The Mead Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

I would call it satire, though some might easily confuse that with an attempt to start a flame war. I mean, let's be honest here, if someone wanted a flame war I doubt they'd bother writing anything so long and detailed when "lol U gis sux" would do :lol:

Ps: The reference might be old but screw it, you should've seen Starship Troopers by now!

sBleC7e.jpg

Starship Troopers, awesome, underrated, often misunderstood movie.

hrotha said:
sBleC7e.jpg

But how can they misunderstand "the USA is bestest!" "War is really fun!" "Patriotism is good!" "Segregating people based on a notion of duty fulfilled by military service is awesome!" and most important of all: "Humans are totally competent and infallible!"

And if anyone thought that wasn't said with the exact same sarcasm/satire/political commentary as the movie, shame on you :evil:

On some rather more serious news: Steam is down worldwide :shock: How am I supposed to waste time playing random videogames instead of studying now? :roll:

E: HA, I knew it. The moment I posted this Steam started working again. Back to random flaming!

Ain't no longbows gonna save you from Sampo!

KickingJoub said:
But how can they misunderstand "the USA is bestest!" "War is really fun!" "Patriotism is good!" "Segregating people based on a notion of duty fulfilled by military service is awesome!" and most important of all: "Humans are totally competent and infallible!"

And if anyone thought that wasn't said with the exact same sarcasm/satire/political commentary as the movie, shame on you :evil:
I know, right? It's not exactly subtle. And yet, I've encountered countless people who were all "I liked the movie, but I liked the book better. I don't think the movie captured the book as well as it could have". LIKE, SERIOUSLY?

Wernicke said:
Here follows an essay on a regularly occurring tragedy.
Hats off! You have made quite an effort there, Wernicke. What a pity that at least parts of the target group did apparently not get the message.
Leifr Eiríksson said:
I like the part where the Jomsviking completely misunderstood the situation as per usual. We even had the classic "I wasn't there but I am outraged..." Jomsburger.
Self-reflection is a delicate art I am afraid.

hrotha said:
Even if Wernicke's article did not cause anything else at all, at least it prompted me to finally watch Starship Troopers.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Noob GFTO.
Go fathom the obvious?

Leifr Eiríksson said:
I am permanently built into Víkingr; this has my blood, sweat and tears imbued within - I am never without Víkingr.
It sounds like you are talking about your beard.

Hospes fori said:
Even if Wernicke's article did not cause anything else at all, at least it prompted me to finally watch Starship Troopers.
Likewise. I'd seen it before but that was in a nightclub where they were playing it on small screens around the place but, alas, there was no sound. That was how I first watched the Dredd film as well. Hey-ho.

I wish Sean Bean was young again. No doubt he has to be in somehow.'

EDIT: Gods, I just realised what you were on about. That would be brilliant with the younger version of those two!

Only thing is in the books Finan is described as being short and thin. Daragh is a little on the tall side and quite broad shouldered. Oh well, there can be 'interpretations'.

Not like directors ever pay attention to what's in the literature they're "basing" their movie on, anyway. I shall not watch it - for there lingers an omnious feeling that it is going to be terrible.

My asscheeks are so uptight about this they could crack a nut.

Back
Top Bottom