The Dictionary - what do the words mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

i agree with meanmelter. some interspersed old english/anglosaxon will pose hardly any problem for british, scandinavians and germans and latin will be no problem for native speakers of romanic languages such as french, spanish, italian. and welsh and old irish... well, you can ask in the dictionary thread or look it up.
so the average european will understand half of the old words and will easily be able to find out about the rest...

only the problem of our transatlantic, mostly history-abstinent friends remains... guess they will be forced to learn something  :wink:

ok heres some real welsh words

rhyfelwr = warrior

arglwydd = lord

ymosodiad = attack

marchoglu = cavalry

cleddyf = sword

rhufeinig = roman

wal darian = shield wall

Ligor Ceaster = (AS) Ligore (dwellers on the 'River Legro' ) - (an early name for the River Soar) castra (camp) = Leicester

iskar said:
varchogyon = guardians(?): this one seemed strange to me. the dictionary didnt seem to have anything similar in store first. but i found "gwarchod" which means "to guard" and looks quite similar and still has the characteristic -archo-syllable in it, -yon is a plural suffix. considering, that welsh has changed too over the years, this would make the varchogyon "guardians".

Incidentally, it has come to me that the reason you can't find this is that it seems to be a funny spelling - unless I'm much mistaken it should be Marchogyon, which I can only take to be the plural of "marchog" - a horseman.

King Ragnarok said:
cadeyrn = battle king        (celtic words)
alroy = red haired
aneurin = honourable
cadifor = battle lord
cariad = captain
canlyn = castle
captan = sing
deri =  metal
dyfan = tribe ruler
ellan vannin = isle of man
gaeleg = gaelic

hafgan = summer
iau = count/earl
llyn = loch
mack = son of king
oscar = warrior
saidear = soldier
sealgair = hunter
tad = dad
weyland = god of smiths
idibil you have some stuff to type  :lol:

I'm 99% percent sure that isn't Irish. I don't speak much myself, or any Old Irish really, but I've studied on the topic and the spellings and some of the sounds don't seem to fit. Maybe Breton or Cornish? I don't know terribly much about either language.

Also I just wanted to say Kudos to the Brytenwalda team on the naming. I rarely ever see correctly spelled Modern Irish names, let alone Old Irish ones.

Hlaford comes from the word "hlaf", a loaf, and indicates a "loaf giver". C.f. Late Roman times when a nobleman's personal guard were his "buccelarii" - biscuit or loaf eaters.

Airig (arras - plural?)
Curraidh
Fian - I can presume that it reffers to an Irish traditional cast of hunters and warriors? In my language I met the world Fenii (pl) for them.
Bothach
Ceither
Ocaire
Deaisbard (?)
Ri - King? And what are Tiarna and Ard Tiarna?

Please translate my Irish troops for me  :grin:

Nordous said:
Airig (arras - plural?)
Curraidh
Fian - I can presume that it reffers to an Irish traditional cast of hunters and warriors? In my language I met the world Fenii (pl) for them.
Bothach
Ceither
Ocaire
Deisaband
Ri - King? And what are Tiarna and Ard Tiarna?

Please translate my Irish troops for me  :grin:

Arras - Free men or nobles, I think the proper spelling is "Aires". There were many grades - from the realtively lowly "Bo Aires" or cattle lords who were basically prosperous farmers, all the way to the High King.

Curraidh - Champion. Later often translated as Knight, as in "Knights of the Red Branch."

Fian - Warband, plural form is "Fianna" of mythical fame. The members of such a band are called Fennid.

Bothach - A poor peasant, herdsman, labourer or other landless worker.

Ceither(ne) - A band or troops of levied soldiers. Anglicised to Kern.

Ocaire - Another rank of farmer, one who owned seven of each of the major animals - cows, sheep and pigs.

Ri - King.

Tiarna - Lord

Ard Tiarna - High Lord

Ard Ri - High King

Well I'm sorry but I didn't go looking at everyone's names. I didn't really care that much, I just was wondering.

And I don't think the word actually means Prince. I think it's more like Noble or Royal Heir.

Its root word is actually "Aethel" which simply means noble. Originally it has no connotation of being the only heir, merely someone of royal blood who wouldbe entitled to claim the kinship with the support of the nobles. It literally means "nobly born" or something of the sort - "ing" is a patronymic.

Throughout Anglo-Saxon times the eldest son was not necessarily the heir to the throne - a "witan" or council of the nobles and chief churchmen chose the king from among the eligible Aethelings.

The word for "Elder" is "Ealdor" in old English ,and does crop up in noble titles - Ealdormann chiefly, though Ealdorthegn was also used.

Back
Top Bottom