Version number
v1.1.3
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

CzlowiekKot

Recruit
Summary: Siege camps have a huge advantage in simulated battles. When fought personally these battles can be won without big losses. When simulated after enemy retreat the enemy has a huge unrealistic advantage in simulation. Identical battle in the field would have produced much more realistic results. In this case 400 vs 1000 manages to kill 700 of my troops. All enemy lords have tactics skill in 60-160 range, I have 163, but they are all unconscious anyway. 100% difficulty settings, no hero deaths. This is maybe 4th such situation in my current campaign playthrough. Maybe siege camps are given the defence bonus the settlement is supposed to have? Other people say sieges end too quickly and besiegers always win.
How to Reproduce:
1. Assault enemy siege camp on my settlement from outside.
2. Defeat most of their quality troops untill they retreat. Also fall unconscious so another battle can't be fought personally.
3. Send troops to simulated battle.
Have you used cheats and if so which: nope
Media

My only observation on this is that until recently I felt garrison troops had too much of a bonus, presumably from fortification bonus. However, more recently (maybe the last month or so?) garrison troops seem more whet the should be. However, militia troops are basically worthless. At best they fight at peasant level. If I am besieging a castle that has 400 militia (only) I might lose 4 troops while they lose all 400. I suspect the fortification bonus has been removed from sieges. If so, my thoughts are that it should lightly apply to garrison troops and apply the same it used to for militia (either that or simply make militia stronger). I'm not referring to auto-resolve though, I rarely auto-resolve.

I did one more thing. I allowed the army from the screenshots above to capture my town, and then I attacked.

It's basically the same battle, in fact they are a little stronger and now they only kill 210 of my troops which makes more sense than 721.
Btw, is tactics skill applied when lords are wounded? One of their lords Zuad regenerated to 30% hp, from perk I assume, and has 75 tactics, if that matters.
Someone says that tactics skill multiplies damage by 100x, so maybe that's what's happening:

Also in that thread someone else says that garrisons have 0 tactics skill. In my first screenshots you can see that the top party is Militia of Epicrotea. In my second set of screenshots you can see that Zuad the only conscious enemy lord is shown on top. So maybe siege camp battles never apply tactics skill for defenders, because the militia is considered the commander? idk if this makes sense.

I also want to add on that this problem may also be why it seems (since 1.1.0) that AI parties do not try to stop besiegers often. If the camp is given a auto calc advantage (possibly because they posses siege weapons?) in field battle then the AI knows this and wouldn't attack, just like if the party was much more powerful.

Yah autocalc been horrible last month or so, I see that on the thread about "defending a village" it was a bug and its been fixed for the future(just now).

I've had to stop autocalc at all the last month or so, or the losses would be unacceptable.
The problem with the game is how you either stay out of combat for your faction - and loose the wars(which meants tribute to them + new fiefs to them) - or you go hands on and fight so many times a day that is obnoxious.

Same problem in the current game I'm in. I own Diathma, Amitatys, Onica Castle, Ataconia Castle, Rhesos Castle, & a few others. I'm with the Southern Empire & my holdings are pretty much all of our Western border. So basically, we are at war with Khuzaits or Aeserai on the east and the Western Empire, Battaneans, & Northern Empire on the West. Occasionally the Aeserai will try to sneak something in on the West also since they hold Ortysia. Typically we have one or two armies on the east and my army on the west. Although I have other lords in my army, there is never a second army helping me out. If I just finished defending Rhesos Catle I'm lucky if I can get to Diathma to drop off prisoners & supplies before the next attack and if I defend at Ataconia Castle I'm lucky to get to Amitatys before the next attack. At one point I had defended 3 or 4 times without having time to get to a town and when I got to the town I had over 1500 food. Typically I try to keep 500-550 on hand. The point is that I'm constantly running from one battle to another. I have a hard time maintaining my party's troops, let alone the other two family member parties with me. I think at the moment one of them has 8 troops. I tend to supplement my army with a few AI lords that I replace with others when they drop below 50 troops in their party. They mostly last for 2-3 battles.

Its rather ridiculous. Twice so far the Battaneans have declared war on us and made a few attacks on Rhesos Castle with armies of 800-1000. This is stupid because they don't have any borders with us, their closest holding is Seonon, and Rhesos Castle has something like 250 troops defending it. 250 isn't a strong defense, but it really isn't weak either. There's probably at least 1/2 a dozen other holdings closer to them with less defense. I think the AI just plain decided me fighting with just my army against the Northern Empire, Western Empire, and occasionally the Aeserai just isn't enough so they had to add another opponent. There's no other logical reason for it.

We have a fix for the simulation battles in the works. We believe that this issue will be fixed with that fix. We hope to push it to the game with the next hotfix. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom