STUN DAMAGE (recoverable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Been watching lots of gamescom 2018 vids and it got me thinking.

Instead of falling from 10 feet (even in civy clothing encumberance) and taking 20 perma damage, how about stun damage that recovers over time..? Maybe over 1 or 2 minutes. Perhaps the player is debuffed for speed in that time (ie legs hurting!!!) I think its ridiculous that a 10 foot fall can be so damaging. I also think this could be a great mechanic, take my next point;

It can apply to horses as well. I see them charging for a full 3 damage.... how about they charge for 10 stun, if the sprite is then damaged with a weapon within a portion of the recovery time, stun is converted to actual damage. This would make for a cavalry charge POTENTIALLY very damaging if followed up by infantry.

Of course, TW can make it work better with some thoughtful planning. This is just an idea!

Edit: on the horse front. Maybe a large fall knocks you off the mount, and again, mount can be debuffed for speed, agility etc for a period of time

kreamy said:
Instead of falling from 10 feet (even in civy clothing encumberance) and taking 20 perma damage, how about stun damage that recovers over time..? Maybe over 1 or 2 minutes. Perhaps the player is debuffed for speed in that time (ie legs hurting!!!) I think its ridiculous that a 10 foot fall can be so damaging.

I really really like the idea of recoverable stun, while I like less that if I take damage while recovering from the stun, the stun becomes damage. Mmmh I'd prefer to treat them like completely separated maluses, the only thing they should have in common is that both contribute to put you KO. (so for total 50HP, 40DAMAGE + 15STUN is ko)

As always I guess adding a variable for everyone on the battlefield would affect the performances, so maybe this could apply just to the player, but in an ideal world it's interesting!

Fabiano Caputo said:
kreamy said:
Instead of falling from 10 feet (even in civy clothing encumberance) and taking 20 perma damage, how about stun damage that recovers over time..? Maybe over 1 or 2 minutes. Perhaps the player is debuffed for speed in that time (ie legs hurting!!!) I think its ridiculous that a 10 foot fall can be so damaging.

I really really like the idea of recoverable stun, while I like less that if I take damage while recovering from the stun, the stun becomes damage. Mmmh I'd prefer to treat them like completely separated maluses, the only thing they should have in common is that both contribute to put you KO. (so for total 50HP, 40DAMAGE + 15STUN is ko)

As always I guess adding a variable for everyone on the battlefield would affect the performances, so maybe this could apply just to the player, but in an ideal world it's interesting!

I totally agree, especially withdamage conversion to an extent. this idea needs some thought for sure, but should be interesting.

I wouldn't mind some sort of healing in battle.

Hell, if there were Surgeon units that would hang back with the archers (or in their own group), you can set it so that soldiers that have reached 5 Health or 10% Health would retreat to get healed. You could do the same. Would be great for long battles that you want to fight in its entirety.

kreamy said:
I think its ridiculous that a 10 foot fall can be so damaging
Have you tried falling 10 feet before? Good chance of being injured, which could realistically put you out of a battle or make you much less effective until you recover (which would be more than 1 or 2 minutes). Now add gear like weapons and armor and gravity will be treating you even less kindly. I like the stun idea for horses though.

If you don't land properly a 10 foot fall could break your ankle.

In most games there's just a single health bar which doesn't affect you between 100% and 1% health, but then suddenly you take a tiny amount of damage and die instantly. It's not the best system and full of weird contradictions, for example I'm pretty sure you'd have to be in completely terrible shape (internal organs missing, spine in pieces, brain liquified) for a single kick to kill you through plate armour, but it happens in warband.

I'd prefer if there was a completely separate second layer of damage which couldn't kill you, but it'd debuff you, perhaps only temporarily. So if you get kicked 1000 times, you don't die, but you stagger a bit in the animation. Same if you fall 30 feet onto cobblestone, or if 50 horses trample you, or if you get smashed in the legs with a hammer.

Kentucky James said:

In most games there's just a single health bar which doesn't affect you between 100% and 1% health, but then suddenly you take a tiny amount of damage and die instantly. It's not the best system and full of weird contradictions, for example I'm pretty sure you'd have to be in completely terrible shape (internal organs missing, spine in pieces, brain liquified) for a single kick to kill you through plate armour, but it happens in warband.

I'd prefer if there was a completely separate second layer of damage which couldn't kill you, but it'd debuff you, perhaps only temporarily. So if you get kicked 1000 times, you don't die, but you stagger a bit in the animation. Same if you fall 30 feet onto cobblestone, or if 50 horses trample you, or if you get smashed in the legs with a hammer.

+1 except for the horses. Horses are pretty heavy.
Horses can kill people easily.
Didn't the mongols use horse trampling as a form of execution?

Kentucky James said:

+1. Really irks me dying or being knocked from a kick when low hp.

Anyways, i agree you can hurt urself from falling awkwardly. I wstched a video however where the player in town scene (no armor) jumped 10ft from a dock to sand, and lost 10hp. That shouldnt carry out of scene.

When you get bashed in tourney or arena, you leave the scene 100% or whatever you started with..

Back
Top Bottom