Spear Static Damage WIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Thankfully the hand position is easy enough to change in crafting_pieces by playing with "move_diff=" and lowering the value. I've lowered it enough on some weapons where the guy is actually gripping the pommel of a polearm.
make this into a mod? but not holding at the very end, just holding it abit closer to the end.

make this into a mod? but not holding at the very end, just holding it abit closer to the end.
Keep increasing the number. Here's one example where I made it practically gripping the pommel, though it may change if you custom craft the weapon and increase or decrease the size.

<CraftingPiece id="great_halberd_grip" name="{=*}Great Halberd Grip" tier="5" piece_type="Handle" mesh="spear_handle_17" length="190" weight="0.06">
<PieceUsages unavailable_usages="" />
<BuildData move_diff="60" top_diff="2" bottom_diff="1" />

I'm saying if the horse hits a braced spear, that spearmen should be knocked on his ass the same way infantry taking a horse collision does (ideally with a broken spear and dead horse + thrown rider), but if he has the timing and skill to aim at the guy ON the horse, that guy should get knocked off the horse (and likely killed), and the collision should be a lot less for the spearmen. For facing infantry, the guy with the spear should NOT be knocked over, but instead deal a speed based percentage of damage to the guys dumb enough to run face first into the spearpoint.

oh sorry, I didn't understand.
I generally agree.

The rider should take impact damage during the fall if the horse dies.
And if the rider is hit instead of the horse, obviously the rider should be thrown out.
But I would appreciate that the horse, which obviously runs straight, if it hits the footed spearman, the spearman must suffer the consequences of an impact.

changing the hand position isn't useful if it just moves the arm back and the distance between the tip and the enemy is still the same, does the position of the spear move forward relative to the hand?

This is THE mod that really make me thrilled.

I don't know much about ancient warfare, but I would like to suggest a few game-balancing ideas:

1. A few seconds of preparation time before enabling 'spear bracing' mode. ( So that cavalry rear charge is still rewarding).
2. As someone mentioned above, once the 'brace damage' is dealt, infantry should get out of the mode. ( however, I think the momentum knock back mechanic is quite difficult to implement )
3. Set a lower speed threshold to the spear bracing, so that only charging horses above certain limit can be hurt by the mode. ( Otherwise infantry will melt just as cavalry do)
4. set a length threshold that only spears above certain length can activate this mode. ( I don't want to be wrecked by looter's pitchfork all the time )
*5. (This can be really tricky to deal with) Change cavalry AI that it never charge stationed spearmen formation up front. (perhaps grouping is a way to think about, but I don't know how exactly is the AI command code working)

Yes I think thats precisely what this tweak does. But I'm bot sure whether this tweak actually affects the collision model of the weapon. It could be just a graphic change without any effect on gameplay.

When you increase the move_diff, not only do your hands go lower on the weapon, but the listed weapon range actually increases too. I took the Vladian Tier 5 pike, whose handle is normally 300 length, and now it's showing as having 400 reach after setting the move_diff a bit over 100.

This is THE mod that really make me thrilled.

I don't know much about ancient warfare, but I would like to suggest a few game-balancing ideas:

1. A few seconds of preparation time before enabling 'spear bracing' mode. ( So that cavalry rear charge is still rewarding).
2. As someone mentioned above, once the 'brace damage' is dealt, infantry should get out of the mode. ( however, I think the momentum knock back mechanic is quite difficult to implement )
3. Set a lower speed threshold to the spear bracing, so that only charging horses above certain limit can be hurt by the mode. ( Otherwise infantry will melt just as cavalry do)
4. set a length threshold that only spears above certain length can activate this mode. ( I don't want to be wrecked by looter's pitchfork all the time )
*5. (This can be really tricky to deal with) Change cavalry AI that it never charge stationed spearmen formation up front. (perhaps grouping is a way to think about, but I don't know how exactly is the AI command code working)

The thing is, charging infantry should get messed up by lowered spears, especially if they don't have metal armor or shields... Do you think you could run into a lowered longsword blade and not be hurt by it? A sharpened spear blade attached to an ash pole would be even worse. Sharpened steel goes through flesh with frightening ease.

The thing is, charging infantry should get messed up by lowered spears, especially if they don't have metal armor or shields... Do you think you could run into a lowered longsword blade and not be hurt by it? A sharpened spear blade attached to an ash pole would be even worse. Sharpened steel goes through flesh with frightening ease.

I said I suggest for game-balancing. What do you want if spear-bracing against all? Just sit there and watch opponent die all the way? That's just boring.

I said I suggest for game-balancing. What do you want if spear-bracing against all? Just sit there and watch opponent die all the way? That's just boring.

No... the AI (and players) shouldn't be so stupid as to just run into a lowered spearpoint, like people through history weren't. And a proper thrust should do more damage than just walking into someone with a lowered spear.

No... the AI (and players) shouldn't be so stupid as to just run into a lowered spearpoint, like people through history weren't. And a proper thrust should do more damage than just walking into someone with a lowered spear.
Just in case you may not know: TW didn't let the AI programming as open as the other parts. So anything related to AI behavior is really hard to mod. Also my point still holds that it's just boring to let one type of unit extremely OP.

Just in case you may not know: TW didn't let the AI programming as open as the other parts. So anything related to AI behavior is really hard to mod. Also my point still holds that it's just boring to let one type of unit extremely OP.

Why does it have to be overpowered? Any sharp, pointy weapon should cause SOME damage while held forward, even swords could be given that ability if they aren't extreme cutting types.. I'm not saying it should cut through knights like butter, and I even said a proper thrust should do more damage than just walking into someone with your spear lowered... as in, if you stab the spearman with a thrust, you will win if all he's doing is walking into you. What's OP now (and unrealistic as hell) is short weapons since you can just phase through enemy spears like they are made of vapor and then bludgeon them to death, since all non cutting polearms are awkward as hell and only have two attack angles, not to mention they still get caught up on allies when in a sheildwall, despite the latest fix (which only worked for swords and short axes.)

When you increase the move_diff, not only do your hands go lower on the weapon, but the listed weapon range actually increases too. I took the Vladian Tier 5 pike, whose handle is normally 300 length, and now it's showing as having 400 reach after setting the move_diff a bit over 100.
I wonder if this would allow modders to create spears with adjustable grip. In warband you could add set the next weapon in the catalog as the alternative mode of the previous weapon and if I understood correctly thats how throw weapons could switch from ranged to melee. I sure hope a similar system exists in bannerlord .

Spears and pike need to be mechanically buffed against infantry as well, not just cavalry. Spear and shield is THE most effective battlefield combo against infantry, and no infantry can win against a pike formation head on.

Spears are the meta on the battlefield. Most infantry should be armed with them, just like how most modern soldiers fight primarily with rifles, not pistols, PDWs, or shotguns. I don't see anyone calling rifles OP.

Why does it have to be overpowered? Any sharp, pointy weapon should cause SOME damage while held forward, even swords could be given that ability if they aren't extreme cutting types.. I'm not saying it should cut through knights like butter, and I even said a proper thrust should do more damage than just walking into someone with your spear lowered... as in, if you stab the spearman with a thrust, you will win if all he's doing is walking into you. What's OP now (and unrealistic as hell) is short weapons since you can just phase through enemy spears like they are made of vapor and then bludgeon them to death, since all non cutting polearms are awkward as hell and only have two attack angles, not to mention they still get caught up on allies when in a sheildwall, despite the latest fix (which only worked for swords and short axes.)

I think you just don't get my point: yes in ideal world, spearmen should utilize their weapon length as an advantage. But reality is that in current phase, AI just can't be programmed to be smart enough to hold shied to approach enemies, or not to engage this new type of formation. Thus, it will be extremely boring.
Spears are the meta on the battlefield. Most infantry should be armed with them, just like how most modern soldiers fight primarily with rifles, not pistols, PDWs, or shotguns. I don't see anyone calling rifles OP.
There’s a difference between reality and interesting game.

spamming one type of weapon might be historically accurate, but really boring for a game.

For instance, is it really so that axemen beat swordsmen, swordsmen beat spearmen and spearmen beat axemen? Not actually. But why would many game create such a trio? Cause otherwise why create sword & axe in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom