SP Fantasy Thalania (RELEASED for .960) (Updated 22/08, see bottom)

Users who are viewing this thread

This is freaking WinRar ****!!! Why can't just every mod be a program!?
Rubbish!!!!!! :evil:

But the game looks good! :smile: No horses  :grin:

Modify'd writing:
Can you please tell me why every single mod is WinRar??? That is just bull****

NordMann 2 said:
This is freaking WinRar ****!!! Why can't just every mod be a program!?
Rubbish!!!!!! :evil:

But the game looks good! :smile: No horses  :grin:

Modify'd writing:
Can you please tell me why every single mod is WinRar??? That is just bull****

So that idiots who say 'bull****' can't play them.

NordMann, WinRAR is free to download, and takes up a minimal amount of disk space.  If I were you, I would get it, so that you can use most of the mods for .89x+ M&B.

Herewulf said:
Although occasionally it's fun to chop horses' legs out from under them..

Only reason I ever play as Nords, taking my force of 50 Nord axemen and slice up the Khergit Lancers' pretty little horses.

I'm really confused on why people have trouble with it too.

The other day, I was helping someone over the net download something and they said it was a .rar file(And claimed to have been on the net for years, and never heard of it...)

So I tell them to download it, install, and extract the .rar, I say it's like .zip(Which they know nothing of again it seems)

People say "I'd rather just download the files direct" or something, even though WinRar not only makes the file smaller, sometimes even by half, it has all the files neatly assembled into one little place(YOu can't upload Folders!(And not everyone can make an installer program)

WinRar's extraction time, on any decently modern PC is not that long. Files under 100MB, which most mods on here are, take about...5 seconds or less to extract sometimes...and for people with Dialup, half the size of the file to download is pretty nice.

I've been using WinRAR since I started modding Jedi Outcast, way back in 2003/4.  It's possibly the most useful compression tool on the internet, and it's free.

I really like how you made it so the game is faster because my computer sucks so all of the quality is to the lowest possible.

Well done on the mod. I've only been playing it a little since you released it, but I am enjoying it :smile:
Horses do still seem to crop up in the arena matches by the way, but I'm sure you've noticed that.
Gonna play it a bit more and then have a rant about it soon. Cheers!

Yes, I noticed the arena horses, which I'm still trying to work out how to get rid of - I need to find the script that adds them to the player and NPC.

Any other bug reports would be good, and any suggestions even better.

Been playing Thalania for an hour or so and I just noticed a few things.

The only 2 factions that actually engaged in war were Saland + Nordaland, leaving the other factions more or less static.
The companion characters still spoke of the native factions in their blurb. Kergit, Swadia etc.
I only tried taking 1 castle during the time I was playing (the Kurghiman one on the mountain side) but I found I could only build a siege tower and couldn't use it. Maybe I did something wrong? But I cannot take the keep without ladders or a small amount of dynamite.
There don't appear to be any bridges on the map, despite river crossings that look like there should be bridges across them.

On an aesthetic point, and just my opinion, I found the Nordaland blue used for their names hard to read against the terrain. Might be because I'm using a darker terrain graphics pack.
I also thought the Saland (dark red) and Kurghiman (brown) colours were too similar. But like I said, that's just my opinion and it could just be my colours settings.

I've been enjoying it though. Some real nice work been put into it.

Thanks for the feedback, Jako.  I'm currently in the process of changing all of the heroes, and possibly adding some new ones into the game, but you appear to be the only person who's picked up on the fact that they're still, essentially, Calradian.

In every game I've started bar one, there's been all out war from the beginning, and it took the Devonians only three days to declare war on Saland in the other - I haven't changed any of the inter-faction diplomacy, so it is exactly like native.  If you'd like a game with alot of war at the start, I would check the quests/factions page after starting a new character, and if there are too few factions fighting, start again an re-roll (that's usually what I do for Native, though I haven't had to do it for Thalania).

I haven't got a clue why taking a castle wouldn't work, but I'll check it out this evening.  I've managed to take a few castles in my games, though I've never tried against towns.  And dynamite is an interesting idea..  Maybe for a future release?

Bridges are an absolute **** to put into the game via Thorgrim's map maker, as far as I can remember, so I've left them out - we're back to using fords and such, unless there's an absolute need for bridges.

I'm already going to lighten the Nordaland colours (I'm using a couple of graphics packs, too, and it came out quite dark when using both Zaro's Graphics Enhancement and Colourful Textures at the same time).  I thought that Saland and Kurghiman looked quite different, but I'll increase the red hue of Saland for the next version (i.e. make it brighter).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Herewulf, the code for giving NPCs and the player horses in the arena is handled in the mission_templates.py.

Just find itm_practice_horse and remove all of them.

Example:

(2,mtef_visitor_source|mtef_team_0,af_override_all,aif_start_alarmed,1,[itm_heavy_practice_sword,itm_practice_horse,itm_arena_tunic_red, itm_red_tourney_helmet]),

Change it to:

(2,mtef_visitor_source|mtef_team_0,af_override_all,aif_start_alarmed,1,[itm_heavy_practice_sword,itm_arena_tunic_red, itm_red_tourney_helmet]),

itm_practice_horse is used only in the tournament missions. You don't need to worry about breaking horsecombat training. Training use itm_tutorial_saddle_horse instead.

That sounds great Herewulf. I'll give keep taking another bash when I get home. Do you think it'd be possible to put in some sort of visual aid to show where the river crossings are? Maybe a few strategically placed trees for the time being to let us know.

Thanks for the help, Cloud Breaker - I'll fix that when I get home.

Trees are a possibility, Jako.  I was going to find out how to do roads, personally, and have them leading to all of the fords, but trees would be easier, and I could use them as placeholders.

Back
Top Bottom