Roads?

Users who are viewing this thread

How about little paths that run from the villages to the big cities, and paved roads, like medieval highways, that run from city to city? 

Is anything happening with this?  I think it would be a great idea.  I'm no programmer, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to implement. 

It's settled then. somone other than me should start devlopment right away.

Just a question, will there be toll booth's ?

No, they aren't purely cosmetic, actually. However, they aren't fully functional, either. If you are near a road and click some distance away on the world map, your party may try to follow the road. But sometimes they go in the opposite direction. Looks to be a work in progress. Also, if you are on a road through the woods, you do not lose map speed.

Roads are faster terrain, and they're trying to get parties to travel by the fastest route = roads. Seems to be a hassle using terrain as a road and it leads to the 'stuck' bug (party gets stuck on the 'road'), although it's probably easy to get parties to follow it than using an overlay. They need to designate a texture specifically for roads, as currently it uses the steppe terrain.

I know i'm necromancing, but i suppose it is still better than to start a new thread on this idea and as far i can tell, there doesn't seem to be an active or less dusted thread around here in the forum on the topic.

the idea of roads came to me when i thought about being able to ambush enemy war-parties or caravans. but the problem would be, that since they don't follow a specific route it would be quite hard / take ages untill one actually runs into the trap.

as has been disscused here before, roads should mainly be used by official travelers (caravans, lords not in hostile territory, peasants) and grant the user a bonus on speed so that there is an actual reason as to why to use such a route where one is prone to be prayed upon by bandits and the likes. there should be different types of roads though, with the ones coming from villages being mere trample-paths, while very important routes between major cities have cobblestoned roads or even military roads.

concerning the ambush-idea: i thought, that one could camp anywhere on the map and select prepare an ambush (chances of a victim would be higher on roads). it will then take some hours to do so, depending on ones own tactics skill (or pathfinding?) and the amount of troops in the army (more troops = more time). once the ambush is ready any passing army/caravan can be assaulted (optional, you may choose to wait for a more worthy or less dangerous target), but if your own (tactics/pathfinding?) skill is too low and the enemys (tracking/spotting?) skill is high enough you will be seen, the ambush fails and you get involved into a standard battle (unless the enemy chooses not to engage). should the ambush succeed though,  the enemy forces will start the battle in very bad terrain conditions (in a valley or at a rivercrossing etc) and with their troops in marching formation (or just in bad order), while your own soldiers are placed at a highpoint relatively close to the enemys army (here it would be good, if one could choose what troops to deploy, in which formation and where exactly on the battlefield as the ambush would otherwise have a less devestating effect on the enemy) and a tactical advantage of +10 (or a number that makes an enemy with twice the numbers fight with equal odds). after the battle the player enters travel-mode again and another ambush cannot be prepared in the vicinity of the battlefield for several hours.

another idea i had, which is too small to start a new thread on:
one could be able to search battlefields of others for loot (as everyone knows they are marked as an x on the world-map, if one has the tracking skill) - there is always stuff left behind or forgotten by the victor (equipment or even wounded enemy soldiers left for dead). of course that would come at a price and one would loose honour (vulturing is just not known as a noble deed).

You can script parties to follow certain routes, by making a waypoint system, and waypoint route associated with each oair of centers. Then a simple enough trigger can check for the party if it's in travel mode (so it would want to use roads aka waypoints) and if it reached next waypoint (then switch destination party to next waypoint in a route). Then place waypoint parties so that they are aligned with roads and you are set

as for searching battlefields, done in Rus XIII mod. Pretty straightforward to script too, though encounter with battlefield party

killer rat said:
And when your in the battle map and have attacked a caravan, the caravan wagons are on the road and the troops are defending the caravans and you have to ride over to them and kill them then take the caravan wagons

how that!!

THATS ASOME!!!

________
killer rat

Ashram said:
It seems a bit weird that the cities are lost in the wilderness w/o any road to connect them together. In my ver humble opinion (:razz:), I think there should be roads between cities, that regular caravanes, paysants and normal people would follow, leaving going astary to military bands patrolling, bandits, etc. That would help choose the targets of opportunity, too: bandits would be more likely to attack the roads, since that's where the caravanes are, and if you away, you wouldn't know what you'd fall on. Could also have a small speed bonus while traveling on roads.

(love these things...)
dumbledore.gif

Like the idea, i'm surprised I haven't seen it before and it actually provides a strategic aspect to travel.

Quick summary of IMO the best suggestions on this thread and some new ideas.

--The roads seem to be only partly implemented (1.132)--

* Colour Roads and Tracks (Grey and Brown) - Speeds slightly different?

* 'Stick to or avoid roads when travelling' button/toggle

* Slow travel over other terrain to increase road travel relatively

*' Set ambush' option for camp menu

* Trees (Especially non-cavalry) makes you less 'spottable'

* Road(s) on battle map +(Caravan defence scenario?)

* Also Bridges on battle map?

* Burnable/Repairable Bridges? (Drop off some villagers and use Engineer skill to repair?)

* New Map Objects/Locations?
    (Abandoned tower/Ruined Keep - need Engineer to repair or infested with bandits or 
    both, Inns - Tavern+Horse Seller, Toll-Gates - good for mountain passes & bridges,
    etc...)

* Garrison villages option? Need watchtower? Only 30 or so troops?

---Other stuff i don't know where to post!----

* Why does the compass overlay the messages - Put it in the top right corner PLS! :grin:

* Cursor reports on the (estimated) distance and time to reach points on map - bottom right of the map screen perhaps?

* Siege mini-game (see Defender Of The Crown :smile: - Amiga? and PC)
  Create breaches and destroy gates and troops.
  Set amount of ammo? (engineer skills all the way)

* Rivers seem aimless - they don't start in mountains, they don't flow through cities..

* More special characters in hidden/quest locations. Defeat them, help them.. gain knowledge or receive unique artifact?

* AI Tweaks - Jousters mount unused horses in Arena. (give lance AND throwing knives?)
  also - Short sword for archers?

* Mounted enemies could jump fences?

Sorry such a long post. Many more ideas tho....  :grin:
Thanks for bothering!

Ps - Dense text really tricky to bother reading?

* Try bullet points!
:smile:

Maybe roads could be an improvement. Beaten dirt roads can already be there but stone roads could be made by your order. Go to a town you own and say *Build road to...* Hows that?

Pretty sure there are dirt roads already, though you have to be persistant in making sure your party stays on it, and they seem to start and finish in fairly useless places. It probably wouldnt be hard to add paved roads also, which provide a greater speed boost

Hey, developers, please notice this superb thread!  :smile:
The map needs more work.
I would love it if villages were surrounded by fields and orchards on the world. It would make the map more interesting to travel through.
Villages need more functionality. Why not, if one becomes a land owner in Nord territory, have them grow flax? Huge profit margins to be had!

These new roads could also bring about a new system of travelling: By Caravan. Almost exactly like how you arrive in Calradia, you go to a town, and in the menu, you have the option on "use the caravan service". By choosing this, it gives you the option to travel via guarded caravan to another city, but at a price. However, to ensure it isn't used as some sort of "fast travel" option, perhaps it would be nice if you viewed the caravan move across the map, with the ability to be attacked by bandits or any other party that wants he caravan dead.

Also, I'm fully aware of the possibility of this idea existing in this very thread already, but I am in too much of a rush to check.

Marauder8 said:
These new roads could also bring about a new system of travelling: By Caravan. Almost exactly like how you arrive in Calradia, you go to a town, and in the menu, you have the option on "use the caravan service". By choosing this, it gives you the option to travel via guarded caravan to another city, but at a price. However, to ensure it isn't used as some sort of "fast travel" option, perhaps it would be nice if you viewed the caravan move across the map, with the ability to be attacked by bandits or any other party that wants he caravan dead.

Also, I'm fully aware of the possibility of this idea existing in this very thread already, but I am in too much of a rush to check.
I like this idea.

Mondo said:
Would add more to the game. Start with dirt roads and then have a few upgrades.
This to.

Grimmend's road level system idea

lv 0 no 'road'
lv 1 dirt road 5% speed(cost varies by distance, only able to connect adjacent settlements/nearest city)
lv 1.5 once two cities/city and castle are connected, patrols can be hired to keep them safe, troops are chosen from the garrison, and x3 to wages, patrols occur at dawn and dusk, max of three per city, 1 per castle.
lv 2 paved road 10% speed(same equation as dirt)
lv 2.5 roadside inn (City-City road only) makes safe place for caravans under bandit threat. High maintenacne for secure trade.
lv 3 Great Calradian Road(?) City to City only 15% speed(same equation as dirt)
lv 3.5 Patrol towers (patrol equation, except constant patrols, max of 5 per city, and three per castle)

Back
Top Bottom