Sid Meier warns the games industry about monetisation

Users who are viewing this thread

Horked

I understand that this isnt an actual BL topic but I feel its very related and Id like people to read it, its a good interesting (despite being from the BBC hehe) article that explains very well what many of us think is one of the main problems with the industry in 2022.

inb4
This isnt meant to be a poke at TW at all. I think TW is one of the good guys in this particular regard

Last edited:
... I think TW is one of the good guys in this particular regard

I'm expecting those skins in MP to eventually be monetized with ingame currency. I see no other explanation for making us grind for skins (alot of those skins currently found in SP) with gold and the focus on the class system.

I'm expecting those skins in MP to eventually be monetized with ingame currency. I see no other explanation for making us grind for skins (alot of those skins currently found in SP) with gold and the focus on the class system.
Considering how dead MP is I don't see that as a good money maker for them.

I think TW is one of the good guys in this particular regard
i don't agree with your assessment.

by "good guy" i think you mean they are not actively putting out dlc after dlc, or skin packs or treasure chests or pay to win systems. sure.

but Bannerlord has been in early release for 2 years. anyone with eyes can see that the moment the money got to their pockets, they stopped really working or caring about the project.

Frankly i think this is worse. i'd rather have a complete bannerlord game with 10 dlcs and 100 skin packs that costs $1000, than the "progress" we've had in the last 2 years. because the devs are literally killing their game before it comes out of ER

Creative Assembly use to create "quality"??? historic war games but then realised more $$$$$ could be made selling out to kiddy console gamers.. ..

Hope TW doesn't go down that path.

but Bannerlord has been in early release for 2 years. anyone with eyes can see that the moment the money got to their pockets, they stopped really working or caring about the project.
As much time as it took them to get to this point, do you really think they slowed down? Hasn't it taken over a decade to even get to this point?

I've done a ton of sh!t posting in the past, but I'm actually serious about that.

I'm thankful for this incomplete game, it's still more fun than anything else I've played since it came out. I just hope I'm still physically able to play when it is finally complete, though.

As much time as it took them to get to this point, do you really think they slowed down? Hasn't it taken over a decade to even get to this point?

I've done a ton of sh!t posting in the past, but I'm actually serious about that.

I'm thankful for this incomplete game, it's still more fun than anything else I've played since it came out. I just hope I'm still physically able to play when it is finally complete, though.
Thats it, also it is obvisouly incomplete it is also for me the most gamefun last years. Sure that is also a bit sad...

stop simping over incompetence and have some standards. your low expectations and willing payments are the reason games nowadays come out incomplete
i can have a lot of fun playing mud i mad in the dirt with my own piss doesn't make it anything more than dirt and piss. it's precisely because it's fun and we the player base see it's potential and how TW is squandering it and killing their own game. that's what we are mad about. they are killing their own game by keeping it in ER.
i would have doubled my staff with the influx of cash from the release and finished the game + 2 dlc by now if i was running the company but that's none of my business now is it?

stop simping over incompetence and have some standards. your low expectations and willing payments are the reason games nowadays come out incomplete
i can have a lot of fun playing mud i mad in the dirt with my own piss doesn't make it anything more than dirt and piss. it's precisely because it's fun and we the player base see it's potential and how TW is squandering it and killing their own game. that's what we are mad about. they are killing their own game by keeping it in ER.
i would have doubled my staff with the influx of cash from the release and finished the game + 2 dlc by now if i was running the company but that's none of my business now is it?

You have heard of Brookes law no? More coding monkeys thrown at a software project does not equal better/faster product

Now had they told us "Yes yes!! We have all of those things planned and more we just simply dont have the resources to get it all done right away!" -then yes, this sounds like a Development crew that may be under-manned but brimming with promise of future things.

We get nothing like that IMO, more like a defeated "Yeah good ideas guys BUT I mentioned in the last boardroom Zoom meeting and they all said NO."

More coding monkeys thrown at a software project does not equal better/faster product
depends on the leadership really, numbers mean nothing without quality leadership in any situation. not just coding. i thought as a bannerlord player you would know that ... elite coders that integrate well and elevate the overall performance of a team costs bucks. which they obviously didn't want to dish out, don't use expendable junior devs as a baseline for your hiring process lol
"Yeah good ideas guys BUT I mentioned in the last boardroom Zoom meeting and they all said NO."
sounds like people who don't care about the project anymore and should have been fired a long time ago. replaced with new passionate recruits.
anytime a "no" is uttered, it should have been followed by more than just why it wouldn't work but also a better idea that would

numbers mean nothing without quality leadership in any situation. not just coding. i thought as a bannerlord player you would know that ...
If you're familiar with my recent posts on these forums within the last day i pinpointed almost all the blame here on the Main Guy. Of course i know its not "just about coding" -its about the overall vision, and the willingness and drive to see that vision materialize. I question both Vision and Effort here at all levels. But merely adding "Elite Coders" dont mean jack if the above isnt firmly in place.

Edit: Wanted to clarify on Effort. Im not here to bash the developers that TW hired to do their jobs -im sure they've done their best to achieve what top management ordered. I question Top Managements desire and Effort to deliver a game even close to the one they presented in leadup Dev blogs and longterm fanbase desires and requests as opposed to "Console Ready"

Last edited:
I spent a ton of money on a new computer to play Cyberpunk and ended not buying it (and still havent) due to early reviews. Hell, I remebr getting wood from the first teaser of Duke Nukem Forever and never purchasing it due to reviews.

M&B and then Warband are the reason I bought the EA for Bannerlord. I'm old, my tastes or purchasing habits aren't having any impact on the gaming industry. Bannerlord is the only game I've played for more than 10 hours since it was released. I enjoy it but I understand the criticism. I do get a ton of enjoyment watching people complain though. I like watching you guys bang your head against the wall repeatedly while you expect a different outcome. If I dislike a game and it never gets a second thought or another penny from me.

I'll pre-order their space game that I'll never play just to p!ss you off.

I also pre-ordered Victrix Norman Cavalry that cost me more than this game.

I'll be painting them while you are crying about not having fun. Then maybe I'll play a little Bannerlord this weekend and enjoy myself.

I spent a ton of money on a new computer to play Cyberpunk and ended not buying it (and still havent) due to early reviews. Hell, I remebr getting wood from the first teaser of Duke Nukem Forever and never purchasing it due to reviews.

M&B and then Warband are the reason I bought the EA for Bannerlord. I'm old, my tastes or purchasing habits aren't having any impact on the gaming industry. Bannerlord is the only game I've played for more than 10 hours since it was released. I enjoy it but I understand the criticism. I do get a ton of enjoyment watching people complain though. I like watching you guys bang your head against the wall repeatedly while you expect a different outcome. If I dislike a game and it never gets a second thought or another penny from me.

I'll pre-order their space game that I'll never play just to p!ss you off.

I also pre-ordered Victrix Norman Cavalry that cost me more than this game.

I'll be painting them while you are crying about not having fun. Then maybe I'll play a little Bannerlord this weekend and enjoy myself.
lol this guy eats being miserable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What a sad life lol.

lol this guy eats being miserable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What a sad life lol.
I enjoy my life, everyone else here seems miserable. I don't do it if I don't enjoy it. I truly enjoy this game and I'm excited about the mods that develop after a stable release. I play a few times a week after every few releases. 1.71 has been the most enjoyable one for me so far, though.

Oddly enough misery in others over stupid istuff amuses me, though.

I dont understand why people who truly hate this game don't just move on.

Back
Top Bottom