this kind of crafting is in the game).
Bullets are allways bullets. There are differences in kinds of ammo but at the end its allways ammo.

I remember posting an image of these a while back but it seemed to have gotten buried by posts but I created these guard rails and was wondering if you would like to use them. You can see all the separate parts in this pic so you can join them up and create various lengths.

xPearse said:
I remember posting an image of these a while back but it seemed to have gotten buried by posts...
Just send him a PM. He'll read it without it getting buried by posts.

NightHawkreal said:
Personally, I think that the cartridges is bad currency.
You might be right, but judging from the last few pages, there is no better alternative, is it?

La Grandmaster said:
ALECOS said:
Well all that sounds great :grin: just wondering if we will ever get a peak at the newer updated factions sometime :grin: ?

Pretty much the same as in the first post

- THE UNITED STATES ARMY
  - Led by Colonel Garret
        - The remains of the U.S Army, they have been attempting to return law and order to USA but are failing and they're influence is gradually decreasing. They are bitter enemies with...

- THE NEW CONFEDERACY
  - Led by President Samuel MaCarthur
      - Created soon after the fall of the U.S, The new Confederacy plans to set a Confederate States of America.... at any costs. Growing in power and influence they are a faction not to be crossed. At constant war with the US Army

Minor Factions

- The Bennet Clan
      - Redknecks, The Bennet Clan are a matriarchal family led by Margeret "Mags" Bennet
- The Aryan Brotherhood
      - White Supremecists, inner city gang

Additions to this are
- The Church Of Our Saviour, a christian (slightly) extremist faction (although generally one of the more morally good factions, they are opposed to slavery ect)

Smaller Factions (these are not visible on the world map and cannot be seen in the faction list in game until they have been visited)
- 3 City state factions (occupy one town/settlement and a few scavenging points each), these are The Township Of Woodbury, The Hagar Settlement and The Crater Miners
- Many raider clans and gangs (The Jackal Clan, The Gearhead Raiders, The Wasteland Maruaders, The Ghost Clan, Cannibals, amongst many others) Raider clans and small gangs only occupy 1 or two castles in the mod and not any towns
Ooh well i cant wait to see them on the battlefield >:smile: something is very enchanting about being some kind of new aged religious inquisitor/Judge Dredd type character in the zombie apocalypse. however might have to try out the aryan brother hood and US army too :grin: soo many ways to play cant wait to see your next updates!

Lumos said:
xPearse said:
I remember posting an image of these a while back but it seemed to have gotten buried by posts...
Just send him a PM. He'll read it without it getting buried by posts.

NightHawkreal said:
Personally, I think that the cartridges is bad currency.
You might be right, but judging from the last few pages, there is no better alternative, is it?
Oh also dont mean to double post i just forgot to add it in but honestly once the alpha is out and bullets really dont work and nobody likes them id imagine it wouldn't be that hard to change it back or add like a different version where bullets aren't currency,  Grand master wouldn't even necessarily have to do it per-say if he is super burnt out he could always give someone the right to do it from the community so i wouldn't worry too much :grin: 

ALECOS said:
Oh also dont mean to double post i just forgot to add it in but honestly once the alpha is out and bullets really dont work and nobody likes them id imagine it wouldn't be that hard to change it back or add like a different version where bullets aren't currency,  Grand master wouldn't even necessarily have to do it per-say if he is super burnt out he could always give someone the right to do it from the community so i wouldn't worry too much :grin: 
- Use the "Modify" button or the small "Modify message" icon right above your IP to edit a message instead of double-posting;
- When the alpha is out, if the bullets don't work and nobody really likes them;
- It really wouldn't be hard to remove if need be, so rest assured, everythign will be all right.
:razz:

The bullet system is badass, I cant see why anybody wouldnt like it  :wink: 

Also I am changing it, now the currency is "Shell Casings". Basically shell casings can be exchanged for anything you wish (as normal money), but they can also be used to craft ammunition. When combined with gunpowder, which is purchased from merchants at various settlements in the mod, shell casings can be crafted into 5 types of ammunition.

The weapons in the mod have been divided up into 5 different ammo types and I realize that this is not factual or correct but I have decided on 5 different types to keep things simple. The 5 types are

9mm Rounds - Pistols
.42 Magnum Round - Revolvers
.556mm Rounds - Automatic Rifles and some non-automatic rifles
.308 Rounds - Long Range rifles
12 Gauge Shells - Shotguns

If you wish to use a firearm in this mod you will have to craft ammunition as it is the cheapest way to obtain ammunition - you can purchase boxes of ammunition but this is a much more expensive way of obtaining ammo.

The main reason I have changed the system to use shell casings is that I can now have different ammunition types and have different costs for each. Also I realise gunpowder is no longer used in firearms, smokeless powder/propellant is used instead, but gunpowder just sounds so much cooler.

But instead of losing a "bullet"(money) everytime you shoot you gain one? (shell casing)

Good idea, I really like that. How would the crafting system work though, would you put it in Camp? or in a town maybe, where you have the needed tools/crafting station?

Matthieu said:
But instead of losing a "bullet"(money) everytime you shoot you gain one? (shell casing)
Basically yes, whenever you fire a shot you lose a round of ammunition but gain a shell casing. One round of ammunition is obviously worth a lot more than one shell casing however, so when you fire a shot there is an overall cost. Which means that players will still have to think when firing a shot as it does cost them. I could give you some fancy numerical example but I dont want people to think that it is complicated when it definitely isn't

Matthieu said:
How would the crafting system work though, would you put it in Camp? or in a town maybe, where you have the needed tools/crafting station?
I will probably make it done from the camp menu to keep things simple

i was going to suggest shell casings, but i thought otherwise lol. Anyone who owns a rare firearm knows how valuable spent shells are.

Only thing that annoys me is that  I don't think you'd be picking up every casing of every bullet you've shot in the middle of a battle. Couldn't you make it so you have to search for them after the battle (and only if you win, of course)? If you find all of them or not could depend on your looting/scavenging skill

HoJu said:
Only thing that annoys me is that  I don't think you'd be picking up every casing of every bullet you've shot in the middle of a battle. Couldn't you make it so you have to search for them after the battle (and only if you win, of course)? If you find all of them or not could depend on your looting/scavenging skill
This.

HoJu said:

Your making it so life like. I don't think anyone wants to spend minutes looking for casings after every single battle. Its a game supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Noone said you have to find them yourself. You get an amount of casings back if you win the battle, the amount depends on your loot skills. I think is pretty easy to understand...

So your number of shots in a battle is to do with how much you carry with you in your inventory? Because it seems interesting that you need to shoot a lot to buy anything, but you can't shoot too much or you will run out of money.

Hazzardevil said:
So your number of shots in a battle is to do with how much you carry with you in your inventory? Because it seems interesting that you need to shoot a lot to buy anything, but you can't shoot too much or you will run out of money.

Why do you need to shoot a lot to buy anything? You have completely misunderstood what I meant to say

- Shell casings are the currency in this mod (basically I have just changed the word "denars" to "shell casings")
they can be gained in all the normal warband ways - quests, trading ect.
- it just so happens that when you fire a gun you gain 1 shell casing (but this is very unimportant, I could remove it completely and it would have no effect)

What is confusing you is that the fact that ammunition is not infinite in this mod. Guns do not use infinite bullet bags like in native, they use ammunition (like your troops eat grain), when you fire a round it is gone forever and you have to craft/buy new ammunition, and it is the costs of crafting/buying bullets that makes players think about when using weapons.

The fact that you gain 1 shell casing when you fire a round is very unimportant, you are basically gaining 1 of natives "denars".

A numerical example may clear it up for you, or it may make it more complicated - this is what I had to draw up before I started the coding so ill put it i here anyway but do not pay too much attention to it
1 Round is composed of 2 parts
- 1 Shell Casing
- 1 Unit of Gunpowder

1 Shell casing has a value of 1 (as it is obviously 1 shell casing) and 1 unit of gunpowder has a value of 4 (4 shell casings)
Therefore the bullet being composed of 1 Shell Casing + 1 Unit of Gunpowder has a total value of 5 shell casings

- so 1 Round, has a value equal to 5 shell casings

This means that when you fire 1 round, although you gain 1 shell casing you are overall losing 4, as you are using the gunpowder.

Note I had to do this before the coding, you do not need to understand any of it

This may sound complicated but it is incredibly simple. You do not need even need to understand any of this in the mod, if you take away one idea from this entire post the following sentence would do - it is that ammunition costs money so you should think carefully when using it.

djogloc02 said:
Looks good. Perhaps in the future you can make a mini-mod that removes it and just make the ammunition expensive and small. But in the future, not now.
There is no logical reason to - just imagine the word "shell casing" is the word "denar" and it is exactly the same as native, just that use ammo when you fire a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom