The mystery of denars! Copper or silver?

What do you think denars are made of!

• Copper

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 82 65.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Amagic said:
The Mercenary said:
Coppers are probably smaller amounts of monetary division, while silver is the Denar. For example, in the states, you can translate it, more commonly:
"You deserve every penny."
"I haven't seen a penny of the money he owes me."

Instead of:

"You deserve every dollar."
"I haven't seen a dollar of the money he owes me."

There are pennies in M&B?

yup and The Mercenary is spot on with that example. think of denars as dollars and copper(whatever it's called) as cents in M&B :smile:

The poll should be "silver or gold," not "silver or copper."  Gold is mentioned in the game, while copper is not.  Regardless, as pointed out, Calradian denars are clearly silver.

Red River said:
"Hah! Our little plot against [...] worked perfectly, [...].
The fool has lost one of his most valuable retainers, and we are one step closer to bringing him to his knees.
Here, this purse contains [xxx] denars, and I wish you to have it. You deserve every copper.
And, need I remind you, there could be much more to come if you've a mind to earn it..."

"And we'll all be a lot better off without him! Thank you, [...],
for removing this long-festering thorn from my side. 'Tis good to know you can be trusted to handle things
with an appropriate level of tactfulness.
A bounty I promised, and a bounty you shall have. 300 denars and not a copper less!"

"Some time ago, I loaned out a considerable sum of money to [...]. [xxx] denars, to be precise.
He was supposed to pay it back within a month but I haven't received a copper from him since.
That was months ago. If you could collect the debt from him on my behalf,
I would be grateful indeed. I would even let you keep one fifth of the money for your trouble.
What do you say?"

as a side note, the code refers to denars as gold (eq. troop_add_gold) :cool:

Benny Moore said:
The poll should be "silver or gold," not "silver or copper."  Gold is mentioned in the game, while copper is not.  Regardless, as pointed out, Calradian denars are clearly silver.

Copper IS mentioned. But yea, so is gold. I don't play .960, but in the version before that when you talked to the village elder, you say something like: "show me your wares, I will pay with gold."

Sound Chaser said:
Red River said:
"Hah! Our little plot against [...] worked perfectly, [...].
The fool has lost one of his most valuable retainers, and we are one step closer to bringing him to his knees.
Here, this purse contains [xxx] denars, and I wish you to have it. You deserve every copper.
And, need I remind you, there could be much more to come if you've a mind to earn it..."

"And we'll all be a lot better off without him! Thank you, [...],
for removing this long-festering thorn from my side. 'Tis good to know you can be trusted to handle things
with an appropriate level of tactfulness.
A bounty I promised, and a bounty you shall have. 300 denars and not a copper less!"

"Some time ago, I loaned out a considerable sum of money to [...]. [xxx] denars, to be precise.
He was supposed to pay it back within a month but I haven't received a copper from him since.
That was months ago. If you could collect the debt from him on my behalf,
I would be grateful indeed. I would even let you keep one fifth of the money for your trouble.
What do you say?"

as a side note, the code refers to denars as gold (eq. troop_add_gold) :cool:

Benny Moore said:

Copper IS mentioned. But yea, so is gold. I don't play .960, but in the version before that when you talked to the village elder, you say something like: "show me your wares, I will pay with gold."

Okay, so how's this. Gold is a very good type of denar. Silver is the common denar. Copper is the cheap denar.
My example, going back to the States again, is
Coppers are pennies.
Silvers are dollars.
Gold are ten dollar bills.

reaching back some posts, the conquistadores found mostly silver in the americas. Hence the name of the treasure fleets: silver armada/fleet.

Oskatat said:
reaching back some posts, the conquistadores found mostly silver in the americas. Hence the name of the treasure fleets: silver armada/fleet.

Umm, okay? I know they found gold...

Just for reiteration :razz:

Okay, so how's this. Gold is a very good type of denar. Silver is the common denar. Copper is the cheap denar.
My example, going back to the States again, is
Coppers are pennies.
Silvers are dollars.
Gold are ten dollar bills.

The problem with that is that the game mentions silver constantly and gold occasionally, but not copper.

Back when I took history classes, I was told that the Spanish found tons of gold.  There wasn't any mention of silver.

Well the Denar is the currency of Macedonia.  The name comes from the Roman coin called the Denarius.  It was made out of silver.

Right.  The currency of Calradia is the denar.  The game makes it quite clear that this currency is silver, even if it does not directly state that.  A minor argument could be made that it is gold, based on the one or two references to paying in gold, but the vast majority of the time characters specify paying in silver.  And there is no mention of copper anywhere in the game.  So, the poll choices should be "gold" and "silver," and silver should be winning.

Benny Moore said:
Right.  The currency of Calradia is the denar.  The game makes it quite clear that this currency is silver, even if it does not directly state that.  A minor argument could be made that it is gold, based on the one or two references to paying in gold, but the vast majority of the time characters specify paying in silver.  And there is no mention of copper anywhere in the game.  So, the poll choices should be "gold" and "silver," and silver should be winning.

Ya... Well i'm still looking for anyone else but the village elder to mention gold.

This is one of those things "annoying things that could be easly fixed but aren't" (there's a thread like that).

I should have added sea shells to the chocie too  :smile:

I always thought of the Libyan Dinar..Because my dad used to bring them back...usually coins. Told me to keep them safe aswell because they're rare. They were silver. But looking at the price of stuff in M&B I'd say that the currency isn't very strong and probably copper.

Benny Moore said:
Back when I took history classes, I was told that the Spanish found tons of gold.  There wasn't any mention of silver.

It is the general belief that gold was the primary export, but it really wasn't.

In fact, though the conquistadores took fabulous golden treasures from the cities and palaces, such as from the treasury of Atahualpa, from the mid 16th century the most profitable mines were all silver mines.

Not to say they didn't mine gold as well, but it was secondary.

Tangent said:
Benny Moore said:

It is the general belief that gold was the primary export, but it really wasn't.

In fact, though the conquistadores took fabulous golden treasures from the cities and palaces, such as from the treasury of Atahualpa, from the mid 16th century the most profitable mines were all silver mines.

They mined gold? I tought they robbed the natives of anything that had a golden glitter to it and smelted them into gold bars. Maybe they mined later on when the natives were mostly dead  :twisted:...

It will take about half a year before we reach that time in our history lessons... :sad:

Amagic said:
Tangent said:
Benny Moore said:

They mined gold? I tought they robbed the natives of anything that had a golden glitter to it and smelted them into gold bars. Maybe they mined later on when the natives were mostly dead  :twisted:...

It will take about half a year before we reach that time in our history lessons... :sad:

Ha! Sucks to be you! We started in the Paleolithic era, then the next day went to the Vikings, Phoenicians, Chinese, and such, the next day we went to the Diaspora of the Jews, then we went to 16th century and France and Spain...We're on the American Revolution at the moment...

Benny Moore said:
The problem with that is that the game mentions silver constantly and gold occasionally, but not copper.

copper is mentioned as much if not more than gold actually.. go back one page and see some of the quotes from the game dialogs...

Red River said:
Benny Moore said:

copper is mentioned as much if not more than gold actually.. go back one page and see some of the quotes from the game dialogs...

I failed at locating game quotes one page one that mentions copper in any way.

Ha! Sucks to be you! We started in the Paleolithic era, then the next day went to the Vikings, Phoenicians, Chinese, and such, the next day we went to the Diaspora of the Jews, then we went to 16th century and France and Spain...We're on the American Revolution at the moment...

Sound pretty random...

We did it by ages. First it was homeland history, then Ancient, after that Medieval and i'm at The New Age right now.

P.S I'm no sure what it's called. "The new age is just a guess". I think you get the point

Back
Top Bottom