Rifles vs Pistols

Users who are viewing this thread

Tzsak

Sergeant at Arms
I'm having trouble working out why I'd use a rifle. With firearms I find the most important thing to be reload time. Here, pistols are better. Rifles are better in terms of damage but I one hit kill pretty much anyone with a flintlock pistol anyway. Furthermore, with a pistol you can use a shield! I'm pretty sure the accuracy is the same for the two.

Could someone suggest why I'd use a rifle? If not, I'd suggest increasing accuracy on the rifles (makes sense to me).

Good Question. I suppose for me it was to fit in with my troops  :grin:. Anyway, the pistol is a two-shot kill in the earlier levels, where-as the rifle is usually a one-shot kill. In later levels though, I'd have to ask you if you'd rather have -

Pistol /w shield.
Rifles with 4 simultaneous shots (Repeater Gun.)

On another note, I believe the range of the pistol is less than the rifle, and if not, should be.

Keep in mind the variety of rifles.

Arquebusier(standard rifle...)
Those... other rifle thinige(Slightly better standard rifle)
And the fun ones:
You have the double barreled rifle (75 accuracy, more than the pistol, noticeably so)
Doomsday cannon(Hand cannon) (Sorta more accurate... and you can take out ~9 people at once if you do it right)
The four barreled repeater rifle like the guy above mentioned. (Its also much more accurate than the pistol and has a shorter reload time than pistols per shot)

Rifles look more cool. Pistols are only for those pesky bandits. You don't want to be the pesky bandit though, you want to be the cool kid :smile:

Dirk said:
The four barreled repeater rifle like the guy above mentioned. (Its also much more accurate than the pistol and has a shorter reload time than pistols per shot)

Is it possible to get those in shops? I'm at 90 or so days in game and still haven't seen one.

Multi-shot rifles allow for increased volume of fire.  Although they have a slower reload, in the same amount of time you get more shots off.

When the accuracy isn't actually better, you one hit kill anyway, and you reload quicker?

Pistols are superior to arquebus, blunderbuss, etc.

1) They are cheaper
2) They are 1-handed and can be used with a shield
3) They have a quicker reload time
4) Damage isn't an issue since at a certain point you'll be getting one-hit kills anyways.
5) Accuracy isn't noticeable, especially when offset by a quick reload.

I always feel like I'm cheating when I use the hand cannon, so I like to stay away from that, so compared to all of the regular guns, the pistol is very good.

AvaRice said:

1) They are cheaper
4) Damage isn't an issue since at a certain point you'll be getting one-hit kills anyways.
1- Since when money is a problem? It's just 1200 denars with Marnid (trade 3)
2- Point
3- 1 reload for 2 shots it's better
4- I have 250 points in Firearms and still need 2 shots, even with rifle. Try shooting knights, not militia
5- Ok, accuracy is a very little bonus compared to pistols. A bonus, though  :razz:

AvaRice said:
I always feel like I'm cheating when I use the hand cannon, so I like to stay away from that, so compared to all of the regular guns, the pistol is very good.

How can you feel like your cheating when yoru using a hand cannon? Surely you are using the same weapon as other troops in the game - if you are good enough to wield it better than them then how is that cheating? 

As was mentioned earlier, what is the point in having a shield out when your aiming with a pistol?

On a seperate note, do rifles have a better range than pistols?

James

Danath said:
AvaRice said:

1) They are cheaper
1- Since when money is a problem? It's just 1200 denars with Marnid (trade 3)
2- Point
3- 1 reload for 2 shots it's better
4- I have 250 points in Firearms and still need 2 shots, even with rifle. Try shooting knights, not militia
5- Ok, accuracy is a very little bonus compared to pistols. A bonus, though  :razz:

Well, he did say superior to arquebus etc, rather than the multishot rifles : p

Accuracy bonus is only on the multishot rifles as far as I remember too.

On the subject of two shot killing, really? I'm one shot killing aristocratic cavalry with my flintlock at 270 or so points.

And for a completely debate changing point: pistols weigh less.

Tzsak said:
You got me there, those horses might collapse from the massive, black hole like weight of a rifle.

Gobblecoque said:
Tzsak said:
You got me there, those horses might collapse from the massive, black hole like weight of a rifle.

Not everyone uses horses, I perfer to run about on foot with my men. If I do use a horse it is just to run up close to the enemies before I jump off and wade in with my Sword of War or War Axe.

Historically, the advantages of pistols were that they were cheaper, easier to fire and reload while on horseback (Foot soldiers carrying pistols never really happened) and you could go into battle with five or six loaded ones strapped to your chest. In the mod, they're less accurate but reload faster. I'm not sure if this is possible with the game engine, but maybe pistols could negate part of or all of the disadvantage for horse archery?

Alternatively, I want to be able to carry six or seven pistols. Maybe combine them into bracers of two or three pistols (Which can be bought as such, or combined/broken down using the camp menu) which let you fire multiple shots before having to reload. That'd let players carry as many as six pistols plus ammo and a melee weapon.

They'd take as long as a pistol to reload, and fire only one shot after reloading, although maybe the option for loading more shots could be implemented.

You can set it up so that the pistols have multiple shots before reloading but then they will reload all the shots. It is easily done with the item editor, I did this increasing it to 3 so that the pistol had some use and was more accurate historically.

Back
Top Bottom