The Final Version Of Mount&Blade

Which Is The Most Important To The Final Version Of M&B?

• Variety of Missions and Combat Settings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character Customization & Leveling

• Challenging but never frustrating Action

• Great Story Progression & Plot Twists

• Vibrant Free-form Play and Goals

• None of the above (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I was thinking in terms of a finished version of Mount & Blade rather than what the game currently lacks.

So if we could limit the replies to what about the final version of the game would you envision as the most important, the thing that would get you hooked on M&B the most.

Thanks.

I said challenging gameplay and what have you. The reason is the way you worded the question. Variety and replayability are my top choices in games (like KOTOR) and I am not really concerned with plot (ever play Dynasty Warriors? One of the most fun games out there but it has absolutely no depth). However, since you asked what would get me hooked on playing the most, I went with challenging because nothing makes me play a game more than revenge on those who kicked my ass.

I always like M&B for great combat gameplay and vast free-form. That is a tough choice. Combat is fully installed here righ now (version 0.632) but openess is a tad lacking. I dunno what but it is just gut feeling (fell free to ignore that). I am not say combat couldn't be better but it is great enough for me. I find myself unable to stop playing, even thoughit some tim is just aim and kill.

Ah, then, somebody mentions KOTOR, which is my 2nd most fav CRPG around.

Good story is necessary but I see vast potential here. Unless we get some taste of the story to come, I cannot say how much I want it right now.

CMutton.

this thread pretty much fums up my feelings on what i want the game to be. A microcosm of a real world situation. No story as such, just background, and an ability to end up as pretty much anything. I want to be able to become a count or a member of the Dark hunters or sold off to Galeas as a salt worker.

A game where at first you feel overwhelmed at how insignificant you are, and how little you effect the world, but as you play, you begin to take effect, and where upon asking what people are talking about, peasants will reply with more than 'Prices, weather, the war, the usual.'

[/url]

I think that all of this options are important for final version. There must be nice story (but it's not so important as the freedom of action), upgrades of troops and hero itself, but the main value must be COMBAT. So what is most important as for me it is: combat, freedom of action and character and troops leveling.

It would be nice to have a good lot of role playing content to go with the mechanics, but if that's all moddable then it wont be too huge a problem, hopfully.

Is it too much to ask for multiplayer? Is that something that will/might happen?

Sorry, im new and a search didn't bring up anything about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it - doesn't look like it'll happen :sad:

I don't care for MP. I voted for story, but after seeing the results I have to agree, that the free form of the game is one of it's main strengths today, and I'd hate to see that go. The combat system is the other strong point making battles more fun than in any other game.

Think Darklands with great combat (and a less annoying copy-protection)...

Freedom of action is great, but thats more ore less what we have right now. I would also appreciate a nice story with some drama and some very well developed characters. The battle system is plain awesome and good enough to keep going for hours, even if its always the same generic random missions and fighting set-ups. But if there was really something happening in terms of storytelling and with towns, places and NPCs becoming less generic and more individual then this little gem of a game could become fantastic.

The Gothic Games for example, while not dealing with horses or armys, have succeded in presenting an incredibly deep and athmospheric storyline and a good and challenging fighting system while still giving enough freedom to roam and explore. Way better (imo) than any other RPG I've seen.

I think the combat will be the most important thing in the final version (pretty much as it is already), so I picked:
Challenging but never frustrating Action

But I would like to see more depth in story/quests/etc just so you always have something to do, something with more depth then the current jobs.

I think a variety of settings and combats would be the most important aspect of the finished game - something that takes the gem of the game as it is now and adds more real world feeling. I would like to be able to recruit soldiers which will become Khergits armed with bows while mounted, so that my whole band could be horse archers, or be able to recruit a pike brigade troop - its great being able to equip my heroes in a particular way, but I think the game would benefit from greater customisation with the rank and file troops, along with some more complex orders. Id like to be able to fight in deserts or snow or thick forest, all of which would require a different style of warband to utelise.

tsuken said:
I think the combat will be the most important thing in the final version (pretty much as it is already), so I picked:
Challenging but never frustrating Action

But I would like to see more depth in story/quests/etc just so you always have something to do, something with more depth then the current jobs.

Yes, you and pere pointed out something that I was struggling with in creating the poll:

It's practically a given that this game needs its combat system (Challenging but never frustrating Action) to be top-notch.

However, we already HAVE that (or close to it).

So one could argue that I need not have given it as an option because it's the other stuff that needs work on. I kept it because I thought too many "other" votes might be made to remind us of the combat system and because the "final version" will be what newcomers see.

Anyway, the poll is an indirect way of finding out what's important to forum members and another way of generating discussion for "what the game needs." (Presumably you've already voted on this nonscientific poll so reading it won't affect your vote.)

All Armagan needs to create is a richer, more dynamic world. A simple dynamic trade economy with roads, and dynamic factions that produce goods, train troops, take towns and steal resources. This would give practically infinite gameplay. So instead of being asked to round up 10 sumpter horses, you are asked to sneak into an enemy town and burn their warehouses. "Bandits" would constitute mini factions and their hideouts would make suitable "dungeons". And then there's no reason the player couldn't possess a town or hideout to keep his stuff, train troops for adventuring purposes, manufacture weapons, etc.

I think that stories with character development should be left to the community to create. Once mod tools are out, the legions of pasty fourteen-year olds will be gnashing to write their own epics that will surely eclipse anything poor armagan can create in his limited time.

M&B needs to aim at being more of a roleplaying tool providing the basis described above and giving the community the power to create whatever they want.

The real joy in P&P roleplaying doesn't come from modules, but from the original stuff the core books help us create. M&B has the power to be the same.

Look at any robust community, see what amazing stuff the modders are doing, and then listen to what they WISH they could do if it weren't for the developer's deaf ears. The Rome:Total War community is an excellent example.

Its a toss up between vibrant free form play and goals, and varied combat settings and missions. I had to go with free form.

Ingolifs said:
A microcosm of a real world situation. No story as such, just background, and an ability to end up as pretty much anything. I want to be able to become a count or a member of the Dark hunters or sold off to Galeas as a salt worker.

A game where at first you feel overwhelmed at how insignificant you are, and how little you effect the world, but as you play, you begin to take effect, and where upon asking what people are talking about, peasants will reply with more than 'Prices, weather, the war, the usual.'
This is exactly what I want out of M&B. The great combat system is already there, so they should focus on building a robust, dynamic world, complete with conquerable and raidable cities, bandit hideouts, dungeons, and so on.

Telcontar said:
a robust, dynamic world, complete with conquerable and raidable cities, bandit hideouts, dungeons, and so on.

Yes, that's why I voted for Variety of Missions and Combat Settings though free-form play/goals is just as important really.

This is my first post so I have to say, WOW! I am so impressed!

A vibratant world is the key to this game. Lots of little stories, not one big one. Add small villages. Fill in all the details (i.e. furniture, etc) The more the better. People love to explore. Let me become a landed knight with my own castle and vasels who are glad to see me when I return home, if I treat them well.

Man! I can't get over how impressive this is, I think all the big boys who get paid to make games with massive budgets should take lessons from the creator of this game.

Ingolifs said:
A microcosm of a real world situation. No story as such, just background, and an ability to end up as pretty much anything. I want to be able to become a count or a member of the Dark hunters or sold off to Galeas as a salt worker.

I agree with this

Back
Top Bottom