(Skirmish mode) The irrelevancy of 2 handed classes

Users who are viewing this thread

Now this is something that concerns me and i hope many other players, its my baby doll, my first born daughter, my love and paramount = the 2 handed classes in Mount and Blade. Hundred of hours have i played mostly 2 handed in Warband, and enjoyed every minute of it. What was a burning passion for 2handed classes is now one big cognitive dissonance, because i feel like s**t everytime i pick my beloved 2 handed classes in skirmish, i feel like a total tool taking away the win from my teamates, for the sake of my personal enjoyment (sometimes, most of the time its s**te).

This thread concerns Skirmish only. 2h classes are amazing in Captain mode and they are relevant in any kind of chaotic-type mode (TDM and Siege). But when it comes to organized, low-scaled fighting, 2h classes are completely under-used, underperforming and irrelevant.

All of you skirmish veterans, take a step back and ask yourself, when you play a shield-inf class and you encounter a 2h class, what is the first thing that pops into your mind ?

Here's mine : "Ahaha a free kill on a silver platter for the Yukmouth". 90% of the times i'm right, its a free kill for me, sometimes i get surprised by a Menavlion.

No matter the class i play, when i see a 2h class near me, i feel safe, because i know he's dying, in the next 10 seconds, no matter the cause, he's dying soon from me or any of my teamates.

TLDR :
-They die as quick as they kill their melee opponents
-Too vulnerable to projectiles, my suggestion : nerf projectiles damage and turn them into blunt damage.
-Some classes (mostly archers) has 2h weapons while 2handed classes should be the only ones having them
-They should be the ones who has access and throwing weapons, not shield wearers
-They should all run as fast as the savage
-Their Meta : Flankers/Assassins.

What are these classes ?
-Menavlion Infantry
-Voulgier
-Savage (lets highlight this one)
-Berserker
-Guard

Pros and Cons of these classes

Pros :
-They run faster (especially Savage)
-They out-damage their opponents (ONLY when the opponent is not heavily armored). They can oneshot low-armored opponents, and it takes 2 to 4 shots to kill an heavily armored opponent.
-Longer weapons

Cons :
-The infamous most cons of all the cons : they are ultra, massively, extremely vulnerable to projectiles. Their armor is so low, MANY MANY times throwing weapons will straight up one-shot them. When appearing on the battlefield, all the archers turn into predators and start spamming arrows in the 2hander's direction.
-Low armor. Armor so low, 1h weapon will 2 shot you most of the time.
-Vulnerable to projectiles
-Harder to block with (the block delay is being addressed, this may change)
-Vulnerable to projectiles (the amount of throwing weapons are being adressed, this may help a little)
-No shield, which makes them vulnerable to projectiles
-Also, they are SUPER vulnerable to weapons such as Bows, Crossbows, Javelins and Throwing axes.

Where to start...

1- Why in all the millions of f**ks would someone be masochistic enough to pick a class, one of which, most the times, takes as many hits to down his opponents as the classes that are wearing shields ? Average of 2 hits. Of course, 2 handed classes will more likely 1 shot people that are wearing linen as armor (low tier archer classes, other 2 handed classes, peasants), but when it comes to armored classes, 1 handed maces are more lethal overall, and they come with a big fat shield.

2- Some classes are stealing their specialization right in their faces, the most guilty being the Palatine Guard. For a mere amount of 30 moral, you can be a Palatine guard instead of a Menavlion infantry, and have a Menavlion for a weapon.

Menavlion Infantry has 100 hp, 7 armor and 80 movement speed. Palatine Guard has 32 armor, 75 movement speed and 100 hp. So basicly, the Palatine Guard is an armored Menavlion Infantry with a bow and SLIGHTLY slower movement speed.

Same could be said for the Fiann having a 2handed weapon, the Hunter having a 2handed weapon, the Khans Guard being the BEST 2 handed class in the game, which happens to be an Archer.

So not only are these archers the Nemesis for 2 handed classes, but they humiliate them by being 2 handed classes themselves when they run out of arrows.

2 handed classes should be the ones and only specialized 2 handed classes. Remove all these 2 handed weapons from archer classes and tweak the weapon proficiency so the 2 handed classes are the true specialized ones.

Arrows and Bolts are 1 to 2 shotting 2h classes. Now this is a difficult thing to address, because if these are too nerfed, they become null against armor. Arrows and Bolts should be nerfed and turned into blunt damage, reducing the damage they deal to low armored classes, but keeping their damage relevant on heavy armored classes (so basicly they deal the same amount of damage to anyone). I do not care if this makes sense or not in a realistic fashion, i dont care if in real life Arrows arent considered "blunt", this is a game, and for gameplay's sake, they should become blunt and balanced in a way they dont destroy 2 handed low armored classes.

Discussion : What is the position of the 2 handed classes in the current Meta ?

They do not occupy any relevant position in the current meta which is way too overflowing with projectiles of all sorts, i may change my stance a bit once theres less projectiles in the fights, but i think 2 handed classes will remain irrelevant and total tools when it comes to skirmish. They have a weakness that makes them so heavily flawed, none of the cons listed before are making up for it. None of the cons is worth being that vulnerable on the battlefield.

I would like to point finger at the one 2handed class that is, IMO the closest that can ever be to "competitive" state : The savage.

The savage has a VERY high movement speed, which makes them harder to hit for projectiles, significantly helping them overcome the main weakness of 2 handed classes. More often than not, Savages are abble to dance their way to an archer missing his shots over and over again until the Savage has his hands in the poor archer's neck. This movement speed is caused by the ultra low armor the Savage has, so from my personal experience, 75% of the projectiles that hits me will one shot me as Savage.

The savage also has a weapon of mass destruction : a 2 handed MACE. This magnificent weapon truly is a weapon to be feared by Oathsworns, Legionary, Sergents and all other heavy armored classes. Making the Savage quite possibly their most dangerous opponent (until these Heavy Inf throw something at the Savage and oneshots him).

So, basicly, i believe that high movement speed is what makes 2 handed classes the most relevant they can possibly be, because it turns them into what they should be in the Meta = Flankers/Assassins/Damage Dealers. When we look at any competitive game that works with classes of characters, such as League of Legends, theres always Damage dealers, Tanks and Supports. In Bannerlord, Cavalry would be the "support" class, Heavy inf the tanks, and damage dealers would be archers and 2 handed classes. Movement Speed helps 2handed classes do what they are meant to do = the most damage dealt in a fight, because it allows them to slip through ennemies like a soap bar and wound them one after the others. Movement speed gives them the possibility to flank archers and surprise them. So often do i surprise archers in their backs as savage. Unfortunately, Savage is the only class that benefits from this type of movement speed. All the other 2handed classes listed are too slow, therefore too easy to hit with projectiles, and unable to flank and properly deal damage.

I said it in another thread of mine, and i'll bring it back here : 2 handed classes should be the ones who has the throwing weapons, and heavy inf classes should NOT have access to throwing weapons. Giving them this perk reduces the amount of projectiles directed to them, but also gives them a edge when it comes to damage dealing.

Last edited:
Aren't 2h classes really annoying to fight? Giving them throwing weapons exclusively would make them even more annoying.

2h swords generally weren't used in Battle mode for Warband. It was more of a thing for Duel and Groupfighting.

Sometimes if someone had enough gold they'd buy one as a second weapon along with a shield, and pull it out as a surprise tactic in the heat of an engagement, but it was still a big risk. You'd easily get shot down if you entered a battle with one as your primary and without a shield.

Aren't 2h classes really annoying to fight? Giving them throwing weapons exclusively would make them even more annoying.

2h swords generally weren't used in Battle mode for Warband. It was more of a thing for Duel and Groupfighting.

Sometimes if someone had enough gold they'd buy one as a second weapon along with a shield, and pull it out as a surprise tactic in the heat of an engagement, but it was still a big risk. You'd easily get shot down if you entered a battle with one as your primary and without a shield.

Please make sure to keep in mind i am only talking about Skirmish mode. A mode in which absolutely NOBODY plays 2h classes. There is nothing annoying about fighting a 2h class in skirmish, because 2h classes always get massacred in skirmish, they are completely shutted down, which is why im proposing this discussion. Im willing to discuss ideas, but i reject your idea that 2h classes are annoying or hard to fight against. Everybody i've asked the question "how do you feel when your opponent is a 2h class?", they always give me the same answer "lol ez free kill"

Please make sure to keep in mind i am only talking about Skirmish mode. A mode in which absolutely NOBODY plays 2h classes.
I think a small shield perk would help a lot. Just something to let them cover against a little ranged fire; when they get close they can then wack out their big boii toys.

Please make sure to keep in mind i am only talking about Skirmish mode. A mode in which absolutely NOBODY plays 2h classes. There is nothing annoying about fighting a 2h class in skirmish, because 2h classes always get massacred in skirmish, they are completely shutted down, which is why im proposing this discussion. Im willing to discuss ideas, but i reject your idea that 2h classes are annoying or hard to fight against. Everybody i've asked the question "how do you feel when your opponent is a 2h class?", they always give me the same answer "lol ez free kill"
Personally, I find "ballerina shock infantry" annoying to fight in melee, because of the way they spin around and S-key. If they're easy to take out with projectiles, it doesn't improve things for me, because shooting people feels cheap, compared to getting kills in melee. I want game modes to incentivise fun and rewarding gameplay as much as possible. In the same way I'm glad Khergits (i.e. horse archers) are banned in Warband, I'm glad 2h classes aren't viable in Bannerlord. I know a lot of people liked that Battle in Warband generally involved infantry having a 1h sword, shield and spear. I'd imagine it would be the same with Skirmish in Bannerlord.

But if you enjoy 2h fights in Bannerlord, I can see your point.

A friend of mine plays menav inf quite alot, usually when theres 2-3 of us and we can communicate and basically play around him. We know that if he can get close enough to a fight he'll one shot basically anyone, so we call out targets for him to assassinate or we push into a fight, force a melee and then he sneaks out of the shadows or hides behind our shields. This is only in public play though and i highly doubt it would work properly against a team whos communicating, basically exactly how it worked in Warband 8v8s.

Like you said about 90% of the time I see a 2 hander on the enemy team its a free kill, either with range or just push them into melee,play a little bit passive and 2 hit them. The jumping and spinning is annoying but most players dont use it correctly and eventually do screw up and die.
About 50% of the time the 2 handers on my team they die first. The other 50% is cavalry.

I'd like to see 2 handers in matches, it'd be a shame if its ignored like in Warband, but with how two handers are played in TDM etc, yeah pass.

A friend of mine plays menav inf quite alot, usually when theres 2-3 of us and we can communicate and basically play around him. We know that if he can get close enough to a fight he'll one shot basically anyone, so we call out targets for him to assassinate or we push into a fight, force a melee and then he sneaks out of the shadows or hides behind our shields. This is only in public play though and i highly doubt it would work properly against a team whos communicating, basically exactly how it worked in Warband 8v8s.

Like you said about 90% of the time I see a 2 hander on the enemy team its a free kill, either with range or just push them into melee,play a little bit passive and 2 hit them. The jumping and spinning is annoying but most players dont use it correctly and eventually do screw up and die.
About 50% of the time the 2 handers on my team they die first. The other 50% is cavalry.

I'd like to see 2 handers in matches, it'd be a shame if its ignored like in Warband, but with how two handers are played in TDM etc, yeah pass.

But this threads has nothing to do with TDM. Im interested to see 2h balanced for skirmish. They can keep 2h however they want for TDM for all i care, since theres 0 strategy in there, just mindless swinging.

But this threads has nothing to do with TDM. Im interested to see 2h balanced for skirmish. They can keep 2h however they want for TDM for all i care, since theres 0 strategy in there, just mindless swinging.
I cringe when people say TDM has no strategy. It's a different game mode with a different environment and as a result the tactics you use will differ from Skirmish. Just because someone believes that Skirmish is the epitome of skill doesn't invalidate the skills required to perform in TDM.

I cringe when people say TDM has no strategy. It's a different game mode with a different environment and as a result the tactics you use will differ from Skirmish. Just because someone believes that Skirmish is the epitome of skill doesn't invalidate the skills required to perform in TDM.

With the spawns and chaos of TDM generally the only strategy required if you want to try really hard is do your best to not get put in a 2v1/3v1. Besides that I guess try roaming around with your team(?) Obviously there is a certain degree of strategy you're employing if you're atleast caring about self preservation but for the most part it's the norm for most to kinda just linger around and fight with no real long term direction. There's no issue with that, it's casual fun. What strategy do you employ that one wouldn't keep in mind in skirmish that you do in TDM?

What strategy do you employ that one wouldn't keep in mind in skirmish that you do in TDM?

That was not my point. Obviously many skills in TDM transfers over to Skirmish and vice versa.

My issue is that some people reduce it to the extreme by claiming TDM requires little or no skill, as if it's really all about swinging a menavlion wildly or some other simplified example.

Lets stop talking about TDM please. This thread is about skirmish mode. 2h classes can be absolute monsters or nerfed to oblivion in TDM for all i care.

Skirmish is about small scale fight, in small maps, in which its easy to identity the position of your ennemy and have archers zone them. This is an entirely different context when it comes to 2h classes gameplay. It is way easier to perform well as 2h in chaotic modes compared to skirmish. So lets keep this about skirmish please.

With the spawns and chaos of TDM generally the only strategy required if you want to try really hard is do your best to not get put in a 2v1/3v1. Besides that I guess try roaming around with your team(?) Obviously there is a certain degree of strategy you're employing if you're atleast caring about self preservation but for the most part it's the norm for most to kinda just linger around and fight with no real long term direction. There's no issue with that, it's casual fun. What strategy do you employ that one wouldn't keep in mind in skirmish that you do in TDM?

If TDM could just get organized and structured spawns it would go from a chaos hellhole to an EXTREMELY fun gamemode. TDM being more about TEAMS DEATHMATCHING and less about spawning like a checkerboard and running in a random direction to the closest opponent would do WONDERS. @MArdA TaleWorlds @WhoeverIsInChargeOfMP. Less random spawns is the single biggest improvement you can make to the casual experience.

Good god dont turn my thread into a discussion about the mode i consider the LOWEST form of PVP in the book. Please. This is about 2h classes in the Skirmish META.

My issue is that some people reduce it to the extreme by claiming TDM requires little or no skill, as if it's really all about swinging a menavlion wildly or some other simplified example.

Yeah, it does get put down mostly because many TDM players don't seem very high quality but you are correct it does take skill to perform well, its not just up to RNG as some players complain. I just got mixed up between "skill" and "strategy"

Lets stop talking about TDM please.

I agree, this is my last post on it since this is about 2H in skirm it doesn't make sense to talk about other things. I guess from my POV 2 handers were simply not viable in WB and so I don't see an overall need for them in the more "competitive" game mode. I do think they could be more though, as you said in the original post they should perform a jungle/assassin type role. Generally if I ever feel like it in pub I'll go ahead and treat it like that but in a scrim where you have 2 teams communicating it becomes nearly suicidal to try and run around with a 2H attempting to catch someone out of position without getting run down and isolated. As to whether I care or not, I don't really but with some changes maybe 2H junglers could bring a fun new dynamic to the game.

Yeah, it does get put down mostly because many TDM players don't seem very high quality but you are correct it does take skill to perform well, its not just up to RNG as some players complain. I just got mixed up between "skill" and "strategy"

I agree, this is my last post on it since this is about 2H in skirm it doesn't make sense to talk about other things. I guess from my POV 2 handers were simply not viable in WB and so I don't see an overall need for them in the more "competitive" game mode. I do think they could be more though, as you said in the original post they should perform a jungle/assassin type role. Generally if I ever feel like it in pub I'll go ahead and treat it like that but in a scrim where you have 2 teams communicating it becomes nearly suicidal to try and run around with a 2H attempting to catch someone out of position without getting run down and isolated. As to whether I care or not, I don't really but with some changes maybe 2H junglers could bring a fun new dynamic to the game.

In any case, if they are completely unplayable in skirmish, this means something is wrong. Imagine if playing Overwatch all "tank" characters were considered useless and unplayable, that would be a mess and bad game design, it would immeditately be fixes to make them relevant. This is the issue at hand here, 2h are irrelevant, unplayable in serious games. If TW ever wishes to see skirmish on Twitch as an Esport entertainement, 2h classes need to stop being benched, because they are arguably the most exciting classes to play and to see perform.

I hear people belittle my point and be like "yeah, its normal, it was like that in Warband too, 2h classes are useless in organized fights, shields + 1h is the way to go". Well this is meaningless to me, 2h classes are part of the game and if they cant fit in skirmish mode, TW must find a way to make them fit right in.

Imagine the backlash TW would receive if Archers and Crossbowman (fan-favorites most of the time) were completely underperforming, so useless its unplayable.

Give the Volgier, Savage, and Guard options for a small shield and they instantly become balanced medium infantry classes. This would be very easy for the Volgier and Savage because you can just replace the javelins and stones perks respectively.

The game has a supreme lack of medium infantry. Every inf class apart from the wildling is either super heavy or super light. These classes have the opportunity to perfectly fill this niche with some very minor tweaks.

It absolutely would not be overpowered because it would not change how the classes are played in TDM, but it would give them a fighting chance in Skirmish. They can still be footshot because the shields will be quite small with no perk to make them bigger. They would also have to put the shield away to use their real damage dealing weapons. All 3 of these classes already have one handed swords equipped by default, so that would not need to be changed at all.

This is such a simple change that would completely shift the meta in a positive way.

Give the Volgier, Savage, and Guard options for a small shield and they instantly become balanced medium infantry classes. This would be very easy for the Volgier and Savage because you can just replace the javelins and stones perks respectively.

The game has a supreme lack of medium infantry. Every inf class apart from the wildling is either super heavy or super light. These classes have the opportunity to perfectly fill this niche with some very minor tweaks.

It absolutely would not be overpowered because it would not change how the classes are played in TDM, but it would give them a fighting chance in Skirmish. They can still be footshot because the shields will be quite small with no perk to make them bigger. They would also have to put the shield away to use their real damage dealing weapons. All 3 of these classes already have one handed swords equipped by default, so that would not need to be changed at all.

This is such a simple change that would completely shift the meta in a positive way.

It makes them lose DPS power by removing their throwing weapons. I 100% consider that they should be the ones with throwing weapons as opposed to heavy armored units, since they are the "glass cannon" damage dealers class. Maybe they should have either a small shield or the throwing weapons by default. If the shield is by default, theres a perk for improving, a perk for pike and a perk for throwing. If the unit has throwing by default, perks = medium sized shield + pike + improved 2h weapon or improved throwings or a different 1h (mace or axe), something like that.

The menavalion infantry doesnt have a 1h weapon though.

Back
Top Bottom