SP - Scenes Spy among us (For the WHOLE arena to watch)

Users who are viewing this thread

I always find it weird that a whole arena is set to watch me kill a spy.

Isn't it much more immersive to zoom in on the guy. And locally fight? F.i. when you find him in the back alley, let's have the other guys (his and mine) around a little circled arena in the back alley.There will be a fight within the town. Maybe even a brawl?

That is much more immersive.

Why should we openly fight in the arena! That makes no sense. Does the arena master have the time in his schedule for me and the spy to make an appointment to fight, just before the tournament? :grin: Don't think so.

No i think a small battle within the city stage. (Waterfront, Back alley etc.) Makes much more sense.

Last edited:
Agreed, having a duel with a spy for the whole town to watch is really-really weird.

Challenging and fighting him in some backstreet and having thugs and other contenders as witnesses would look much more immersive.

Because the town doesn't know, that this guy is a spy, they only know that a tournament is soon taking place, that some partitioners are alrdy in the town and that two guys got on the wrong foot with each other and now are dueling.
And probably (since the Arena Master explains, when you ask him) the Merchants of the town sold tickets to duels. It is the medieval age, they got not Netflix and stuff, seeing a duel in an arena is probably exciting and fun for them.

Because the town doesn't know, that this guy is a spy, they only know that a tournament is soon taking place, that some partitioners are alrdy in the town and that two guys got on the wrong foot with each other and now are dueling.
And probably (since the Arena Master explains, when you ask him) the Merchants of the town sold tickets to duels. It is the medieval age, they got not Netflix and stuff, seeing a duel in an arena is probably exciting and fun for them.

You could not simply walk into the Arena and duke it out with a guy you claim to be a spy. That's not how it works. You go to a soccer match. But first you have to watch two people dribble passed eachother, because they met on the street? No man.
Fair point about the duels. But this is not a duel as such. There are also no winnings.
when two people duel. Isn't it more fun if they battle on the streets where they met? Or do you also think the thug missions should be in the arena?

This is a completely different mission than the practice fights. This is a spy mission.
And as soon as you see beyond his masquerade, you and him should deal with it. Right there right now.

Last edited:
Agreed, having a duel with a spy for the whole town to watch is really-really weird.

Challenging and fighting him in some backstreet and having thugs and other contenders as witnesses would look much more immersive.

Exactly my point! It is very implausible that if the spy knows you got him, he would not fight immediately.

" is this afternoon at 12 ok for you? Ok i will schedule the ARENA for our personal vendetta." See you then!

No. Fight on the streets where you met. Just like with the thugs. With some companies, and people around.
Much better.

Exactly my point! It is very implausible that if the spy knows you got him, he would not fight immediately.

" is this afternoon at 12 ok for you? Ok i will schedule the ARENA for our personal vendetta." See you then!

No. Fight on the streets where you met. Just like with the thugs. With some companies, and people around.
Much better.

Well although the quest-giving noble doesn't say so, I think, that the devs want to imply, that the noble wants to send a message by massacring the spy in broad daylight, visible to everyone in the Arena.

Besides (I never failed that quest so that is speculation) the noble could post guards at the exits of the arena so even if you fail, he could get the spy himself. The Arena is a controlled, prepared environment.

If you however Brawl on the streets with the Spy immediately, he could get away rather easily, because, if you die on the streets, no one knows, that the is the spy, he just could walk out of town as a normal peasant.

Well although the quest-giving noble doesn't say so, I think, that the devs want to imply, that the noble wants to send a message by massacring the spy in broad daylight, visible to everyone in the Arena.

Besides (I never failed that quest so that is speculation) the noble could post guards at the exits of the arena so even if you fail, he could get the spy himself. The Arena is a controlled, prepared environment.

If you however Brawl on the streets with the Spy immediately, he could get away rather easily, because, if you die on the streets, no one knows, that the is the spy, he just could walk out of town as a normal peasant.

And the spy just complies with this duel? They just walk in together, or they schedule a time? How does that work exactly :grin:
If you were a spy, wouldn't you try to escape, when you know a noble sought you? Or would you show up in the arena, for everybody to know you were the spy.
If you brawl on the street how could he get away exactly when you are in front of him with a sword or companions?
In your assumption the quest where you look for a daughter also should be in the arena because otherwise the two lovebirds could get away.

Sir. When the spy wins the fight. He walks out of ther arena as well. Don't you think that is a bit weird?
"Yes all of you know now i am a spy, but i won, so i will just walk out of here alive now. I know you all know my face, but that's ok"

First, If a spy gets caught he wants to set the bar straight right away. He doesn't want people to know him. That's part of being a spy.
Second. A spy agreeing to a match inside an arena, makes no sense. There is no feeling of getting caught. And he would probably try to escape in the meantime.
Third, you couldn't just walk in the arena go and fight like it was an open building. That's not how it works.
"yeah i just met this dude, we have a score to settle, is it convenient that we let everyone wait for the tournament and duke it out first ? "Sure no problem sir!"

It's more immersive if the spy knows he got caught and tries to weasel himself out of the situation right there,where he got caught.

Last edited:
It is the medieval age, some of the things that we see there make no sense at all.

The Spy says that he feels honorbound to accept the duel, obviously trying to keep up his coverstory in the case that he wins.
And you have to keep that perspective in mind, he is confident that he can win.

And for a matter of fact, we don't know exactly how the Arena is rooted in the Calradian Culture and on what stage Calradian Culture is exactly.
I mean the Arena Master states, that they abolished the "real" Arena fights long ago, since they were a bloody mess, but yet slavery exists on an even larger scale than in RL in the medieval ages, because everyone, who gets captured by a War Party, will be sold into slavery.

I see your point, but I think the Spy also assesses correctly, that in that moment the player character is the only one knowing and by winning the duel and killing the player this way, he would silence this witness and have the perfect excuse for it instead of like slaying him right there and maybe get cought and executed for murdering a servant of the nobles of that kingdom.
So I can see, why he is doing it, to keep his cover intact and continue his purpose, if he wins.

That spy is either overconfident or fanatical, one of the two, however I'd go with the first one since seemingly it doesn't seem to me, that the kingdoms go to war with each other over fanatical reasons, they just do it for pragmatic reasons like e.g. one of their neighbours insulted them or they want more land or more riches or everything of it.

It is the medieval age, some of the things that we see there make no sense at all.

The Spy says that he feels honorbound to accept the duel, obviously trying to keep up his coverstory in the case that he wins.
And you have to keep that perspective in mind, he is confident that he can win.

And for a matter of fact, we don't know exactly how the Arena is rooted in the Calradian Culture and on what stage Calradian Culture is exactly.
I mean the Arena Master states, that they abolished the "real" Arena fights long ago, since they were a bloody mess, but yet slavery exists on an even larger scale than in RL in the medieval ages, because everyone, who gets captured by a War Party, will be sold into slavery.

I see your point, but I think the Spy also assesses correctly, that in that moment the player character is the only one knowing and by winning the duel and killing the player this way, he would silence this witness and have the perfect excuse for it instead of like slaying him right there and maybe get cought and executed for murdering a servant of the nobles of that kingdom.
So I can see, why he is doing it, to keep his cover intact and continue his purpose, if he wins.

That spy is either overconfident or fanatical, one of the two, however I'd go with the first one since seemingly it doesn't seem to me, that the kingdoms go to war with each other over fanatical reasons, they just do it for pragmatic reasons like e.g. one of their neighbours insulted them or they want more land or more riches or everything of it.

Yes ok this is complete theory over why the lands do as they do.
Fair points, the both of us.
I would like it to be a bit sneakier than it is right now.

Back
Top Bottom