So you want to bear an authentic Norman name

Users who are viewing this thread

Éadríc said:
No no no, they are not equivalents.

Old Dutch / Old Saxon Reginald is from Old Germanic *Raginawaldaz. Its Old Norse equivalent would be Ragnaldr.

Old Norse Reginn is from Old Germanic *raginaz.

And I don't know why you put an acute accent on your i.

Errr... well... uhh... partly because old warcraft character...  :neutral:

Éadríc said:
Tush! Off to there with you.

Bawwwww_bunny.jpg

Dansk viking said:
'tis an unlikely name... Why you would take the name of an ugly dwarf deludes me...

Because he's an awesome blacksmith and he repaired Gram and Sigurd cut a mother****ing anvil in half with it.
Fafnir is a **** though.

Hey, from doing a bit of studying about the Normans around the 1066 time period, and I found a few names, one of which is Bohemund, probably a deriviant of Boemund, and Oswyn, which I've decided to take up.

Are these accurate names?

Edit: I've also found Ilbert, he was a member of the de Lacy family who fought alongside William at Hastings, and built Pontefract Castle on land that William gifted them.

So, since I don't want my (nick)name to be covered by the shame on fighting along a normant side, I wanted to ask if it was possible to turn my (nick)name into something more appropriate for the event.

Oswyn said:
Hey, from doing a bit of studying about the Normans around the 1066 time period, and I found a few names, one of which is Bohemund, probably a deriviant of Boemund, and Oswyn, which I've decided to take up.

Are these accurate names?

Edit: I've also found Ilbert, he was a member of the de Lacy family who fought alongside William at Hastings, and built Pontefract Castle on land that William gifted them.
Bohemund appears to be a later form of Boemund (the -h- was silent and in all probability was there just to separate the two syllables). Latin sources have Boemundus or Boamundus. For the 11th century, Boemund or Boemunt would be perfectly accurate.

As for Oswyn, while it could be a later Anglo-Norman spelling of a valid (if unattested) Norman name akin to the Old English male name Óswine, the likeliest scenario, depending on the dating of your source, is that it’s either the Middle English descendant of Óswine or the Old English female name Óswynn. If you found it in a post-Conquest English source, it probably records the names of individuals of both Norman and Anglo-Saxon heritage. None of them would be appropriate Norman names for the first half of the 11th century, although a name like *Oswin/*Osuin or *Ansuin would theoretically be possible as Norman adaptations of names ocurring elsewhere.

Ilbert was probably Hilbert (see Latin forms like Hilbertus and Hylbertus alongside Ilbertus), which would be a reduced form of Hildebert. For the first half of the 11th century, I’d go with the form Hilbert.
C_Ronin_Rico said:
So, since I don't want my (nick)name to be covered by the shame on fighting along a normant side, I wanted to ask if it was possible to turn my (nick)name into something more appropriate for the event.
A direct adaptation of your nickname into Norman would be *Finulf. This direct adaptation thingie is what I did for the Fyrningas and the Erlingar, but if you want to pick a name that's actually attested, you could go as Richer or Richart, referencing the 'Rico' bit.

hrotha said:
A direct adaptation of your nickname into Norman would be *Finulf. This direct adaptation thingie is what I did for the Fyrningas and the Erlingar, but if you want to pick a name that's actually attested, you could go as Richer or Richart, referencing the 'Rico' bit.

Finulf sounds fine. I guess I can put apart for the event my denomination of "Hevossurmaaja" or "Horse Slayer".
Despite your kindness on finding a proper adaptation for my forum name, it does not belong to my real name, so that would be a wrong usage since I don't feel it as mine. However I'm happy with "Finulf" and I think it fits the historical background/event.

Thank you for your help.

Glad you liked it!

Added 14 new names. More importantly, I marked names that have an irregular object case form for the sake of patronymics and the like (eg. Ives-Ivun). I also specified those names are much more likely to appear with a subject form in -s.

I finally got around to including a paragraph about the Joret line and northern vs southern Norman dialects, and to listing the southern variants of several names.

The good news is now we know Will should properly be called "Guillelme", since Ivry-la-Bataille lies south of the Joret line. :razz:

hrotha said:
If you want to include the "horse slayer" bit, I think Finulf Tuechevalz should work.

And you're welcome!

Hey Hrotha! Just curious, what does the z indicate here? Singular horse in modern French is 'cheval', plural 'chevaux'. Wondering how the structure worked back then!

The -z is just the form the -s ending usually takes after an -l. It would be /ls/, but it was pronounced [lts] in Norman and therefore spelled <lz> (see eltes for standard else in English). Around the Víkingr era, mostly shortly afterwards, this /l/ became /u/ before other consonants, and so chevalz, chevals became chevaus, later spelled chevaux when the final /s/ stopped being pronounced.

The structure of the language was confusing as hell, as it was in the middle of changing from an inflected language like Latin to a largely uninflected one like modern French. If you just wanted to say "horse" you'd say chevalz, but "of the horse" would be del cheval, while "horses" would be cheval and "of the horses" would be des chevalz. So for most nouns the forms with -s could be either singular or plural, subject or object, and you'd have to rely on the context to know. During the 12th century or thereabouts this system was simplified, making -s a straightforward mark of the plural and doing away with the two-case (subject & oblique [object]) system.

In Tuechevalz, -chevalz is actually in the plural, because Romance compounds don't work like Germanic compounds. Literally, Tuechevalz would be "kills-horses".

As far as I can tell, it's not attested in Normandy proper for this time period, but there's an individual from Mercœur (Auvergne, France) who bore this name and who died in 956, aside from other attestations from later times. The form of the name should have been simply "Joseph", I think. Bear in mind, however, that at the time, in all probability, such a name would only have been used by the clergy and monks.

hrotha said:
The -z is just the form the -s ending usually takes after an -l. It would be /ls/, but it was pronounced [lts] in Norman and therefore spelled <lz> (see eltes for standard else in English). Around the Víkingr era, mostly shortly afterwards, this /l/ became /u/ before other consonants, and so chevalz, chevals became chevaus, later spelled chevaux when the final /s/ stopped being pronounced.

The structure of the language was confusing as hell, as it was in the middle of changing from an inflected language like Latin to a largely uninflected one like modern French. If you just wanted to say "horse" you'd say chevalz, but "of the horse" would be del cheval, while "horses" would be cheval and "of the horses" would be des chevalz. So for most nouns the forms with -s could be either singular or plural, subject or object, and you'd have to rely on the context to know. During the 12th century or thereabouts this system was simplified, making -s a straightforward mark of the plural and doing away with the two-case (subject & oblique [object]) system.

In Tuechevalz, -chevalz is actually in the plural, because Romance compounds don't work like Germanic compounds. Literally, Tuechevalz would be "kills-horses".

Goddamnit, I just realised I never answered you here though I was sure I did, sorry about that! And thanks for taking the time, interesting stuff - I'm guessing you speak fluent modern French, too?

Man You ARE Awesome at this :smile:

Ok...Makes sense......THANKS!!!!

But I have another Question (Sorry) Can I think up a "First Name" Or can I only think up the "Second Name"???

Unless I am wrong or I did not get something right, the first name is your actual name, for example Willelme. The second name is the name of your father, for example Rodbert, so the full name would be Willelme filz Rodbert, meaning William, son of Robert or you could even have Willelme filz Rodbert lu Honurant, meaning William, son of Robert the Honourable.

Now I believe I am right but I am 100% sure that if I am wrong or got something wrong, Mr Hrotha will be here any moment soon to teach me a lesson or two...

Back
Top Bottom