Shield weight and armor values

Users who are viewing this thread

csk1d

Recruit
I don't understand why some shields despite being larger, have lower weight than small shields, for example Northern Round Shield is 3.3 in weight, but a much smaller Adarga or Southern Round Shield weighted 7.3, and having lower stat in nearly every aspect. While Reinforced Kite shield having 4.7 in weight despite being similar in size to the Northern Round Shield, and the problem is: Adarga or Southern Round Shield doesn't even have reinforcing metal and is overwhelming heavy compared to all other shields, are they made of Lignum vitae?

Also, I don't quite get the point why Northern Ring Barding are like top tier barding despite the fact that large metal rings does not provide a very good protection.

And the shoulder armor for Imperial cataphracts provides huge amount of body armor despite being entirely shoulder armor, which makes entirely no sense at all.

The values for many items are simply unbalanced. It's something TW will have to go through and meticulously rebalance. But it's not a critical thing, so they focus on more important things for now, like crashes, performance and gamebreaking bugs. This sort of thing can also be (And in some cases, already is) fixed by mods for the time being.

Values on armor and weapons are completely all over the place, don't rely on them for now; they're probably temporary placeholders so faction troops can have a semblance of balance. I've seen ****ty wrapped shoes at a mind blowing 17 leg armor outclassing high quality cavalier boots, those dirt-cheap patchy leather armbands with a piece of iron (you know the ones) at the top of the food chain with 30 arm armor (only very expensive plate gauntlets surpasses them at 32 armor), I've seen the heavy vlandian lance at 39 pierce damage, 198 reach, with excellent speed and handling (and 220 cost!) compete with a (admittedly really good looking) uncouchable spear at 32 pierce damage, 228 reach (feels much lower than that), mediocre speed and handling ...and a 5500 cost. And don't get me started on civilian clothing, lol, or horse armor, or capes/shoulder pads, or indeed : shields.

At the end of the day, it's just a numbers game and it should be a straightforward fix once they get their minds to it, but since not all items are included right now, and changing things too much with every update might really screw with faction balance at a time when taking care of snowballing and overall flow seems to take higher priority, we'll just have to deal with it.

We should still keep tabs on it, though.

On the subject of shields, imagine my disappointment when I discovered my beloved decorated oval shield was in every way inferior to a much, much more ...rustic looking oval-shaped piece of plywood. And that piece of plywood, with its paint chipping off and no metal reinforcement besides a rusty battered shield boss in it's center, cost about 3x more. I kept the decorated oval shield by the way, I'm nothing if not a man of culture.

I don't think shield size or weight is actually working or factored into combat at this point. In Viking Conquest I can feel how a heavier or lighter shield effects the speed at which I can block. I can't feel it at all in Bannerlord. The lightest shields in Bannerlord feel exactly the same as the heaviest. I'm also fairly certain the physical length and width of the shield doesn't matter either as they all seem to have the same hitbox as far as blocking incoming strikes and arrows.

In addition I'm fairly certain the total weight of weapons and armor on our character and companions currently have zero effect on how fast we run or how fast or agile our horses are in combat. Seems the only thing that matters is our skill points into endurance(foot and mounted).

They actually have that in now? I haven't seen it happen once in my game. Used to happen quite regularly in M&B:VC. Nothing more terrifying than a gang of 2h-axe wielding Berserkers smashing your sheild as youre trying to backpedal away from them. fun tho, in a weird way.

Hitboxes are larger that visible modes, but do differ and as for shelds breaking they do break, but have a load of hit points. There are mods that allow you to set multipliers for damage dealt to shields and I definitely recommend using them until the devs start thinking about balance.

heavy executioner axe has a lot of broken shield under its belt, but also gotten mine destroyed too, in a few tourneys when I was very low level two handed pole arm and had to fight a lord which was at like 200 polearm. It was not a fun fight. But they mostly survive if you dont get gangbanged by 4+ units and get stuck in a corner when besieging.

Back
Top Bottom