The mystery of denars! Copper or silver?

What do you think denars are made of!

• Copper

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 82 65.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Who said:
my bet would be that BECAUSE there was more gold, it became more espensive. People said "oo shiny" and liked it and so then they wanted it more. And then gold became expensive.
Not quite how it works. One of the reasons precious metals are precious is because they're so rare: basic economics dictates that a plentiful supply of gold in any given market results in that market's price of gold dropping. Historically, gold has been worth more due to its rarity relative to other precious metals, its malleability (i.e. the ease with which it can be worked and shaped), its sheer beauty, and the fact (IIRC) that unlike silver and copper, it doesn't tarnish.

That being said, it'd be kinda neat to see a two-tiered monetary system in M&B, based on silver and gold coins like the Roman denarius and aureus. The Song of Ice and Fire mod for .903 had prices listed in a combination of dragons (gold) and stags (silver), with a certain number of stags being equal to one dragon. Not really that important for gameplay, but it was a nice feature for immersion's sake.

I agree, hauling around several tons in small coinage is definitely bad for immersion. :lol:
Also would be nice to be able to store money in chests. The chest does have a money counter, but I've found no way to actually put the money in it. I'd do it, too. Losing your hard-earned cash because the last mountain bandit managed to knock you out with a javelin is a pain in the ass.

and the correct answer is of course silver :smile:

there's a number of dialogs in game that refer to denars as silver:

"Well, it's not as simple as all that. Blunt weapons don't do as much damage as sharp ones, so they won't bring your enemies down as quickly.
And trust me, given the chance, most of the scum you run across would just as soon kill you as look at you, so don't expect any courtesy when you pull out a club instead of a sword.
Moreover, having to drag prisoners to and fro will slow down your party, which is why some people simply set their prisoners free after the fighting's done.
It's madness. How could anyone turn down all that silver, eh?"

"Remember, any prisoners you've got, bring them to me. I'll pay you good silver for every one."

"Is this a joke? I know full well that [...] gave you the money, and I want every denar owed to me... As far as I'm concerned, I hold you personally in my debt until I see that silver."

"Oh. Well, [...] did lend me some silver a ways back,
but I've done him many favours in the past and I consider that money as my due payment."

"Then there's nothing I can do for you, [...]. No silver, no pardon."

"Of course, I have plenty of silver in my coffers for loyal [men/women] like you. Do well by me, [...], and you'll rise high."

"Oh, then I spin them a few heartwarming tales of life on the galleys.
You'd be surprised what sorts of treasures a peasant can dig out of his cowshed or wheedle out of his cousins,
assuming he's got the proper motivation!
And if in the end they cannot come up with the silver, then there are always slave merchants who are looking for galley slaves.
One cannot do Heaven's work with an empty purse, you see."

"What? Of course not! Well, maybe I would, but the new captain of the guards is a dung-eating cheat.
I led him to this fugitive, and the man was worth his weight in silver as prize money. But I swear, I didn't see a penny of it.
The bastard took it all to himself. So your secret is safe with me."

"And that's not the only good news! Thanks to you, the looters have ceased to be a threat. We've not had a single attack reported for some time now.
  If there are any of them left, they've either run off or gone deep into hiding. That's good for business,
  and what's good for business is good for the town!
  I think that concludes our arrangement, [...]. Please accept this silver as a token of my gratitude. Thank you, and farewell." 

"Well well, look at this! You'd best start coughing up some silver, friend, or me and my boys'll have to break you."

"Silver without blood, that's our favourite kind. Pay us [xxx] denars and we'll let you be on your way."

Nicely collected. :grin: It's great to see the attention to detail and (quasi-) historicity even in small details like this. I'm literally sick of the fact that "gold pieces" have become a nearly universal currency in RPGs.

Red River said:
and the correct answer is of course silver :smile:

*extensive documentation*
Nicely done! I also noticed today that other nations offer you X amount of silver to buy back their captive nobles. Looks like we have a winner.

"What? Of course not! Well, maybe I would, but the new captain of the guards is a dung-eating cheat.
I led him to this fugitive, and the man was worth his weight in silver as prize money. But I swear, I didn't see a penny of it.

Captain of guards? I've never seen that dialogue before. Who says it and when?

Anyways, the denars are definitely silver.

Fei Dao said:

I am pretty sure it is referred to as silver or silver is at least mentioned in some dialogue.

Ah, this is a delightfully spammy topic! How wonderful :grin:

It's preposterous to think that there aren't multiple currency values of different denar coins. They're referred to as both copper AND silver, and the idea that every denar is a 1 denar coin is just absurd. You really think some knight buying an expensive reinforced suit of armor is going to sit there and count out all 6,739 denarii one by one like some old lady holding up the line at a bank? Get with the program, people :razz:

Adorno said:
Denar/dinar/denarii are common terms for coins throughout the European/Arab world.

Like the Roman Denar, a silver coin - denarius means "containing ten" in Latin.
Denarii is just the plural version of Denar.
or:
Dinar, an Arab coin (used in Algeria, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia etc.)

All in all a good bet would be that the Denar is a silver coin.

There are a lot of dinars, the Romans used among many other things, the denarius, and "denars" comes straight from the imagination of Armagan. Denarii is the plural of denarius.

The denar must be a coin with a very very small amount of silver.
I guess in the beginning there was a good amount of silver in the coin, but in time and due to the constant wars in Calradia the amount of silver shrunk. That's what happened to nearly every gold/silver coin in history. The rulers however and even archbishops cheated their subjects by lowering the amount of precious metal or other metals where mixed in.
Now that's what could explain the unrealisitc high prices.

Sibilance said:
Ah, this is a delightfully spammy topic! How wonderful :grin:

It's preposterous to think that there aren't multiple currency values of different denar coins. They're referred to as both copper AND silver, and the idea that every denar is a 1 denar coin is just absurd. You really think some knight buying an expensive reinforced suit of armor is going to sit there and count out all 6,739 denarii one by one like some old lady holding up the line at a bank? Get with the program, people :razz:

true that... to be fair I have to admit there's some copper denars as well mentioned in the dialogs. but not nearly as often as silver...

"Hah! Our little plot against [...] worked perfectly, [...].
The fool has lost one of his most valuable retainers, and we are one step closer to bringing him to his knees.
Here, this purse contains [xxx] denars, and I wish you to have it. You deserve every copper.
And, need I remind you, there could be much more to come if you've a mind to earn it..."

"And we'll all be a lot better off without him! Thank you, [...],
for removing this long-festering thorn from my side. 'Tis good to know you can be trusted to handle things
with an appropriate level of tactfulness.
A bounty I promised, and a bounty you shall have. 300 denars and not a copper less!"

"Some time ago, I loaned out a considerable sum of money to [...]. [xxx] denars, to be precise.
He was supposed to pay it back within a month but I haven't received a copper from him since.
That was months ago. If you could collect the debt from him on my behalf,
I would be grateful indeed. I would even let you keep one fifth of the money for your trouble.
What do you say?"

as a side note, the code refers to denars as gold (eq. troop_add_gold) :cool:

The denar is equivalent to a silver penny.

1 solidus (pound) = 20 schillings = 240 denar

European, Arabian and a few others used about this same setup for their currencies.

mfberg

I voted for silver. And i destroyed Rhodoks for talking more about copper than silver. It's silver!!! *drools* I want...

Lt. of the tower said:
Fei Dao said:

I am pretty sure it is referred to as silver or silver is at least mentioned in some dialogue.

Anyone gonna answer that? I'm interested too.

Btw why isn't there any gold at all in Calradia? Silver and copper are mentioned and visible in some other things too aside from denars, but there isn't even a glimpse of GOLD!! Honestly what would Calradian people think of gold if they would see some?

Ringwraith #5 said:
I agree, hauling around several tons in small coinage is definitely bad for immersion. :lol:
Also would be nice to be able to store money in chests. The chest does have a money counter, but I've found no way to actually put the money in it. I'd do it, too. Losing your hard-earned cash because the last mountain bandit managed to knock you out with a javelin is a pain in the ass.

Band of Warriors Expanded has a banking system :grin: Interest as well lol, although I'm not sure what happens if you default on your loans... I was too scared to find out :wink:

Coppers are probably smaller amounts of monetary division, while silver is the Denar. For example, in the states, you can translate it, more commonly:
"You deserve every penny."
"I haven't seen a penny of the money he owes me."

Instead of:

"You deserve every dollar."
"I haven't seen a dollar of the money he owes me."

The Mercenary said:
Coppers are probably smaller amounts of monetary division, while silver is the Denar. For example, in the states, you can translate it, more commonly:
"You deserve every penny."
"I haven't seen a penny of the money he owes me."

Instead of:

"You deserve every dollar."
"I haven't seen a dollar of the money he owes me."

There are pennies in M&B?

Back
Top Bottom