The endless loop of trying to create your own kingdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

I thought I'd post my frustrating experiences here, and see if there's tips and/or if anyone is experiencing the same problem(s).

The economy is still a nightmare, in my opinion and it almost makes me want to entirely quit playing. I am, however, hoping for actual updates to this.
I should probably preface this with; I despise rush tactics. I don’t want to “hurr durr” conquer the entire map quickly. I want to actually, you know, run a kingdom and make decisions for said kingdom. Conquering the entire map quickly invalidates the entire point of this game for me. Now, back to the economy.

First off, Smithing is still stupidly overpowered, money wise. Even if you can’t always unload it.
Depending on luck with what components get unlocked, you can craft 30k+ sellables within the first half hour, or an hour, of gameplay. Within two hours, you’re probably crafting two handed swords worth 100k+ a piece.
Now, since you, in my experience, need to be extremely lucky to find a city with 30k or more money, you have tons of stuff that can’t be unloaded without a serious cut in profits. I’m not sure what effect it’ll have, in the long run, to keep selling it off for whatever a city can afford, but I’m pretty sure it’s nothing positive.
Now, let’s say you want to go around crafting and trading a bit, in peace. You’ll quickly be able to afford a few caravans, even if it seems like pocket change compared to the wealth of items in your inventory.
So you do this for a while, and eventually you can have around 150 men in your army. Now what?

First of all, your army will cost you around 2-3000 denars per day, depending on unit upgrades. Since there’s barely any decent traders for caravans in the game, and the workshops are basically worthless unless you’re really lucky for a short while, the steady sort of income won’t be enough to keep you afloat, and since war-riddled cities are poorer than most peasant families, you can’t offload your wares anywhere on the map without immense losses in profits.

You could take a castle, though, right? Well, no, because all castles will, at this point, have 250-300 men guarding them. Even if it’s sometimes lower, this would be on the front lines where 400+ armies will be lingering, waiting to pounce on you. Taking cities will induce the same problems, unless you’re lucky enough to take it before reinforcements arrive. Then you’ll just have to hold it.

So, you can’t afford your armies, you can’t take a castle and you can’t take a city. You’re forced to merc out for gold, because it’s the ONLY available gameplay at this point. Unless you’re playing with mods that add units and other factions, there’s literally nothing else to do. You could hunt minor factions, but since you would, at this point, need to kill around 80 of their armies to get the same value as one of your smithing swords, it’s basically worthless to do so, aside from unit xp.
Doing this presents even more of a problem, because your traders may be good at trading, but they have no idea what an enemy looks like, and will waddle into enemy territory and get captured all the time. So you’ll have even more problems affording your army. You could fire some, but that’ll leave you even less suited for taking a castle when the opportunity may/may not arise.
And thus begins the eternal loop of uselessness.

1. Smitthing is OP yes. Two handed swords and javelins quickly reach ridiculous prices. The advancement in smithing is based on the value of the weapons crafted and javelins can reach up to 130k. So why worry about money? Sell one pack of javelin in a city and buy the most expensive armor etc at the same time to balance out the money and get money and items worth 100 k or so. Visit to other cities and unload the bought armor and you get your 100 k for a javelin... so if you use smithing, money doesn't really matter. Imho the prices of crafted stuff need a big nerf, like only achieving 1/10 of the current prices.
For workshops: Tanneries in khuzait territory or everywhere else where there are lifestock villages nearby (which is pretty much everywhere). Work fine, like 400 profit a tannery. Wool workshops also are nice, about 200-300 a day. Breweries in grain towns like askar or omor as well, 200-300. The other workshops like linen weavers, smiths, silversmiths often struggle even if the resource villages are nearby.
Caravans: Use the right companions, those with scouting/medicine and high int/charisma/cunning (best all above 3). They don't need to be fighters and with high attribute charisma trade will level quickly, as will steward, medicine and scouting. Automated caravans can make decent profits. Give them the elite guards for 22,5 k not the standard ones.
Armies: You can't take castles on your own, isn't meant to be that way. Join a faction at least as merc, gain infl. and form an army, if you just take one lord you level leadership for a long time, don't take to many. That way you humbly level leadership and engineering for your future kingdom. Though that takes really long without mods, even with mods. Xou can also trade fiefs as a lord when you are a high level trader, where these javelins come in handy again :wink: (oh that castle is worth 7 javelins, didn't know ^^)

if you have an army that costs 2-3000 denars then go on and take some cities.
if you have 3 cities you make 15000 a day and you dont care about money anymore.

mercenaries np
wages of thousands in you garrision np
buying everything.

if you are only vasall with one castle then you dont need so much money.

then you bake little cookies.

the real problems begin when you start to play as kingdom.

everything else is working good enough to play

If you are actually the ruler of a kingdom, you have the ability to form armies. You can form a kingdom by either completing the main quest line or trying the new kingdom sandbox. I did the former.

Now, form multiple parties using your followers and wait until they have near their maximum strength. You can put troops in yourself, but they will get them on their own and slowly train them.

Now, form an army and go attack a city or castle which was recently taken so the garrison is weaker. You must be at war with the faction first. Raid a village you don't care about to start this process.

Still don't have enough troops? Convince lords to be your vassal. I personally needed the mod, Defection Overhaul, but afaik it is broken in 1.4.2 so I use 1.4.1 and it is fine.

I control 75% of the map and am making 10-20k denars per day. Ask your questions.

@Astragus I'd have to visit 6-8 cities to offload just one of these items, because the cities do not have adequate gold to cover it. Eventually their treasuries are depleted, and with constant wars they aren't really getting filled back up. Eventually I can't sustain an army of a decent size, because the "passive" income from workshops and caravans are not enough. Add to that, as mentioned, that caravans are near to useless because they get captured all the time, I'm still getting nowhere.

@Relgior I can't take a castle and/or city, with 150 men. I'll be lucky if a castle has below 300 defenders, even worse with cities. And again, with constant waves of armies of 100+ people, and main armies of 500+, there's no way in hell I can defend it, once taken.

@Concomitant I can't form a kingdom, because I don't have a castle or a city. I can't "complete" the main quest either, without one (declare as independent kingdom). Until I've actually taken a castle and declared myself a kingdom, I cannot form an army, as the "kingdom" tab is not available.

@Concomitant I can't form a kingdom, because I don't have a castle or a city. I can't "complete" the main quest either, without one (declare as independent kingdom). Until I've actually taken a castle and declared myself a kingdom, I cannot form an army, as the "kingdom" tab is not available.
Ah that is correct. There are several castles with level 1 walls you can hunt down. Go scout around a bit until you find one. Again, look for ones which recently fell, as they are the easiest. Which difficulty do you play on?

i have an 300 men army and most of them are tier 5.
i dont pay 3000 denars.
you told us that your wage is to high.

if you have a small 150 men army you arent big enough.

you have to wait untill you are tier 5 clan.

if your king wont give fiefs because he is loosing his kingdom then switch over to the winning team.

if you are tier 4 they will give you one or 2 castles.
if you are tier 5 your king will give you a city if he takes new cities.

when you have your city you will mak a lot of money and you have to wait for the right moment to leave kingdom.

if you have 2 million or more and good companions maybe you marry a wife that also have a party then you have to wait untill your king is in war with at least 3 others.

that is the right point to create kingdom.
take position at a fief you can easy get.

create kingdom get the fief and make peace.

then you have a bit time to search vasalls and mercenaries.

if your army is big enough go to next fief declare war catch the fief and make peace.

and so on and so on.

you will see its to easy at the moment.
but we also have 1 big problem in 1.42
you cant convince vasalls.
its bugged.
so start a new kingdom in 1.42 is not a good idea.

I think the biggest thing is that you're missing a step in the game's most designed path. You're meant to join a kingdom as a vassal to gain a fief first, then later rebel and create your own kingdom, rather than just creating a kingdom from scratch as a minor tier 1-3 clan. You can do it, but it's not really meant to be an easy path to success. Before that, you want to keep your army fast enough to catch bandits for profits, especially the tougher ones like sea raiders that drop better loot. Sometimes it's worth picking a fight with a minor clan that's not attached to a kingdom if their armies are small enough for you to beat. You have to be careful which ones you pick on, though. Avoid tougher ones with larger armies or stronger troops. Hidden Hand, for instance, tend to have smaller armies with decent medium loot. And they're canonically mafia so you don't have to feel bad about attacking them if you're playing a good guy character. :wink: The smithing is a great source for upgrade cash and front money for workshops, but shouldn't be your go to plan for daily upkeep for the reasons you specified. Mostly, you earn by fighting. And for that, you need to keep your army at a size that's effective but doesn't cost more than you can consistently earn. And also be willing to move to other areas when you clear out most of the looters in one zone.

Of course, keep in mind that becoming a vassal of a kingdom means any kingdom they go to war with will seize your workshops in their cities, so it's best to put your workshops in a kingdom you intend to join. Enemy lords will also target your caravans as they wander through the war zones trying to deliver to recently besieged locations that want to pay a lot of money for their goods. Caravans are kind of dumb and consider it a good risk to walk through warzones for a profit instead of sticking to safer areas. Even those that do stick to safer areas still may run afoul of lesser enemy lords raiding villages who happen upon them. And then you'll get to run to the other end of the map to pick him up again from whatever tavern he lands in after he's released.

@Astragus I'd have to visit 6-8 cities to offload just one of these items, because the cities do not have adequate gold to cover it. Eventually their treasuries are depleted, and with constant wars they aren't really getting filled back up. Eventually I can't sustain an army of a decent size, because the "passive" income from workshops and caravans are not enough. Add to that, as mentioned, that caravans are near to useless because they get captured all the time, I'm still getting nowhere.

@Relgior I can't take a castle and/or city, with 150 men. I'll be lucky if a castle has below 300 defenders, even worse with cities. And again, with constant waves of armies of 100+ people, and main armies of 500+, there's no way in hell I can defend it, once taken.
It is not that hard. Join a faction, get to clan tier 3, better 4 at least, fill your fief with your best troops (to the brink) and as Relgior said, rebel at the right moment. Letting enemy lords go beforehand for charm and relation helps then a lot. Having a few tanneries covers the daily costs, and loot should be enough on it's own anyway. I use autotrader for loot.

its bugged.

I just now experienced that problem. Reblled, Rhagea was at war with the 3 big factions left (Vlandia of course, Aserai and northern empire, western empire, khuzait and battania more or less crushed) and I rebelled. Tried to get my friend Oros on board. But when I talk to him and click "click to continue" the game is stuck. You reload a safe but the same happens again. In 1.4.1 I could try to convince lords. Is there some workaround?

i have an 300 men army and most of them are tier 5.
i dont pay 3000 denars.
you told us that your wage is to high.

if you have a small 150 men army you arent big enough.

you have to wait untill you are tier 5 clan.

if your king wont give fiefs because he is loosing his kingdom then switch over to the winning team.

if you are tier 4 they will give you one or 2 castles.
if you are tier 5 your king will give you a city if he takes new cities.

when you have your city you will mak a lot of money and you have to wait for the right moment to leave kingdom.

if you have 2 million or more and good companions maybe you marry a wife that also have a party then you have to wait untill your king is in war with at least 3 others.

that is the right point to create kingdom.
take position at a fief you can easy get.

create kingdom get the fief and make peace.

then you have a bit time to search vasalls and mercenaries.

if your army is big enough go to next fief declare war catch the fief and make peace.

and so on and so on.

you will see its to easy at the moment.
its bugged.

I'm not sure what kinds of mods you're playing with, or if you're playing on a lower game difficulty that adjusts wages and pricing.
I've advanced a bit and I now have a total of two cities (Omor and Myzea). Now, someone here said that owning a city would "give 15k a day".The two cities and the three castles I own combined, do not yield that much gold. Especially when the garrisons are taken into consideration,. To mention some of my finances, currently:
Land tax: -110.15
Settlements (towns) total: +2203
City of Omor (buildings inside are tier 2 or above): +380
City of Myzea (Most buildings are tier 1, some tier 2): +612
Two caravans (both spice vendors): +1962
Income from parties: +1542
Total garrison wages: -12496
Main army party wages: -5056

In total, I'm at -11381 PER DAY.
If I didn't play with mods that adds other factions/separatists/bandits, there'd be no chance in hell of staying afloat at all, as the game would only, basically, have looters.

Last edited:
You can sell to lords. Admittedly at a reduced price, but the wealthier lords have millions of denars. Knock out a load of javelins, and sell them in bulk.

You can sell to lords. Admittedly at a reduced price, but the wealthier lords have millions of denars. Knock out a load of javelins, and sell them in bulk.

You mean in proposals?
So far, Lucon has 25k, Derthert has 4529 (no k) and Monchug has 8711 (also, no k). :/

Also, setting aside how utterly moronic the proposals window is, when dealing with denars and items, the only lords that seem to have money, will pay 213k for items worth a total of 700k. So.. yeah, reduced price indeed :razz:

They're worth what you can get for them, same as the real world. If you don't want to sell to lords, don't, but then don't complain there's no way to get money. Glad you've found some lords with cash though. I'm guessing the kings etc spend cash on mercenaries and everything else, but lords with towns can have big money. Especially by the time you've been playing long enough to have a high tier.

EDIT - And lets be honest, you can make a 100k javelin for the cost of a bit of iron and a few pieces of hardwood. Is it really that important if you only get 40k for each set, rather than 100k?

They're worth what you can get for them, same as the real world. If you don't want to sell to lords, don't, but then don't complain there's no way to get money. Glad you've found some lords with cash though. I'm guessing the kings etc spend cash on mercenaries and everything else, but lords with towns can have big money. Especially by the time you've been playing long enough to have a high tier.

EDIT - And lets be honest, you can make a 100k javelin for the cost of a bit of iron and a few pieces of hardwood. Is it really that important if you only get 40k for each set, rather than 100k?

The materials for creating these isn't free. It's not "just iron", it's fine steel and themaskene steel, which isn't simple to come by. Not to mention the actual time investment of waiting for close to a month outside a city to craft 8 swords.

Currently, using the city of Omor again as an example, with a tier 3 marketplace and positive loyalty, prosperity, and security, yields a total of 604 gold per day. The garrison inside cost 1365 per day. That's twice of what the city is generating in revenue. That alone is a huge problem. Sure, I could fire all the expensive units and let some random kingdom besiege me within a day, because there's no defense. Running a kingdom is not sustainable at all, as it stands now (on higher difficulty, not sure if that matters economy wise).
My problem is, that the kingdom is literally bleeding money, unless I want to not have said kingdom, because I can't defend it.

The materials for creating these isn't free. It's not "just iron", it's fine steel and themaskene steel, which isn't simple to come by. Not to mention the actual time investment of waiting for close to a month outside a city to craft 8 swords.

Experiment dude. You can create 100k swords needing nothing more than steel. Javelins can sell for 100k, using just 1 piece of iron, 1 hardwood and 1 charcoal. The game doesn't give equal value to every piece. High damage seems to be most rewarded, so build a weapon that produces the highest damage stats, but that could just be me seeing something that's not quite right, since my high damage 2 handed axe isn't worth much, but high damage swing only swords, are worth 100k (1 piece of steel, then mostly iron/wrought iron).

You can wait inside a city, when you say month, do you mean 30 in game days?

Experiment dude. You can create 100k swords needing nothing more than steel. Javelins can sell for 100k, using just 1 piece of iron, 1 hardwood and 1 charcoal. The game doesn't give equal value to every piece. High damage seems to be most rewarded, so build a weapon that produces the highest damage stats, but that could just be me seeing something that's not quite right, since my high damage 2 handed axe isn't worth much, but high damage swing only swords, are worth 100k (1 piece of steel, then mostly iron/wrought iron).

You can wait inside a city, when you say month, do you mean 30 in game days?

Again, either difficulty of the game adjusts prices, or you're playing with mods.
The highest Javelin I can make currently, requires 1 wrought iron, 1 iron, 1 fine steel, 1 hardwood and 1 charcoal and that only has a value of 11k.
Edit: Granted, yes, I do realise that I can pay for my army with 1 of these, per day. But are cities seriously not supposed to be able to support a decent garrison?

Last edited:
Again, either difficulty of the game adjusts prices, or you're playing with mods.
The highest Javelin I can make currently, requires 1 wrought iron, 1 iron, 1 fine steel, 1 hardwood and 1 charcoal and that only has a value of 11k.
Edit: Granted, yes, I do realise that I can pay for my army with 1 of these, per day. But are cities seriously not supposed to be able to support a decent garrison?

No mods, max difficulty, latest beta. Stop trying to use the highest tier, experiment.

Narrow menavlon head, max length, tree branch for handle, max length. No guard, no pommel. It's gives a stack of 5 javelins, with 110 piercing damage, they're amazing.

For 2 handed sword, pointed falchion blade tier4, (or star blade at tier 3 definitely works) max size. I have 2 tier 3 guards, both using only iron, knobbed guard, max size, got a tier 4 tapered horn grip that only uses wrought iron, then a luck tier 5 pommel using 1 steel, but I've used others. Making this sword right now, 4 wrought iron, 1 iron, 1 steel, 1 charcoal, got lucky and got two green stats on it. Tradeable for 106659 denars.

I've created a huge variety of those swords, with several different pieces used, and they've consistently been 50-100k.

Don't focus on just the best pieces, focus on the best stats, and generally extreme stats.

EDIT - Oh, and I only have 17 in trade, and 18 in charm. I also DO NOT have artisan smith, so no benefits there.

Back
Top Bottom