Some love for polearms

Users who are viewing this thread

mouthnhoof

Knight at Arms
A lot of the equipment we have in the game still need its stats to be tweaked and it has been discussed before. However, after having some great time using the glave and iron staff lately, I wanted to draw some attention to the polearms. These are the backbone of every army since biblical times till the renaissance. Every culture had its own versions of fighting stick, stabbing stick, hammer on a stick, sword on a stick and axe on a stick.

1. Damage:
It seems that polearm damage stats need a lot of tweaking. For example, most swords, even 1 handed, do higher pierce damage than spears, glaves and pikes. A spear held 2H does 23 pierce, a glave, which is basically a sword on a stick, does just 19, while a an arming sword does 24 and sword of war 30 pierce. An iron staff which is a two handed club should do more blunt damage than a club. However, thrust blunt damage should be significantly reduced.

2. Speed - swing vs. thrust
Polearms are slow weapons to swing which is fine. The long shaft and off center mass makes them require a lot of torque for swinging. However, nothing should make them slow to thrust. A spear (in two hands) is not slower to thrust than a sword. This would require a deeper modification to the game engine, but pole arms should really have two separate speed stats: thrust and swing (if applicable). Those with a very heavy head or extremely long pole might be somewhat slower to thrust though (halbards, poleaxes, polehammers, really long pikes), but still faster than they are now.

3. Two thrust modes:
This has been mentioned before, but it is important enough to mention again. If you are attacked by 3 spear users, holding weapon block blocks all 3 of them until released. We need 2 thrust moves: a heap thrust (operated normally) and a shoulder thrust (replacing the non-existing overhead move for polearms).

4. Normal, Heavy, light types:
We have these for all other melee weapons, why not polearms? heavy type - slower but more damage, light (instead of balanced) type - faster, but less damage.

Actually, in game, spears typically do a lot of damage, contrary to their stats.

A good solid hit will get a good speed bonus, and you can easily do 80 + damage with a one-handed spear. NPC's have done that to me too.

However, I do agree that spears do need to be tweaked a bit. I have held off 10 spearmen attacking me at the same time with a single block button. That does need to be changed.

i did 142 damage with an ashwood pike going at full gallop with my courser. AND with my sword of war i did 98. Polearm proficiency is 282, 2h is 267. SO damage is fine, specially to horses.

regarding the suggestion of the implementation of a secondary thrust attack, however, I am in complete agreement.

Yeah, polearms are pretty darn good except for having only one attack direction.  They can even knock me off my horse when I am attempting to "couched lance" some poor infantry sucker to death if their range is better.

Art Falmingaid said:
Yeah, polearms are pretty darn good except for having only one attack direction.  They can even knock me off my horse when I am attempting to "couched lance" some poor infantry sucker to death if their range is better.

Yup, that's the point. Spears are for stopping the movement of cavalry so you and your allies can swarm the rider.

I agree that spears should have another attack direction. It's almost impossible to die when you get caught sneaking around a Rhodok town because you just hold down parry with your staff and you're invulnerable to them.

While you are on foot, you should be able to do couch damage of horses and their rider if they are charging toward you.

bod said:
While you are on foot, you should be able to do couch damage of horses and their rider if they are charging toward you.

No, you should not. The speed bonus is by far enough to allow you to stop the horse, deal damage to the rider (if you aimed it well), and swarm the unit.

Lord Mur said:
i did 142 damage with an ashwood pike going at full gallop with my courser. AND with my sword of war i did 98. Polearm proficiency is 282, 2h is 267. SO damage is fine, specially to horses.

regarding the suggestion of the implementation of a secondary thrust attack, however, I am in complete agreement.

You can't really include couched hits for what the OP is talking about.
I'm also one of the many people eagerly awaiting a second attack direction for polearms.

staves are polearms and they have all directions for fighting on foot.

do you mean on mount? because theres really no other way you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom