Roads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Grimmend said:
Grimmend's road level system idea

lv 0 no 'road'
lv 1 dirt road 5% speed(cost varies by distance, only able to connect adjacent settlements/nearest city)
lv 1.5 once two cities/city and castle are connected, patrols can be hired to keep them safe, troops are chosen from the garrison, and x3 to wages, patrols occur at dawn and dusk, max of three per city, 1 per castle.
lv 2 paved road 10% speed(same equation as dirt)
lv 2.5 roadside inn (City-City road only) makes safe place for caravans under bandit threat. High maintenacne for secure trade.
lv 3 Great Calradian Road(?) City to City only 15% speed(same equation as dirt)
lv 3.5 Patrol towers (patrol equation, except constant patrols, max of 5 per city, and three per castle)
This will do. +1 for the list, +1 for patrols, +1 for roadside inn.  :mrgreen:
Very good ideas.

Perhaps the roads will go up in down in quality based on the prosperity of the cities it runs between, and in addition to that, you can pay to have it upgraded yourself, sort of like donating goods to a fief so they can trade.

Vilhjalmr said:
Roads would

a) Sometimes be included in the battle map. (Like rivers)

b) Increase speed greatly.

c) Reduce spotting almost down to zero. (Ambushes anyone?    :twisted: )

A) That would be good, more realistic
B) Not that fast, say Caverans  go 4.1 speed, they could go 4.6 speeds
C) Well if there was forests then probably 0.5 spotting but if there wasn't forests then no difference because you can see open land

Great post!
Thanks Hieronymous for the bullets!

If there are roads, then the king can send patrols to guards no only the caravans, but the road itself. Because if they add roads, all the caravans have to use them, if that happens, the roads are going to be busy all the time. Imagine all the caravans that exist in the game now, and put them all in line.

The roads are probably going from village to village. You cant go from one city to another directly, you have to go thru the villages, at least caravans should.

Maybe you can leave soldiers at a point in the road and tell them to attack every caravan that passes. You control the roads, you control the world.

There should be control-points in the map (building on the road) that you can control, so every caravan that passes has to pay or something. As a king i want to know who enters my kingdom.

I think roads, would be an good addition to the game.
Brings more realism, as the author says, all cities etc. are lost in the wilderness.

And i could imagine this happening:

A caravan, with expensive goods, is heading for Tulga, the road is long and hard, but they got plenty of food and drinks.
After a 3 days trip, they begin to see Tulga, but first the road goes through a forest, and they don't got time, to take another way around it.
While being very carefull, they slowly get closer to the end of the forest.
but suddenly, an arrow hits the Caravan Master seriously injuring him.
It's an bandit attack, arrows is raining upon the guards of the Caravan, their cavalry is no use to chase the archers, through the trees.
As they dismount their horses, bandits charge them, taking all the survivors as prisoners, and capturing all their valuables.

That could be an cool option.. Imagine if you actually had the chance, of being Caravan Master too.
See that good be awesome and an good way to earn money in the game :smile:

Don't some cities in Warband have roads on the world map? I've noticed some parts near the Yalen cliffs that has thin brown lines. These may be roads, but doesn't seem to give any movement bonus whatsoever. So, I wholeheartedly agree on this one. They have to have roads in the next game, or maybe in Fire and Sword's next patch.

i noticed while i was still just an adventurer traveling around the rhodok mountains that there were small brown lines near serindiar, but they faded away once you got far away from serindiar, whenever i ordered my men to travel there, they would travel too the brown line then towards serindiar, but didnt really do anything.

roads are a good idea

Roads make sense but considering the political structure and make up of the kingdoms you are in... roads aren't exactly the top of the priority list when it comes to things to do.

However it would make sense if that you could start the construction of roads between two cities which were owned by the same faction. this would also require the working time of about 2 weeks for a dirt road and upwards for more, considering distances too.

If there was an added difficulty in creating these roads then their existence would be of a great benefit due to their rarity. One consequence of roads within a kingdom would be that caravan trade would increase due to speed and more so safety as patrolling would now require back and forth movements by the AI to protect the roads as caravans will take those routes only. If we look to M&B:WF&S cities spawn patrolling units to patrol around a town. This could be used, and control given to how many patrol using different methods and the size of the groups.
Scouts can handle the intelligence gatherings of the country land so bandits would still be there but as less profit can be gained there would be less in a kingdom with roads. However there would be less frequent but larger groups of troops like deserters who had the numbers to break the protection.

I really think roads have potential.

Considering mobility they could cancel out the effect of forests and increase the general speed of travel with no dumb ass AI heading strait for a river and then flowing that river to a bridge.

They can also play a key tactical role in warfare, playing a key role in the economic crippling of an enemy nation.

If the maintenance of the enemies armies relied on the roads which increased trade and lowered bandit attacks then damage could be done to them, as well as raiding. A sudden shock could be imposed on an enemy who's coffers suddenly goes into the red due to their trade system being broken open.
Therefore to protect roads is a key priority for the player and AI lest they quickly lose money.

Still attacking roads would therefore have its disadvantages. It could be viewed as the pacification period for new settlements when bandits are roaming free with no roads in place and they need to be built... but only because you have destroyed them.
This creates choices and decisions for the player. Will they cripple the enemy and conquer a land in ruins or conquer a rich province which they can almost pick up and go with. They could go half and half and leave the roads, but not let any trade exist, letting it walk along a pre-determined path of death.

I am new, and I recognise this... I am ambitious with my ideas but have no clue to implement them.

Edit: I am doing some more work on possible background theory for the roads. If anyone feels like they are a capable modder and feel like a challenge try turning what I am dreaming up into reality :razz:

|1|Construction:|1|
Roads can be built between two settlements.
The very first roads would require to be between Town and Town.

The Levels of road would be as follows:

Dirt Track road - Defining and digging worn tracks in the earth which aid navigation and path finding from location X to location Y. Forests have had trees cut down.
Effects: 5% speed increase through normal terrain. Effect of forests are reduced by 50%. Caravans follow roads.
Build Cost: X
Maintenance cost: X/100 per week.
Built Time: 14 days (assuming work is not interrupted)
100% Repair Cost: (X * (1/4))/100 + 2 hours - per 1% damage

Upgrade to:

Cobble Stone Roads - A large project to create a solid track from location to location which greatly aids to the speed of travel. Forests have been cleared on either side.
Effects: 25% Speed increase through normal terrain. Effect of forests are reduced by 100%. Caravans follow roads.
Build Cost: 3X
Maintenance cost: 3X/100 per week.
Built Time: 30 days (assuming work is not interrupted)
100% Repair Cost: (3X * (1/4))/100 + 4 hours - per 1% damage

Upgrade to:

Paved Road Highways - Not since ancient Empires long-gone have such flat stone highways been constructed to link cities together. Optimum travelling speed is allowed for Soldiers and all others which the wide roads allow for.
Effects: 50% Speed increase on the highways. Caravans follow the highways.
Build Cost: 10X
Maintenance cost: 10X/100 per week.
Built Time: 90 days (assuming work is not interrupted)
100% Repair Cost: (10X * (1/4))/100 + 8 hours - per 1% damage

Damage Penalties - When a road is damaged it will suffer a penalty directly relating to the percentage of damage it has received.
Upon 100% damage the road is useless and must be fully repaired before the effects are felt again.

If a road has 100% damage for 30 days then the road will deteriorate to the level of road below it, if a dirt track, the road will vanish.

|2|Economy:|2|

Working on it.

Also there should be the inclusion of Bridges in the battle field. The river where the Bridges take is too deep to cross. Bridge Battle can offer new challenges. Who ever controls the bridge controls the battle.

Federick421 said:
Also there should be the inclusion of Bridges in the battle field. The river where the Bridges take is too deep to cross. Bridge Battle can offer new challenges. Who ever controls the bridge controls the battle.
The Eagle and the Radiant Cross mod had good bridges if I recall correctly.

The Calradic Empire was pseudo-Roman, right? How about some Roman-style roads connecting specific cities all over Calradia (perhaps even extending off map past an invisible wall or something) with smaller dirt paths linking settlements within particular kingdoms?

Roads should be like buildings, in that the lord of a settlement can upgrade them with money. The roads would be placed at the start of the game to make set routes. There would be different levels of road quality, eventually having periodic guard posts to protect your precious commodities in transport. It would be interesting to have different types of roads, such as highways promoting army travel but being more dangerous than the others. With enough tracking skill, you would be able to see trade routes by hovering over a road, and you would have the option to raid a trade route, acting as a highwayman for a period of time, similarly to raiding a settlement.

Back
Top Bottom