Thanks, I hate crossbows now

Users who are viewing this thread

Well title basically says it all, crossbows got ****ed IMO.

Overall people wanted a nerf for crossbows as they were almost aimbots and did high amounts of damage.
Now they are just straight-up worse than bows IMO. Flick shots are basically impossible as the accuracy penalty you get for moving around is rather large which makes shooting cavalry RNG based. Then they fixed the "bug" that you can crouch during reloading which is a big nerf.

So now you cannot hide behind cover and shoot by crouching, but now when you pan around for getting out of cover you have a large accuracy penalty.
Compared to the Fian bows they only have the advantage of kick-shots now, as Fians can do flick shots, have the same range, and basically the same damage.

I think there are 4 parameters that you can tweak for crossbows;
- crouching during reloading
- flick inaccuracy
- kick shots
- aim time

Kick shots are quite satisfying for the archer but very frustrating for the inf player. Personally, I think it would be a good balance if kick shots get removed and crouching during reloading gets added. This gives a unique edge to the crossbow and removes something very frustrating for infantry players who already have to deal with plenty ****.
Or make kick shots way harder.

Also, I wouldn't mind a longer aim time but less time to reach accuracy. Maybe in combination with a lesser penalty for flicking.

Anyways that is my opinion which no one asked for.

+1
Couldn't agree more, Crossbow was my fav. weapon to use on Warband, I used it during the beta and first few month of EA and loved it... but right now, after all this nerfs... I don't use it anymore...

Imo xbows got what they deserved, but it causes more problems.
First, vlandia lost their main strength and it is now beyond garbage faction
Second, this change buffed cav as side effect
Third, xbows now have no room for improvement besides increasing their damage or rolling aim change back

They are still good for long range shooting, as they should be. You don't lose accuracy with small angle aim corrections, and you don't need to turn for 30' when you aim distant targets. As for close range horse shooting, you can always aim predictively, I never 'followed' enemies with crosshair and it is definitely possible to do it, especially against cav, cause it moves in one direction and will eventually reach your line of shooting. If it goes wwsswwsswwss, you always have enough time to change your aiming spot.

Crouching change is also good cause it was impossible to use bows against xbow on certain maps cause they were unreachable for your shots and only showed up their heads for .5 seconds to shoot.

Imo archers are too strong overall and should be nerfed, as well as cav. It's about 80% of all games when top1 and top2 scores is cav and top3 is archer. Making heavy inf 3times stronger (and still nerf cav) is an alternative.

Archers are only annoying when you don't have a shield. They don't need to be nerfed. Just grab a shield and bonk them on the head.

Archers are only annoying when you don't have a shield. They don't need to be nerfed. Just grab a shield and bonk them on the head.
Archers can shoot legs through shields, but that's not the case. They can end a teamfight with 2 precise shots. They usually oneshot light infantry, winning a fight easily. The only reason they don't get top scores is cav, which is even more op. Due to the fact that cav nerf is essential, they will perform even better both as oneshotting cannons and as cav counters.
Ofc if you nerf them right now that would be awful for balance, cause cav will dominate even more, but they are too good compared to heavy inf atm. They should either nerf cav, throwings and archers, or give huge buff to heavy inf and nerf cav as well

Inappropriate language
Serves you right for being a ranged <player>

On a serious note why can't they just make xbows play the same way they did in Warband or at the start of Bannerlord's EA, just nerf the damage output and/or buff armour
Also there's no reason to remove crouching while reloading

Last edited by a moderator:
Ofc if you nerf them right now that would be awful for balance, cause cav will dominate even more, but they are too good compared to heavy inf atm. They should either nerf cav, throwings and archers, or give huge buff to heavy inf and nerf cav as well
It's only because people love their two handers too much. About 80% of infantry players I see wield two handers, with pikes as a secondary. That makes them easy targets for projectiles, and I know just how easy it is to die to archers as a two hander. Archers are very easy to deal with if you have a shield, and the stronger shields are wide enough to cover your leg, like the Khuzait spearman's. Cavalry are a nuisance, but at least you can hear them coming.

Wait a minute... Crossbows were good? This must be a skirmish thread.
They have always been underpowered in the hands of the Ai, making them irrelevant choices in Captain Mode.

P.S. I too am not a fan of the accuracy nerfs to all ranged weapons including Crossbows, Bows, Javelins, and Throwing axes. There is too big of a penalty for movement which in my view limits gameplay and makes it feel very "gross" to use any of these weapons. 1.4.3 and prior had the best feeling ranged weapons, although some people would argue that they were too easy to use. An Olympic Javelin thrower doesn't stand still to throw his projectile, he gets a running start. In Bannerlord the accuracy penalty makes you feel like a drunk cripple who must be stationary in order to correctly line up a throw.

Last edited:
In my opinion, crossbows have always been worse than bows because of the lower fire rate and the lack of mobility when reloading. You can put more pressure on opponents during a teamfight with a bow. You are more mobile and therefore you have an increased range of firing positions, and in general if you miss a shot with a crossbow there is a greater penalty than with a bow. The only patch I would arguably say that crossbows held a marginal advantage is the patch where arbalests were 110 gold, all bows were nerfed with that strange terraced reticule aiming which was very slow, and crossbows got the buff where they had no aiming penalty as soon as they were brought up without a nerf to damage.

It's only because people love their two handers too much. About 80% of infantry players I see wield two handers, with pikes as a secondary. That makes them easy targets for projectiles, and I know just how easy it is to die to archers as a two hander. Archers are very easy to deal with if you have a shield, and the stronger shields are wide enough to cover your leg, like the Khuzait spearman's. Cavalry are a nuisance, but at least you can hear them coming.
no one plays 2h since they removed their shields, Ive only seen 2h if someone didnt have enough gold for cav or something like that. 2h is even worse than heavy inf atm cause literally everything counters them, archers, cav, pilas, jareeds and other stuff

In my opinion, crossbows have always been worse than bows because of the lower fire rate and the lack of mobility when reloading. You can put more pressure on opponents during a teamfight with a bow. You are more mobile and therefore you have an increased range of firing positions, and in general if you miss a shot with a crossbow there is a greater penalty than with a bow. The only patch I would arguably say that crossbows held a marginal advantage is the patch where arbalests were 110 gold, all bows were nerfed with that strange terraced reticule aiming which was very slow, and crossbows got the buff where they had no aiming penalty as soon as they were brought up without a nerf to damage.

You posted a serious reply instead of a funny remark. Sad!

TDM player by any chance?

Horatius, perhaps you should try playing infantry instead of sniping people in the back and complaining it's too hard to play a weapon that requires literally no skill.

+1
Couldn't agree more, Crossbow was my fav. weapon to use on Warband, I used it during the beta and first few month of EA and loved it... but right now, after all this nerfs... I don't use it anymore...
Good, now you can learn to melee instead of using a weapon that requires no skill whatsoever.

Horatius, perhaps you should try playing infantry instead of sniping people in the back and complaining it's too hard to play a weapon that requires literally no skill.
That you cannot find the hole in your fleshlight even if you tried isn't my problem, stop projecting your problems onto other people. Also, who are you again?

Crossbows had and should have more advantages than that.
- You could crouch while reloading which is huge as you have way more cover opportunities.
- Faster aim time
- You can hold for longer meaning you can put more pressure

Good, now you can learn to melee instead of using a weapon that requires no skill whatsoever.
Aiming is a skill. A pretty difficult one depending on what you're targeting. Same with cav, which you seem to also have a beef against. I don't get what your problem is. The game provides us with lots of options to deal with various situations. People are spamming archers? Grab a shield. People spamming cav? Grab a spear.

People need to learn to adapt to different situations instead of just asking for nerfs. If you want to win that badly, just adapt. If you just want to have fun with swords, then have fun. You might get shot a few times but that's the risk. There's even duel servers for melee enthusiasts.

Back
Top Bottom