The most interesting historical eras / periods

Users who are viewing this thread

GERRY

Knight
So whats your "favourite" historical era/period? Also feel free to say which periods you find uninteresting or not exciting.

These are mine:
1. WW1 because of the sheer size of the events, because it was the first real global conflict and also because of its immense results in history

2. Napoleonic Era because its exciting how one man was able to conquer nearly all of europe and because of the interesting warfare (somewhere inbetween modern and ancient warfare)

3. Victorian Era because of the cool architecture and because of the new globalisation (interesting period for Germany as well)

Kharille said:
Hm, something comes up.  Age of colonization.  Wonder if we can do a pizarro vs 7000 Aztecs armed with sharpened sticks simulation?

They have to die to each and every disease you bring, including the mighty sneeze. That would be realistic, then.  :wink:

My favourite eras are, broadly, the whole ten centuries of the middle ages, a period about which we generally know or understand little before some little digging/study, due to the demonization these whole 10 centuries endured by illuminists thinkers and the nationalist and romantic distortions of the XIX century. In particular, I'm interested in the Baltic area after the arrival of the first christian settlers and missionaries and the hard wars and struggles every part involved endured in a sort of eternal crusade that lasted almost two centuries.

Then there's the early modern history - the segment I'm more into, if I have to chose one, being the period of the Thirty Years War and the general matter of religious conflict. Curious fact, many of the horrible and brutal stuff often associated with the middle ages come from this era (1500-164:cool:

Last but not least, the Second World War, a conflict so immane I find it hard to even imagine it - and a subject of study that, despite being generally considered well known, still offers many dark sides and reasons of debate.

In general, I consider each and every era interesting, so what you've read above is just a very personal (and really incomplete) selection.

I'd have to agree that WW1 is a really fascinating era. It was a catastrophe of an event, but also an opportunity to be proud of your nationality and fight for your country. (Although being patriotic doesn't mean you have to start a world war, just saying  :oops:)

I, to be honest, also like the biblical eras the most. I'm currently reading the Bible, and am fascinated how the people lived during the Old Testament. Mesopotamia and the Middle East are really fun to study, especially when they're set in ancient times. Heck, I even have a little Lebanese in my veins, so I guess I feel at home  :cool:. What I really like is the culture, the stories, and the myths. There's something about it that just grabs my attention.

What I don't find interesting are the time periods between 1600-1880. I guess there was a lot going on, but I just don't find any of it intriguing.

Things you find interesting = things you've studied.
You'll notice that most people (ignore nationalists) become interested in historical periods they've played games about, or learned in school from an interesting teacher, or have this one book that they really enjoyed. I was in a lecture everybody wanted to avoid (economic development trends in premodern africa. Yaaaawn), but that all the slackers who ended up doing it found really interesting.

I believe no part of history is inherently more "interesting" than another, it's just how you learn it that affect your perception.

Pilgrim said:
I'd have to agree that WW1 is a really fascinating era. It was a catastrophe of an event, but also an opportunity to be too poor to buy out of war and die for your country.
The old lie, dulce et decorum est. :razz:

The twentieth century for sure.
In 1901' you were considered rich if you had a horse or bicycle as your mode of transport.
Flying was limited to military spotters in hot air balloons.
The idea that humans might set foot on the moon was something for novelists and nutters.
A little fat lady in London ruled more than a quarter of the world by measure of population, land area or wealth.
Holidays were holy days, and the rare national celebration like a crowning or independence day. People did not go on holiday.
Tertiary education, even secondary education, was the preserve of the very smallest minority.
Virtually nobody outside that same small minority, except perhaps the military, had ever been more than a days travel from their place of birth.

jacobhinds said:
I believe no part of history is inherently more "interesting" than another, it's just how you learn it that affect your perception.
Exactly. Every "era" or "period" is interesting, there are no inherently boring or uneventful ones.

Obviously my preference leans on the early 20th century, especially WW2, as that's going to be my field of specialty once I graduate, but I do enjoy reading/learning about other periods as well.

I'll echo medieval, though specifically for me, my interest is in the high and late eras, not so much the early medieval period or dark ages - though they're definitely interesting.
Mostly confined to western Europe and specifically Britain.

Those are my primary interests mostly through re-enactment and martial arts study.

I'm also into the Napoleonic Wars, Bronze Age and Ancient Greece.

Further afield, I find the Aztecs and particularly the Mayans very interesting, but don't know too much about them as of yet.

jacobhinds said:
Things you find interesting = things you've studied.
You'll notice that most people (ignore nationalists) become interested in historical periods they've played games about, or learned in school from an interesting teacher, or have this one book that they really enjoyed. I was in a lecture everybody wanted to avoid (economic development trends in premodern africa. Yaaaawn), but that all the slackers who ended up doing it found really interesting.

I remember my historical interest for WWII started with 1999 Medal of Honor for the old Playstation...good times!

jacobhinds said:

Quote.
I'd add to what you are saying that another thing that really affects our perceptions is that History - in Italy, at least, but I guess this apply in the whole of Europe (?) - is generally taught (and learn) in a very Eurocentric way. Then, each specific country teach history from that country - or anything it was - point of view. In medieval history, things are even worse, because there's an obvious  tendency to study local history. This way, there's a lot of things of possible interest that may be hidden somewhere to anyone, just waiting to be "discovered".

Funnily enough I find Siberia and its native peoples fascinating.  :lol: Furthermore, during that time you had the great conflicts between the Tang Dynasty and the nomadic tribal confederations of central Asia reaching into Siberia, and the emerging importance and movement of the Turks, which were centered around Lake Baikal at the time.

The thing is, there has always been stuff happening, somewhere in the world.french history in 1775 might be boring, but Spanish history of the same year are-grabbingly exciting.  If you get high on the evolution of intercultural relations then a long era of peace, trade and communication will be for you, whereas if you like gore, horror and devastation then the same era won't appeal... Quite so much.

It's been said already, oi nose.

I also find the macro historical trends interesting.  Compare how over the centuries China developed into a massive, multilingual and multicultural empire/nation, whilst Europe or Africa or the middle East developed into a collection of independent, often mutually opposed little countries/nations.

GERRY said:
2. Napoleonic Era because its exciting how one man was able to conquer nearly all of europe and because of the interesting warfare (somewhere inbetween modern and ancient warfare)

One man you say? Would have made for some interesting battles.

Havoc said:
GERRY said:

And in this lesson, class, we'll be learning about Superman Bonaparte!

1. Classical antiquity - Most interesting cultures, interactions, various pioneers in technological and philosophical developments and most interesting generals and battles.
2. Medieval times - In the grim darkness of the past.
3. Renaissance - Sweet art.

Bonkaholic said:
Havoc said:
GERRY said:

And in this lesson, class, we'll be learning about Superman Bonaparte!

Gokuaparte.

Well IMO the modern history is indeed more interesting than ancient is. Thats because modern history is actually more relevant today. Todays Ukraine is similar to 1900s Balkan in some aspects. But you really cant compare todays politics with the politics in ancient rome. Thats why its not as interesting IMO. Also, theres simply much more information about modern events. While you might only find one rerence of an ancient battle youll find dozens, more likely hundreds of battle reports etc of battles within the last 200 years.

Back
Top Bottom