So, I haven't played since .751.

Users who are viewing this thread

Zephran

Recruit
Years ago, a friend of mine played this game, and her demanded that I check it out. I checked it out, then played it on his computer every chance I got for a few months straight.

A few days ago I came to the site to see if Mount&Blade was still around, and, seeing happily that it was, I quickly made my purchase and loaded it up. The first thing I thought was, "I wonder if the hidden chests still have the samurai gear." Then, upon starting, I was rightly blown away.

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played since years ago (I think registration was $5 at the time). I'm kind of overwhelmed by this new version, .950. I'm not sure how to get started now. As far as I can see, there's no Zendar, no river pirates to train up on, no arena for easy leveling and cash generation. Also, the lances seem to have been nerfed terribly (they used to dominate even when dismounted). Anyone have any suggestions for getting started out?

Oh, and I seem to have lost my registration info. What's the best way of recovering that?

Tiedye said:
I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played since years ago (I think registration was $5 at the time). I'm kind of overwhelmed by this new version, .950. I'm not sure how to get started now. As far as I can see, there's no Zendar, no river pirates to train up on, no arena for easy leveling and cash generation. Also, the lances seem to have been nerfed terribly (they used to dominate even when dismounted). Anyone have any suggestions for getting started out?

Oh, and I seem to have lost my registration info. What's the best way of recovering that?

I am indeed in the exact same position, essentially.

looters are the new river pirates,you will find them around the trainning centres.

Tiedye said:

Lances and spears have been nerfed wen couched, and bost up wen on foot and stabing people from horseback.
ALL cities have arenas, you can go to the arena master and ask wen a new tournament will be done and where.
There is lotes around all the map, and training grounds spread out, I think there is a guide in the FAQ

For your old registration info, they have (or used to have -I stopped paying attention to threads like this a long time ago...) records of all of that.  I have to imagine they still do.  PM Archonsod, or wait until he shows up in this thread for further direction. 

Actually, I'd like this info myself.  Last night I was re-introducing a friend to M&B who bought the game back in .635, played the hell out of it, then got bored and never followed along with the development.  He was nicely blown away.  :cool:  And I want him to be able to play again.

Well, after being dragged around the whole of Calradia after being constantly beaten over and over by everyone and everything for a few in game months, I finally got a decent company rallied and I was having a fun time in the Vaegir war party, until I started crashing every few minutes, (not complaining, though. No one said it was a stable release, right?). The overall difficulty of the game seems to have gone up signifigantly. No easy recruiting and no easy leveling. The Lords are pretty cool, makes me feel like I'm not the only persistant military force in the world, and rivalries and friendships are awesome. The new countries make me feel like the world has grown since last I left it, as well.

I've noticed the looters, but they don't do you much good when you start out in mountain bandit country and they all move faster than you.

The arenas are seemingly impossible, too. No money reward and after you take a few out they all chase you down.

played the hell out of it, then got bored and never followed along with the development.  He was nicely blown away.  :cool:  And I want him to be able to play again.
[/quote]

I played this years ago.  Exact same thing.

Also I had to recover registration info as well.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,12982.0.html

go there.  Praise the magical search tool.

But how do I actually pu tmy serial in?  I feel stupid.  :oops:

You can buy high level mercenary troops in taverns, so throw what money you have towards them for back-up. Basically just do a few quests, earn a little cash, and join up with a faction. Looting towns is huge money and you only kill farmers. Trading seems to be slightly broken right now, so there's some easy cashpots (spice for 33ea in tulga sells 400-700ea elsewhere for example) Also personally I play it where if you screw up and get captured by someone, just reload. :wink: Too much of a boring penalty to lose all troops starting out.

1) Realistic setting.

2) Do looted towns 'respawn'? I've looked over the forum and I can't find a final answer on that.

When you run the game, does it pop up with an "activate now" screen before you get to the "play, config, update, so on" bit?

If not, then you've already activated it.

.950 is far less stable than .903 on the front page; you guys that haven't seen the new features before may want to try an installation of .903 until .950 is less embarassingly glitchy...of course I'm sure you want to play with the new stuff too, so just be advised that .903 is an option.  :smile:

Zephran said:
2) Do looted towns 'respawn'? I've looked over the forum and I can't find a final answer on that.

Yes, villages will lose their 'looted' status after a while (a couple days? I don't know for sure).

Zephran said:
The overall difficulty of the game seems to have gone up signifigantly. No easy recruiting and no easy leveling. The Lords are pretty cool, makes me feel like I'm not the only persistant military force in the world, and rivalries and friendships are awesome. The new countries make me feel like the world has grown since last I left it, as well.

I've started a guide for the new version in the library which should be a decent introduction to the new features (I've made it with new players in mind, but you can skip the obvious bits). Recruits from villages tend to be better than tavern mercenaries, at least when starting out. They lack the combat skills, but if you have decent Charisma or persuasion and you increase the village's relationship with you they're cheap and plentiful, yet they train up rather well (which brings the added advantage of keeping wages low until your ready).
Quests are probably the best way for your character to gain XP in the early stages. Rather than the Lords, go talk to a Village Elder or Town Guildsman (you'll need to wander the streets). Both offer a mix of quests which often don't require any fighting, and when they do it's usually a pretty trivial fight. They pay pretty well in both cash and XP, and of course the improved relationship (particularly in villages) is a boon too.  For wandering parties, Looters have replaced river pirates but it's also worth noting that deserter parties can consist of recruits as well as higher tier troops, which are easy to kill and far more profitable.
The arenas are seemingly impossible, too. No money reward and after you take a few out they all chase you down.
The monetary rewards only apply to tournaments, but they pay up far more than otherwise (4580!). If you're used to the previous arena's then the tournament should be a doddle. The melee practice is really more for honing your own skills, but it can be a useful XP source for your first level or two.

I really appreciate your response and advice. I'll be sure to take it all into account when a more stable release is ready, but the crashes are keeping me down, so for now I'll be going back to .751 and Mount&Shotgun (I'd love to play .903, but I'm afraid that it might lack all the features of .950 that I really enjoy).

Back
Top Bottom