SP - General Armor Crafting. Is that ever happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dougie D

Recruit
I would really, REALLY, like to be able to craft my own armor and helmets (and maybe shields and bows, too).
Example:
- chestpiece: player would choose underarmor (mail shirt, hauberk, aketon, doublet, etc.), then the armor to go over it (lamellar, plate, brigandine, scale, etc.), if any, and maybe a decorative element (such a hunting horn, sheathed knife/dagger (as seen in loading screen art), sash around the waist, belts + pouches, etc.).
- shoulder: player would choose neck armor (such as neck guard or gorget), if any, shoulder armor (such as pauldron, single or double), and decorative elements (such as cloaks, shawls and scarves over the armor, etc.)
Personally, I'd kill for the option to build my own shoulder armor with a small lamellar pauldron on my left arm, a shawl to go over or under it, and a leather or metal piece of armor (such as the one in the Battanian Tartan Shoulder Harness) bearing my clan's sigil on the right arm.

- arms: player would choose a glove model (or none) and armor (bracer/vambraces and such).
- legs: player would choose a 'boot/shoe' model (such as mail chausses, leather boots, leggings, hoses, etc.), as well as (an) armor reinforcement(s).

Pair that with the option to change the metals, leather, and cloth types (textures) for each piece, as well the option to use worn textures and pieces (to simulate battle damage), and this could be a very robust customization system for the game, and would pair very well with the Smithing mechanic already in the game.
Maybe also with the option to resize items, same as during weaponsmithing. Some helmets look comically large and look like they'd ratlle around over your head like a bucket, while others (such as the Sturgian Closed Warlord Helmet, or Vlandian Closed Knight Helmet) look like they'd be biting into skin and squeezing your skull, while some chestpieces look too big, others too small.

And by the way, Smithing could definitely use a rework. It takes too damn long to unlock certain pieces, and a lot of them aren't actual improvements over previous items, they just increase the difficulty of smithing the piece for the sake of it. Also, I've smithed God knows how many pieces, and I don't think I've ever gotten a "mastercrafted" or "fine" item with the perks.

It takes too damn long to unlock certain pieces, and a lot of them aren't actual improvements over previous items, they just increase the difficulty of smithing the piece for the sake of it.
I really wish the guards and pommels for swords were discovered 5 or 10 at a time, and yeah: they mostly seem decorative with the same stats. I was honestly disappointed when they added a bunch of extra sword parts to the (axes? maces?). At the very least let us "discover" all the versions of the same thing... I know how to put that exact same piece on something else... why not to this other base item? (In my latest playthrough I knew every piece for the 2 handed swords category, but kept "learning" two-handed hilts for 1 handed swords :facepalm: )

As for the armor, shield, and bow crafting: I always assumed it was on the way and the smithing system was not yet complete... is this not something the developers are already considering or working on?

Yes, I think your idea is very good! (y)

Granted, all the current shields in the game are wooden, so maybe woodworking could be a separate skill for bows and shields. Adding a third skill for clothes and leather armors seems a bit much :???:.In my mind this is starting to approach critical mass: too many mini-games like in the Novas Aetas warband mod.

As for the armor, shield, and bow crafting: I always assumed it was on the way and the smithing system was not yet complete... is this not something the developers are already considering or working on?
I would really, REALLY, like to be able to craft my own armor and helmets (and maybe shields and bows, too).
We currently don't have any plans to add the ability to craft armor. If you take a look at our modding documentation (WEAPON SMITHING & CRAFTING PIECES) you can learn a bit more about how the existing system works, but essentially - it requires individual weapon parts which are then in-game combined together. Should we choose to do the same for armor, then all/most of the existing armor pieces would need to be redone.

We currently don't have any plans to add the ability to craft armor. If you take a look at our modding documentation (WEAPON SMITHING & CRAFTING PIECES) you can learn a bit more about how the existing system works, but essentially - it requires individual weapon parts which are then in-game combined together. Should we choose to do the same for armor, then all/most of the existing armor pieces would need to be redone.
I will come do the work needed to make this happen at 1/2 the cost of the guy in charge as long as I'm trained to do so h3ll if you let me throw in a few changes/ideas ill do it for free shiiiiii. I'm fan of warband/bannerlord and want to see it be the game we all know it can be. Anything is possible. I mean look at Skyrim and then who it came from. Skyrim imo is #1 game and warband & bannerlord duking it out for #1.5. please don't settle for anything less then greatness with this one. This game is a gold mine with gems within just gotta keep digging til you get it just right 🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽

all/most of the existing armor pieces would need to be redone.
This sounds like it would be good fodder for modders! :cool:

My favorite warband mods all had completely new armors. If I come across any mods with all new armors that did not implement them in a way to also have armor crafting: I will wag my finger at them :lol:

Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom