The 2014 FIFA World Cup, and the protests in Brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellenbrecher said:
That was Netherlands - Argentina, not Germany - Brazil.

I suppose that shows just how much I care about the whole thing.

Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Letting the semi-finals be decided by a shootout at an insanely close distance to the massive goal? How retarded is that?

:lol:

The game has to end sometime. Plus, there is something about the pressure of penalties which the players are under that would not be replicated by just having them run for hours on end.  :razz:

They wouldn't have to run for hours on end if the game was actually competitive, hence the penalty shootouts being retarded.

Cute  :razz:
IDIVt.jpg

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Letting the semi-finals be decided by a shootout at an insanely close distance to the massive goal? How retarded is that?

The game has to end sometime. Plus, there is something about the pressure of penalties which the players are under that would not be replicated by just having them run for hours on end.  :razz:

They wouldn't have to run for hours on end if the game was actually competitive, hence the penalty shootouts being retarded.

Are you implying that 0-0 matches can't be competitive?

Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:

Remember, americans dont like draws/goalless games.

Golradir said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:

I wouldn't know, not being American.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Clearly not if they can't be trusted to end within a reasonable timeframe, barring exceptions where extended play shouldn't even be that big of a deal anyways.

:???:

In matches that are non-knockout (ie the group stages and every league ever) don't have extra time, and thus even if it's 0-0 it ends.

But as this is a knockout tournament, it has to end sometime. Penalty shootouts guarantee that it does end.

And what does trust have to do with how competitive a match is? Sure, Argentina vs Netherlands was a turgid piece of ****. But the final is 0-0, and it is far from uncompetitive. Netherlands vs Costa Rica was intensely competitive, but that went to a penalty shootout.

Teams and tactics can sometimes cancel each other out. Or maybe a keeper just had a fantastic game and didn't concede a goal. If anything, 0-0 draws are much more competitive than matches such as, say German 7-1 Brazil, which was a complete trouncing.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Golradir said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Vieira said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:

I wouldn't know, not being American.
Meh, canadian, same on this subject.

I found this years ago when talking with an American dude. They generally do seem not understand how and why a closely played 0-0 can be gripping or entertaining. Only when people score it actually counts.
It guess that's from the hand-egg and basketball mentality or something, which generally see a lot more "scoring".

I've never understood the appeal of basketball, actually. Precisely because of all the scoring. Football has a good balance, for me at least.

But yeah, scoring is not the only entertaining part of sports.

The referee was full of bull****, that guy deserves to get fired from his job, the punch of aguero was a red card, he got bleeding at the other guy, and he didn't want to end the game at the right time. What a full load of bull**** from that referee

Good play from Germany

I'm confused. He didn't end the game at the right time because Schweinsteiger had to get treatment on that tackle before the freekick.

I would hardly call it bull****. It should have been a red card for Aguero, but if he didn't see it properly, then he can't give a red card when he sees the blood on Schweinsteiger.

Why do referees still exist as they do? With all the technology and cameras that focus on each and every player, why aren't the referees more coordinated with the footage that comes off of all that?

Back
Top Bottom