Taleworlds Could Use An Action Plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Since Bannerlord dropped into early access the initial player base has seen some serious degradation which is normal to a certain extent specially for EA. For those interested in the numbers it went from 175k peak players daily to about 25k and 3-4 top played game on steam to 27th at the time of this post. Anybody who has played for any amount of time will have discovered the broken perks, lack of good loot, impotent leveling system, and crazy economy. Once you realize this it makes it difficult to want to continue to play and explore the game. As players we always don't see the problems that are under the hood and the major code issues that there are no simple remedies to, but to continue to keep a healthy player base these areas seriously need to be addressed sooner rather then later.

1. Perks - Implementation of perks has been painfully slow and it would be nice to see a little more focus and expediency in this area. This is probably one of the biggest issues why players stop playing from looking at the different threads.

2. Leveling System - The attribute system is trash and was far better in Warband, this really isn't a good system and needs to be retooled. If you are out of ideas on this I would look at the following improvements:

Attributes should do crap - Attribute points should have more of an impact for example vigor should improve weapon damage and hit points, endurance speed and stamina, intelligence overall learning speed, control should improve accuracy. Now these don't have to be large improvements but having them just improve your learning speed and cap is not good. If a player makes a 7' foot giant with 10 vigor he isn't any tougher or stronger then a 5' foot midget with 1 vigor and that is what makes the attribute system stupid.

Attribute points - We need more of these, 1 every 4 levels is not cutting it especially if they actually start to do something worth while.

NPC attributes - I have only seen skill points for NPCs, if attributes do get fixed they will need these.

3. Economy - While there are some excellent ideas in the game there are some crazy valuation and the balance just is not there. Also trade goods should be more distinct for each culture of the map for example there should be spices in the South which there are none. The price of some of the gear is ridiculous and just does not add up, when you have a peace of armor that cost 600k that many of your elites where what this does it make your troops look badass and the player and his companions look like a bunch of vagabonds.

4. Loot and Stores - Loot is a joke and the good stuff that elite troops and lords wear don't show up as loot or options to buy in stores. If by some miracle they do show up they are so overpriced that they will never get bought. I played as and Aserai character who reached clan tier 5 but yet none of the elite Mameluke or Faris Vanguard helmets or armor showed up in the stores. Also full horse armor is rarely ever seen in the stores as well.

5. Diplomacy - I know this is something being worked on, but factions should not declare war with another faction if they are already at war. This just make the game feel like a brainless Ai ruler is running the show.

6. Infantry Combat - Infantry combat especially collision is broken, horses can ride through formations like nothing, and when melee troops fight it looks silly when they speed up like Benny Hen and look like a mosh pit in fast forward. Well trained infantry formations should require tactics to break and not just horse archers.

7. Combat Balance - Accuracy for horse archers should be reduce a bit, currently I can take a full army of horse archers and just hit F1 F3 and go have dinner and come back to a landslide victory with only a few casualties. The cheese is thick!

I don't claim to right and maybe my opinion is wrong, but what I do know is I care about TW and them being successfully post EA.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points. One of the absolute easiest to fix should be #7: there is no way horse archers should be this brutally strong. If you stop them riding around and simply use them as a static archer line, they become deadly accurate, wasting far less of their (typically 2-quiver) ammunition. The moment they're at risk, ride them away to another safe spot and keep shooting - nothing compares.

Easy fix? I'd nerf handily the damage of all bows usable from horseback. This would preserve the distinct capabilities of horse archers vs foot archers. Reducing horse archer bow skill is an idea too, but I'm not sure how much weapon skill actually matters, compared to the tier of gear being used (Kegeyn had an excellent thread on infantry battles that drove home the message that gear loadouts mattered more than marginal skill differentials - https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...esults-berserk-and-hired-blade-update.422034/).

Last edited:
Lots of good points, and I don't think anyone would complain about TW releasing a "roadmap" of what they plan on doing over the coming months. I put quite a few hours (like 70+) into the game; I feel like it has a lot of potential and don't feel ripped off, but as you say there are a number of shortcomings that make me want to leave it alone until it's noticeably improved. Probably the #1 issue for me is that I'm just tired of fighting armies that are more than half recruits (and sometimes 75+%). That is not challenging or fun, and it seems like most of the armies out there are like that after the early game, when you can't fight top tier armies anyhow.

The updates also seem to have slowed down a lot; I haven't played in a month and only one update has rolled out.

I totally agree, they need to revamp multiplayer as well. At the start of launch for NA skirmish there were 400+ people queing, now its tops 30. The multiplayer is completely ping dependent when you get into melee since, in the case of the US, the servers are all located in the east it makes it much harder to react to incoming attacks. Also, why dont we have Battle? This should have been given on release, hell even conquest which is skirmish but on a larger scale. These are elementary parts of the M&B multiplayer experience which should have been included a long time ago, and instead of seeing this on the upcoming features I see clantools and ranked matchmaking. Well coming from one of the larger clan groups I can tell you that we would much rather see Battle and/ or conquest than cLaNtOoLs and RaNkEd MaTcHmAkInG.

100% agree with all points, issues form 1 to 5 is the reason, why I stopped playing for now.

I feel like a lot of the early game is pretty fun aside from the lack of unique quests, items, dialogues, scenes, sounds (fairly big issues), The problems really start in the late game and after multiple play throughs. For me these are.

1. The broken economy as towns become too prosperous. There is a missing link in the economy which needs added. This could involve squalor, corruption, disease or recessions caused by war (as a result of lost trade, manpower, tax rises to fund wars?)

2. The lack of meaningful town management and anything unique about one town or the other. Each town should have a unique building chain which gives a unique bonus, unique NPC's and quests related to owning the town, more levels of complexity to the management of the town (buildings and relationships that take time and effort to build up and give better bonuses, problems that occur, people with requests/ demands, crime)

3. The repetitve nature of sieges and battles due to a lack of tactical diversity (which should be based on NPC culture and tactics skill). Formations need to be more effective and perhaps you could introduce things like stakes and hidden pits for defending armies as this was pretty common in the medieval period, then buff shield wall so that its actually possible to hold the line with infantry without just getting killed by archers. Perhaps you could create some combined archer infantry formations designed to protect the archers from missile fire. With sieges there was a thread recently about this so i wont repeat it. But the jist of it is that you would have to do more than just take the wall and gate to take a town by making the whole town and eventually the inner keep part of the battle, again with tactics slightly different and dependent on the scene/ culture/ situation.

4. Final point is diplomacy, its been covered a lot and il not repeat it again. but currently the grind of having to take every town in calradia to 'win' is really tedious and always seems to just lead to destroying each weak faction first before you deal with the strong one. And it also just starts to feel pointless at about the half way point. We need something more exiting/ variable than this.

Not sure if you guys saw but they have released a loose Road Map, stickied in Single Player forums

That being said I pretty much agree with every point made.

Having to pay tons of money for armor and how hard is to find high tier equipment is a nonsense. I really do not understand the reason behind this decision.

Having to pay tons of money for armor and how hard is to find high tier equipment is a nonsense. I really do not understand the reason behind this decision.
That's pretty simple to explain. TW felt that players were accumulating too much money at end game so they made top tier stuff outraegously expensive so they wouldn't be playing Scrooge McDuck. Personally I feel like it wasn't that big of an issue especially in EA and even so there are better ways to deal with it.

That is what the master crafted stuff in warband was for, standard armor shouldn't be these prices. I honestly think a bunch of the gear simply is not flagged to show up in stores period like the Mameluke and Faris helmets which I have never seen in shops at all even at clan tier 5.

That's pretty simple to explain. TW felt that players were accumulating too much money at end game so they made top tier stuff outraegously expensive so they wouldn't be playing Scrooge McDuck. Personally I feel like it wasn't that big of an issue especially in EA and even so there are better ways to deal with it.

Yes, and this is the main reason because I have been asking for nerfs the players' income. I prefer cheaper and easy to get armors and less income for the player than getting tons of money from everywhere and have to look like a beggar while the units that I pay wages are able to wear the best possible armor. This make the game less immersive and bring economy issues like some lords and the player getting an insane amount of money when selling loot.

my goodness, nerfs to player income ... dont play with cheats or exploits - you wont so dont limit others. Unless you want to force people to not play the game at all, so only elitist you remain and boast, the game is made for you.

Back
Top Bottom