So you want to bear an authentic Norman name

Users who are viewing this thread

What Will said is right. However, there were proto-surnames already in this era, usually derived from nicknames. For example, Willelme Malez, "William (the) Hammer" or Richard (li) Goz, "Richard (the) Gaut". It's a relatively unexplored field for me though.
Lily-Livered River Pirate said:
Goddamnit, I just realised I never answered you here though I was sure I did, sorry about that! And thanks for taking the time, interesting stuff - I'm guessing you speak fluent modern French, too?
Heavens, no! I've never studied modern French - actually, I dislike it quite a bit. I've just learned some of the basics of its phonological history, which I find pretty interesting.

Was there not also a character called William Longsword? I believe I heard of him as I was reading about him in one of my many collections of books.

Yes, he's referred to as Longaspata in Latin, Longuespee in Old French and Langaspjót in the original Old Norse. "Longuespee" became a surname in French, although it probably descends from later people who had the same nickname, not from Vilhjalmr Langaspjót himself.

Just adding to the collection, maybe this would help:

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/France.htm

Thanks, Þryða!

Bear in mind however that the forms of those names belong to a later period than Víkingr, and to other dialects, so if someone fancies them they should adapt them to late 10th century-early 11th century Norman standards first (see for example Arnaud/Arnould vs Arnald/Arnold or Geoffroi vs Gefrei(d) in my list), and there's no guarantee a priori that any particular name was attested during or before the Víkingr period just because it was used in later times.

This thread is quite unique, actually. There's not a lot of info on 11th century specifically Norman names out there - most Old French sources apply to the late 12th, 13th and 14th centuries, and there was a lot of scholarly reconstruction involved in compiling this list so that it would be tailor-made for Víkingr.

It was the best I could find in a quick search, Hroða! But undoubtedly could you translate the names listed in there to more Víkingr-fashioned age. If that would be requested. :smile:

fysaga said:
Id like to call my character Boemunt the Bear, so it should be Boemunt li ? Do we even know such words in old Norman or would I have to rely on old French ?
Boemunt li Urs / Boemunt l'Urs / Boemunt Urs would do.

Much of the material for early Old French is from Anglo-Norman, actually.

hrotha said:
fysaga said:
Id like to call my character Boemunt the Bear, so it should be Boemunt li ? Do we even know such words in old Norman or would I have to rely on old French ?
Boemunt li Urs / Boemunt l'Urs / Boemunt Urs would do.

Much of the material for early Old French is from Anglo-Norman, actually.

Boemunt l'Urs it is then. Thanks for the help. Well, that makes sense, as we most probably have the most written records from after the Norman Conquest, for example the domesday book.

Is there a name that could work as a cognate to my Englisc username, "Aethel"?
Not necessarily as a "true" cognate, but perhaps either something that sounds and looks similar, or perhaps a name that means essentially the same thing ("noble" adj.)?

I'm getting a little tired of "Serle", and it contrasts too much with my Saxon username, haha.

From this list, 'Albert', 'Albreid' and 'Albri' all have al- < adel- < *aþala- as their first element. Among the female names, 'Adile' is an exact equivalent of 'Æþel(e)', and 'Adeline' is the same but with a diminutive suffix.

Do you think there would be a masculine form of Adile or Adeline?
Adelbert or some such?

It all stems from the Germanic root "adal", correct?

'Adelbert' is just an older form of 'Albert'. It's not a masculine version of 'Adile'/'Adeline', it just uses the same first element.

Is Amalri a cognate of Amalric?

I think I might take that. Either that, or one of your suggestions (Albri, Alvrei, or feminine Adeline).

Back
Top Bottom