Sui Generis

Users who are viewing this thread

Bought my first bit of gear, some leather gloves, and they were nowhere to be found in the management section- when I opened it up an error message briefly appeared, but it had done this many other times when I hadn't bought anything too. Am I missing something? They weren't in the armoury bit on the right hand side where they are supposed to appear after buying.

DanAngleland said:
Bought my first bit of gear, some leather gloves, and they were nowhere to be found in the management section- when I opened it up an error message briefly appeared, but it had done this many other times when I hadn't bought anything too. Am I missing something? They weren't in the armoury bit on the right hand side where they are supposed to appear after buying.

It's a bug. Lost many items to this and sometimes I get breastplates and other stuff I didn't buy in my inventory.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu said:
I really like this game so far, but I still can't get past how stupid the combat is. Swinging left and right without much change. It looks so dumb.

If only it had VR and PlayStation Move support. :lol:

The combat system is far from stupid or simple. Even without thrusting it's very complex.

For anyone beginning - iron bar is the best starting weapon.

Mr.Milker said:
Age of Empires II: The Densetsu said:
I really like this game so, but I still can't get past how stupid the combat is. Swinging left and right without much change. It looks so dumb.

If only it had VR and PlayStation Move support. :lol:

The combat system is far from stupid or simple. Even without thrusting it's very complex.

For anyone beginning - iron bar is the best starting weapon.

I never it wasn't complex. I watched someone play this for an hour, most of the time the duels involved swinging the weapons left and right over and over again without much variation. It's extremely nuanced and physics based, of course.

I assume the reason for the fighting to take place on an apparent flat plain would be the camera angle. Top down. Perhaps we will see more variation in the swings when they develop it further.

Like what? You can already attack from above and they're working on implementing thrusting. (iirc they want to eventually do some kind of bashing, or grabbing too)
The three directions of attack, combined with mouse-guided aim, stepping and ducking give you a wide range of possible moves.

As for slopes or non-flat terrain, I assume it'd be another place for the physics to go wonky. But iirc the prototype videos showed hills and stuff, so it might come back.

(true about the camera, it's already a bit tricky to judge depth/height at times)

Edit: yeah, that's what I mean. Because it's at a view like isometric games, controlling swing height and angle with mouse movement to anything that isn't horizontal would be difficult. I think hills could work, we will have to see.

Yes, I'm sure it will be a joy to play.

However, the actual look of the fighting is rather silly. As much nuance as there is, most of the time people swing left to right and then right to left at a horizontal angle. Variations of horizontal attacks.

It's extremely fun, but it looks ridiculous. I think Warband combat looks silly, but it's also one of the best combat systems I have seen in a game. Especially multiplayer. This game just has the disadvantage of everyone looking a bit more mentally retarded when they fight.

You can do vertical attacks though. And you can do diagonals, it's based on current body position and mouse aiming. (the side attacks don't always go horizontally)

I haven't figured out an exact formula on "this makes the swing more horizontal" vs. "this makes it more vertical", but I'm sure someone has drawn like a diagram or something.
Crouching works in an analog way, so ducking just a bit swings the hips and arms in a different way, influencing the angle of the strike.
I sometimes catch myself doing the same swings over and over, simply because I do the same movements with the mouse. It helps a lot to change it up once in a while.

They are a little tricky, but I think the AI used one successfully against me, which was nice. Just had a short half hour play of it tonight after reading about the thrust.

[Alt]

I rebinded it to [e] though, made it easier to pull off stabs reliably while incorporating footwork.

Also, does anyone else feel like the footwork is greatly improved? I feel like it looks more realistic at the very least, and I think it feels more sharp and purposeful as well.

Back
Top Bottom