Suggestion - GIFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

havoc

Marquis
Good evening brothers and sisters.

So, GIFs, they're great, quite great in fact.. But you know what would make them better? If they started paused. Yes, that is my suggestion.

I personally feel that GIFs should be paused until clicked, perhaps while paused they could even be overlaid with a play button? I dunno, all I know is that it's quite annoying going into a thread and being attacked by GIFs. As well as that, if they played on command I wouldn't have to wait for them to start again to watch it the full way through, as I often do have to.

I'm pretty sure it should be possible, but not 100%.

Good idea, bad idea, beetroot?

Half the fun of GIFS is the misery they inflict on other people. That said, I dsilike misery aimed at me...

18esb.gif

Someone had to do that  :grin:

Docm30 said:
Can we just ban GIFs all together? never in the history of time have they been used for good. They're exclusively used to annoy people.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,243074.msg5817859.html#msg5817859

Looky here.

I agree with Havoc even with his irony.

So how would you determine which GIF images are animated? People can post non-animated GIFs as well which without a way to tell them apart would also have the play button on them.
The javascript which Alene linked to is intended for use by someone specifically tagging a GIF image to start paused and have the play button on it.

I also am pretty sure that browsers will still have to load the entire image even if you never play it. The only workaround would be to create a non-animated thumbnail of the GIF and swap it out when the person chooses to play it.

So... not really feasible or worthwhile as far as I'm concerned.

Oh sorry Janus, you're right. I didn't think about non-animated GIF images. Hrm, perhaps I should've thought it through more.

Back
Top Bottom