Star Wars: Battlefront II EA

Users who are viewing this thread

This game looks like ****ing ****ttttttttttttttttt its actually disgusting. Battlefront I and II were my childhood. These games ****ing blow.

DYSTOPIAN said:
This game looks like ****ing ****ttttttttttttttttt its actually disgusting. Battlefront I and II were my childhood. These games ****ing blow.
and what the exact thing you mean with this? You are saying latest development of Frostbyte Engine is bad? For real?

Um yes the gameplay of Star Wars Battlefront EA is atrocious you''re **** blind and have zero taste in first person(?) shooters if you think otherwise, seriously. There's a difference between a good engine and a good game, sometimes an extreme difference. For real.

God. Now that I think of it, the old games did have a ****ty FPS feature.

Jonah Amare Horridus de Theodosiopolis Incliti et Pax Turcia said:
DYSTOPIAN said:
and what the exact thing you mean with this? You are saying latest development of Frostbyte Engine is bad? For real?
I think he meant the gameplay looked awful, not the graphics.

Arvenski said:
I think he meant the gameplay looked awful, not the graphics.
He said that himself too.
DYSTOPIAN said:
the gameplay of Star Wars Battlefront EA
I wouldn't argue that. Well, I am not a stargazing fan of Star Wars but I am down to this ****. Ironically I have no pc for this nor I'd buy it even I had a better pc. I didn't even played first game once(SWBF-EA). But graphics and sounds are dope. That's all I know. I am the cant-play-so-watch-it-on-youtube guy. :razz:

Actually I was still playing old Battlefront 2 this time of last year with Tunngle. Yeah, there were at least 200-300 people online everyday.

I had a go at this. Here's my TL;DR: If I had more free time, and intended to buy a game in the recent future, I'd probably get this. Maybe. But the more I think about it, the less convinced I am that that's a good idea.

First things first, it looks good and runs a lot better than BF1, which is a damn shame, as I'd rather play BF1. (Better performance most likely due to the lesser amount of players and smaller everything, so that'd be my guess.)

Core gameplay is enjoyable. I like that the classes are back. What I don't like, however, is the "killstreaks make you stronger" thing that this game has going on. Oh, some ****ing ******* got lucky, went on a streak, then bought an OP Jet Trooper or Boba Fett or Darth Maul and proceeded to serially rape my entire team in one of the several little chokepoints that the final stages of this map revolve around. How fun... NOPE!
- This didn't happen in only one of the five(?) matches I played in total.
- In one of them, I managed to be the lucky ******* who bought a Jet Trooper early on. I never died, and just ran around, avoiding Darth Maul and murdering enemy players with my ridiculously good marskman's match-grade pistol, and going on something like a 17 killstreak before we won. (The end-game round displayed someone else instead, with their stunning "LONGEST KILLSTREAK: 6" achievement... :facepalm:)

Don't like this. It's completely unfair, and the fact that heroes apparently don't have a limited lifespan is just going to exacerbate the problem. Sure, it's pretty fun to run around and spam Infiltration whilst being the recon kit, and actually playing CQC sniper properly whilst still being well-equipped, but I don't think the bitterness of getting ****ing decimated can be cleansed away by getting the unfair advantage some of the time.
Did I mention that snipers start the game with a gadget that can see ALL enemies through walls? Yep. Yep...
After the open initial bit, everything more or less becomes a grenade-spam cluster****. I want another map.

The CQC mode was kinda neat, because I jumped in and got a quad kill right off the bat. Don't think it's anything special though.

STARFIGhtEr ASSAULT or whatever it was called: controls feel off, and binding (and using) movement to keyboard keys ends up messing with your aim (because turning is inexplicably directly linked to your crosshair). Also, my own fighter model (TIE interceptors in particular) are too damn big, and/or the camera is too close to the back end of it. So many crashes inside buildings (and they apparently don't take damage, either)... I do believe I got the hang of it round the end of the last match, where I killed 9 players in a row. It's not bad, but I've honestly never been that big a fan of 6DoF games ("hurray, let's spin around in circles for two minutes whilst trying to outmaneuver each other, in our more or less exactly identical vehicles, and nobody wants to disengage, because that would surely give an advantage to the opponent, so let's just keep spinning and wonder what we're doing with our lives"), so maybe it's just me.

I'm interested to play a canon Star Wars(TM) FPS campaign, but I don't see myself buying Star Wars(TM): Battlefront(TM) II EA(R). Honestly, it seems like every single instance of "Star Wars" has the sodding trademark at the end of it. How much did EA have to bend over in order to get that "exclusive" contract? Who knows? Who cares?

Let's talk about Star Cards(TM) and microtransactions. There are three currencies in the game (that it never explains). Credits are earned through playing, and are - right now - used to buy random loot boxes. The third currency is used to unlock items and/or weapon mods (and maybe emotes and poses and ****, though I didn't care enough to check that), and the second currency managed to stay at 0 for the entire duration of my play, and I didn't find a use for it, either. I don't know what they're called, I don't know what the full extent of their uses is.
I've had the RNG boxes drop star cards, weapons, emotes and poses. I don't know if boxes drop weapon mods.

Star cards are worrying me. They have "ranks" (rarities, I believe), you can upgrade them (not exactly sure how, though I think getting a dupe card may upgrade your existing one, but probably not), and higher-tier ones do legitimately provide better statistical bonuses. 20% faster ability recharging, how about that? Heroes/special classes/vehicles/hero vehicles also have star cards. Boba Fett has one that makes him take 50% less damage whilst using Rocket Barrage whilst using his jetpack. That's at the lowest rank of the card; at the highest, he takes 100% less damage. Sure, it sounds like a relatively niche condition, but isn't that a rather dramatic difference in (a rather dramatic) benefit across these star card ranks?!
Anyhow, this system reeks of imbalance and unfairness towards newer players. At one point, our spawn point (one of our spawn points) got locked down by a single enemy sniper, whose head was peeking from behind a bush. He had the second sniper rifle and two sniper rifle mods (one of them apparently giving him a 3-round burst fire mode instead of a single-shot mode; the default sniper can't accommodate mods), and two of our squads got wasted on him, because we literally could do nothing to stop him. Bad balance, bad level design, I don't know, but that was some bull****.

As I said (before I got sidetracked by trademarks), I'm interested to see what the singleplayer will have to offer, but I don't see myself buying this game. I'll probably """rent""" it or share with a friend or however people share games these days. (Or watch a youtube LP, I doubt the SP would be spoilt for choice and that I'd miss out on a lot by not playing it myself.)

Can we talk about Rey? Why is Rey even a hero? Don't get me wrong, I liked TFA a lot and I liked Rey too (nothing wrong with young and talented prodigies!! Wesley Crusher wasn't that annoying!!!), but why is she a hero in this game?! She doesn't deserve to be a hero in this game. She's got no formal training, and only managed to do like two or three things properly in the movie (in terms of combat and force usage, that is). Not yet! Why not leave her out right now, release the game, then wait for the movie to come out, and if she goes training and does something worthy of being a hero, ADD HER IN AT THAT POINT IN TIME! ****ing hell, EA. Why buy all those mandatory TMs when you're only going to not utilise them properly.

So, at the end of all this, I didn't dislike playing this for a bit, but I feel it's rather like the previous game - I enjoyed the "beta", but I was frustrated with it, and felt that this is not a game I'd see myself playing for a long time. Battlefield 1 awaits. Did you hear that one "In the Name of the Tzar" track with the female choir singing something about death and glory? I've not had time to listen to it properly (and distinguish what they're actually saying) yet, but all the star wars cantina music jizz and EA star wars game jizz can't compare to that. At all.

If you do have lots of free time, and the money, and are looking to buy a game in the near future... I'd recommend buying "Divinity: Original Sin II". It's cheaper, it doesn't have microtransactions, it's rather unlikely it's going to have paid DLC, you've got a ~100 hours guaranteed playtime in it, you can play it even if nobody else is playing it, and I know it's like comparing apples to a sofa, but it was that good that I'm recommending it in this thread.

EDIT: or if you really want star wars, replay Jedi Outcast/Academy a few more times. MovieBattles 2 might still be a thing, too. I won't recommend the old battlefront 2, because I seem to recall it being a little... bad. (worse than Battlefield 2, that's for certain)

L̨u҉m͞o̧s̡ said:
won't recommend the old battlefront 2, because I seem to recall it being a little... bad. (worse than Battlefield 2, that's for certain)
Gratz, all of your points are now invalid, never post again.

But seriously, this really sounds worse than the first reboot. Guess I'll have have to go back to dreaming of a remastered Battlefront 2 (((((Classic))))).

Also, my own fighter model (TIE interceptors in particular) are too damn big, and/or the camera is too close to the back end of it. So many crashes inside buildings (and they apparently don't take damage, either)...
The last Battlefront seemed to have some kind of hitbox-related problem with fighters. I died a whole bunch of times by "crashing" into something on the ground when I'd felt pretty sure I was going to miss it. IIRC sometimes when the camera would pan away as my ship blew up, I could see it blowing up slightly above whatever it was I supposedly hit. I seriously hope they've fixed that in this game, but if not, that could be responsible for some of your crashes.

"hurray, let's spin around in circles for two minutes whilst trying to outmaneuver each other, in our more or less exactly identical vehicles, and nobody wants to disengage, because that would surely give an advantage to the opponent, so let's just keep spinning and wonder what we're doing with our lives"
From what I've seen on YouTube and from what I played of the last game, that about sums it up, alright.

I played the game like five or six hours today and I have to say that, I feel disappointed. Graphics are good like first one but in-game mechanics are so confusing. I tried FPS mode first, it was weird. Then I tried TPS mode, it was weird too. Also mouse sensitivity options are stupid.

As a class, Heavy is so broken.

There's a war between Republic and Separatists, right ? Then why the heck they put Rey as a hero in this Naboo map ?

EA f*cked up about some FPS games they made. Battlefield Hardline, Battlefront and Battlefield 1. Should I add Battlefront 2 in that list ? It's too early for that but I can't see sunshine in this game for future.

I can understand if you roast anything about the game but it is not the same thing as Hardline nor Battlefront 1 EA. It is actually an improved, diverse, including loads of content, something different and new-stuff game. You may not like weapons, like too many special weapons as if they were standart-issue. But that doesn't make it bad. Hardline was bad and servers are ghosttown down there.

They're obviously not the same but they have a common point. After Battlefield 3 and 4's success, these new games just dropped that level down. Battlefield 1 have an amazing theme but can't even reach Battlefield 4's success. EA just killing himself in my opinion. There are a lot of people who wants old school FPS games with improved graphics, not improved or f*cked mechanics.

Bro you are too biased about them. I am a huge fan of Battlefield franchise. When Battlefield 3 came up, it blowed my mind. Damn those graphics were too good for 2011. Jet mission was something. BF3 definitely started a new era on gaming. But I remember correctly people were so salty about Battlefield 4 teaser trailer. They were like "Hey, we just had modern shooter bf3, what the heck DICE?". These kept on even when released. EA pushed game to compete Call of Duty and BF4 born cripple. I played 20 straight months when game released and experienced whole process. Today, BF4 is a solid game and after almost 4 years, it's still enjoyable.

So then lets compare statistic stuff.

Online players right now and peak numbers. It is 5:10 a.m. UTC+0(London) or 1:10 a.m. UTC-4(Washington) right now.

http://bf3stats.com/ BF3 - 2011
5GMLaR.png

http://bf4stats.com/ BF4 - 2013
V3vPDn.png

http://bfhstats.com/ BFH - 2015
nJLjl0.png

http://bf1stats.com/ BF1 - 2016
vJnXPv.png

I am leaving analysis part to you. So what about the sales? According to Vgsales.com, Battlefield 3 sold 15 million and Battlefield 4 13.80 million copies. Hardline only sold 4.1 million.

And Battlefield 1?
Here is how Battlefield 1' first week sales compare to other games in the franchise:

Battlefield 3 - 4.68M
Battlefield 1 - 3.46M
Battlefield 4 - 2.59M
Battlefield: Hardline - 1.48M
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 1.39M
Battlefield: Bad Company - 0.44M
and this:
https://venturebeat.com/2017/01/23/morgan-stanley-raises-battlefield-1-sales-estimate-to-15-million/ said:
Morgan Stanley, a Wall Street financial firm, is raising its 2017 earnings forecast for EA by 3 percent based on the performance of the publisher’s World War I shooter Battlefield 1 and its mobile Star Wars game. Battlefield was so strong through EA’s fiscal third quarter and the gift-giving holidays, that Morgan Stanely now estimates that the game surpassed 15 million copies sold.

“We [are raising] our Battlefield fiscal-third-quarter unit estimate by 2.6 million to 15 million,” reads a note from Morgan Stanley’s analyst team. “[That’s] based on strong third-party data trends and our proprietary price tracker showing Battlefield was the second least discounted title this holiday season, which we view as a sign of strength.”

Last but not least, Metacritic points for these games(for PC).

Battlefield 3 - 89 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-3
Battlefield 4 - 81 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-4
BF: Hardline  - 71 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-hardline
Battlefield 1 - 88 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-1

Long story short, Battlefield 1 is a good, improved, successful game.

Back
Top Bottom