Renouncing Vassalage Surrenders Castles and Fiefs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Juggernaut

Recruit
I read on a previous thread that if you renounce your vassalage to a king that you retain the castles and fiefs that you owned, however when I tried to approach my castle and fiefs they seem to have been given over to a lord in the old kingdom and I am not recognized as I was before?
Thanks.

If you ask for a castle or town you conquered, and the King says no, then you can flip him the bird and take off with what's yours. I believe it depends on that specific condition, though.

You could always try and retake them...

Beforehand. If you renounce peacefully, by asking your king to be released from your oath, you lose everything. So naturally, it will then be too late to take it back (unless by force). Since you're not part of the kingdom anymore but you're not against it either, there's not much reason for you to keep lands that are part of the kingdom.

Now, as Northcott said, if you rebel against the king by taking any castle/town you conquered but he gave to someone else, then you become his enemy and a rebel. There's your chance, since you're pretty much abandoning him in not so good terms (in other words, telling him to go f*ck himself).

Very well, that isn't good if you previously owned the castle and fiefs before giving vassalage, as in my case since he will take your castle and fiefs despite that fact. Apparently then an outright rebellion is my only alternative, a previous thread seemed to give the inclination that you could keep what was yours prior to giving vassalage, but that wouldn't seem so.
Thanks.

That was incorrect. You should also be aware that if you rebel and keep your holdings, and later change your mind and ask the king to be accepted back into the faction, he will demand that you hand over whatever it was you originally refused to give up plus everything you conquered in the meantime. One way to avoid it is to sign up with a different king, who will be very happy to accept you and your lands into his kingdom. Then you can rebel against that king and go back to your old one and he'll take you back no problem. And yes, it is possible to abuse this to conquer the whole map for yourself by constantly switching allegiance.

Feudally speaking, you DO get to keep what is yours... Which, of course, is absolutely nothing, since everything belongs to the King. He's just letting you run it for him so it doesn't get that musty, closed-up house smell. ^_^

Rhedd said:
Feudally speaking, you DO get to keep what is yours... Which, of course, is absolutely nothing, since everything belongs to the King. He's just letting you run it for him so it doesn't get that musty, closed-up house smell. ^_^
Yeah, but Calradia doesn't seem very feudal, does it. Your knights aren't your vassals, they're basically mercenaries fighting for money. Hell, even goods prices are dependent on supply and demand. It's just capitalism. Personally I'd love to see a truly feudal society in a game, but sadly such a game hasn't been made yet.

Back
Top Bottom