SP Fantasy Thalania (RELEASED for .960) (Updated 22/08, see bottom)

Users who are viewing this thread

Herewulf

Veteran
Thalania
A modification for Mount&Blade .960

Released.  Get the 0.3 version at this URL:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=852

map-1-1.jpg
A map of Thalania, made circa 1389​

The original Thalanians are few and far between.  They are spread out from the Western Lands, across the Mountain Countries, and out beyong the Seas to the East of the continent.

They were first discovered by migrating Kresklingr, led by Chief Sigurd Braineater.  The Kresklingr, having stumbled upon soft, fertile grasslands, after months of marching through the snowy mountains to the North, were delighted to find the Thalanians to be insufficiently armed, and too naïve to even have a word for "war" in their native language.  Those Thalanians that couldn't flee were cut down by the Kresklingr Svaerdsmen - those that could, were shot down by the fabled Bowmasters of the Northern realms, whose arrows could find a heart to pierce over two hundred feet away.

For centuries, the Kresklingr called Thalania two things - "Nordaland", in honour of the countries in the North, and also "home", for the land was vast, and very hospitable.  All of Sigurd Braineater's people could live there freely, without having any difficulty in finding new land for themselves.  There was little in-fighting, though the Kresklingr still maintained a professional army, fully trained lest they be invaded by foreigners, as they had done the Thalanians themselves.

Towards the end of the 13th century, a number of ships sailed into the Frike, the main river which cuts Thalania into two pieces.  These ships were manned by the Salandians, men from the Ruined Empire of the East.  Trade was established between these forerunners and the people of Nordaland, and for decades, relationships were stable.  More and more Salandians came from the East, and soon they had colonised much of the marshland that had been overlooked by the Kresklingr, who preferred the rainy grasslands of the North to the dry steppes of the South.

In 1382, the death of King Willen of Saland caused a rift between even the closest of families.  Many wanted Beltan, the eldest son of Willen, to become King, though there were at least as many in the South West who preferred Scalla, the younger brother of Beltan.  In a few short years, the once peaceful nation devolved into civil war, and the Country of Tyrin was formed in the South West, ruled by Scalla, now called "Archduke".

Attacks against Nordaland by Tyrin caused a general distrust among Kresklingr of Salandians in their entirety.  While relationships between Harald of Nordaland and Beltan of Saland remained friendly, the people began to fight openly, starting with small scuffles, which quickly became skirmishes between the armies of both countries.  Peace between Saland, Tyrin and Nordaland is never certain, and at any one time open war may begin or end.

Five years after these events, the Kurghs came from the forests to the South, attacking both Tyrin and Saland.  The Steppes are now completely controlled by Kurghiman, with Taramul leading the invasion.  At almost the same time, Devonians, from lands across the Eastern Seas, came through the same pass through which the original Salandians came, hotly pursued by Pirates and Raiders.  Having fought off many of their foes, including the Kresklingr and Salandians who have attacked them since their arrival, they have now built a firm base in the East of Thalania.

It is now 1392.  In one hundred years, the whole of Thalania has been conquered, excluding Norfest, which is rumoured to be haunted by the ghosts of the Thalanians slaughtered by the Kresklingr, almost eight hundred years before.

You, an adventurer, with only your past and a few possessions to guide you, have arrived in this war-wracked land.  What you will make of yourself is down to your strength, your intelligence, and your skill with sword and shield.  In Thalania, you don't mince words - you mince flesh, in order to get your point across.

Features:

New map;

New factions, with individual strengths and weaknesses;

New troops, tailor-made to increase diversity;

New items: 24 new weapons, including 21 swords and 3 axes (courtesy of stoned-dude and octoburn);

Leadership now gives 10 extra troops per skill level, and every 10 points of renown gets 1 troop more;

Archery and ranged weapons in general are far more dangerous than in native - an arrow to the head will most likely kill you, regardless of the strength of your helmet.  Archers are more accurate, thus shields are a necessity (and most troops are equipped with them);

And, most important of all, no horses.  Similar to Markus II's "Lords of War" and Sketch's "Might & Blade", Thalania is a horse-free mod.  One cannot buy horses, one does not start with a horse, the riding and horse archery skills are not used at all, either by NPCs or, if you're smart, yourself.  Battlefields have been resized to make skirmishes and even large-scale battles faster, so you don't have to get your men to march for minutes before the fight actually starts.

Version 0.5 changes:

Arena fix - no more horses, no more lances;

Colours changed - Saland and Nordaland now have lighter faction colours;

Custom Heroes - each hero has been edited (or remade from scratch) to fit in with the Thalania backstory, more of which is revealed in the game now.

Release date: Sunday 24th August

Most impressive. I like the backstory a lot and can see this mod being one of the best with sopme more development. I look forward to playing. :smile:

At the moment, everything except for a couple of weapons, some shields (possibly), and a few troops is in.  I'm going to tweak the archery a bit more (I just tried the mod using the easiest settings, and it was still pretty hard to beat a small bunch of archers with an equally sized group of infantrymen), but, for the most part, I've just got to wait for permission to use the weapons that I've used in the game.

I've scrapped the shields, they didn't really fit in well with everything else I'm doing.  I've now put in 24 new weapons, all tweaked to seem as realistic as possible, and, as far as I can tell, all working.

The map's pretty much done, I might move some towns here or there.

I've also decreased Battlefield size significantly - all battlefields are half as big as they were.  I'm going to increase it a bit, because in battles of 200+, some troops spawn outside of the borders (although it's easy to get them with the archers, now).

Apart from that, I'm all set for a release.

Ah, and I'll upload a screenshot or two in a second.

Edit: here's one of Devonians fighting two parties of Kurghs (you can kind of see how small the battlefields actually are, now, seeing as how I'm taking this from the very edge of the map)

Dev_v_Kur.jpg

Looks cool. Hope you can keep the deadline :grin:

BTW: can you make a combat AI that everyone just doesnt go into a group and hacking away at eachother but that they spread out a little. Or change the spawns that your troops spawn in a long row.

I think it's funny that the first game to get in realistic Horse Warfare, let alone one of the few games to even have such an option, has mods "Removing them" lol. I'm not bashing you or anything, I know they make it EZ mode, and I plan to try yer mod too, I'm just thinking it's funny.

Not to mention, one of the main selling points of the game is "Mounted Warfare" which is rare in any FPS.

Many a time and oft have I rode through an army of Nords, chopping and slicing here and there, right, left and centre - it loses its appeal pretty quickly when you realise you've apparently attained the skill level of a God.

Playing as infantry is hard, especially on high difficulty settings, and with about 200 troops on the field.  It's also more enjoyable than riding into people.

Although occasionally it's fun to chop horses' legs out from under them..

Release date pushed back for a week - I have received permission from neither party, and thus I can't release the mod.

Sorry.

I really like the sound of this mod, I'm looking forward to it's release.
I also love the lack of horses, however have you ever considered implementing some sort of sprint capability? Short bursts of endurance sapping speed.
No horses is great, but I think the constant and unchanging speed (on flat ground) of running is a little odd and somewhat annoying. I think something like sprinting would bring a great new aspect to the gameplay. Although I'm sure something like sprinting would be an ass to implement for the AI, if not just for the player.

Great work though. Let's just hope you get those permissions. Keep us posted :smile:

Perhaps you could add in Mirathei's formations? It would make infantry battles more interesting than "Glob up and charge!" or "sit here and wait!"

Personally I think every mod needs Mirathei's formations and Chel's morale :smile:

Eventually, I will add those in, but I need to find a computer that doesn't have Vista before I can do it - copying and pasting from the code tags really messes up the format of text etc.

Shameless bump.

It's been well over a week since I sent both octoburn and stoned-dude PMs, and I've had no response.  The mod can now be downloaded from the Repository - comments and criticism appreciated.

https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=852

Back
Top Bottom