Remove the weapon switch stun please

Users who are viewing this thread

I am seriously sick of this feature. I usually play with spears (which is a slow weapon itself) and when enemy gets close, i am done because i can't switch to my secondary in time because my attack animation isn't over yet and when its over, i can't switch again because switching drops block so my only choice is backpedalling until a friendly aggro the enemy. Why is this a thing!? Just let me switch my weapons during animations!

I am seriously sick of this feature. I usually play with spears (which is a slow weapon itself) and when enemy gets close, i am done because i can't switch to my secondary in time because my attack animation isn't over yet and when its over, i can't switch again because switching drops block so my only choice is backpedalling until a friendly aggro the enemy. Why is this a thing!? Just let me switch my weapons during animations!
You can shield bash/kick to create space. E to kick, RMB + E to shield bash.

Unfortunately it's a downside of spears, there has to be some window of punishment.

You can shield bash/kick to create space. E to kick, RMB + E to shield bash.

Unfortunately it's a downside of spears, there has to be some window of punishment.
I don't think spears need more punishment. They already become useless in close quarters so why double down on the punishment by not allowing the switch?

You cant have instant item switch how ridiculous that would be. it be the same as a automatic archer

I guess you dont play the crossbow class ?

I don't think spears need more punishment. They already become useless in close quarters so why double down on the punishment by not allowing the switch?
Because then where is the window to actually punish your opponent, they use the superior reach of the spear, you finally get into close quarters to slap them up and they instantly switch to the sword and match you there too. Spears are a little overnerfed(thanks to them being ridiculous at one point in beta/early access), but this ain't the problem chief.

If you want to have the best of both worlds you need to switch weapon earlier. This is a universal thing also as the boy above me points out, ranged weapons like Javs/Bows etc. also suffer from this. It used to be a good archer was nigh unkillable because they could just hold an aimed bow at your head, and if you tried to swing, they could shoot your head and one shot kill, and even if they missed there was still enough time to switch weapon and block. Same thing happened with Spears in the past.

You cant have instant item switch how ridiculous that would be. it be the same as a automatic archer
You don't need instant item switch, the command just needs to not be cancelled. So there can be X time to switch weapon, when you are vulnerable, but regardless of being hit or not, the weapon switch happens after X time.

I think it's all for the spears are too weak.in fact,I just learnt it not long ago.Your foe can basicly block the spear 100%,and when he gets close,the spear deals 0 damage.And that's how TaleWorlds think spears are.

I think it's all for the spears are too weak.in fact,I just learnt it not long ago.Your foe can basicly block the spear 100%,and when he gets close,the spear deals 0 damage.And that's how TaleWorlds think spears are.
When the game first released, you could use the spear and switch to a sword and attack in one fluid movement, almost like you never changed weapons. I personally thought it was badass and was a very unique way of fighting, though possibly unrealistic and broken, but you essentially could use the spear at distance and switch when they are in close.

I was a bit disappointed they changed it, and it was a big shadow-nerf to the already lacklustre spears, but I believe the general consensus was that weapon-switching was pretty busted back then. The best case scenario would be to fix the damage model of spears so that you're not forced to swap weapons in the first place, but I'd be even happier if they made weapon-switching times based on the weapon itself, so a small dagger-like blade could be pulled practically instantly compared to switching to a two-handed sword.

Extending the time it took to switch weapons was good, early on there was no reason to think about your positioning or what weapon you had out, you would push spears or archers who just insta switched, kited, shieldbashed, then when some distance insta switched again and used their ranged weapons. It was incredibly cancerous and didn't reward melee (the fundamental core of the game).

However, I feel that making it so you couldn't switch mid attack was a really unnecessary change and feels awful and clunky. Spears have a relatively long attack and it feels like the game isn't registering your input at all when trying to switch. There is a similar issue with the "bump" mechanic on ranged weapons, where the game doesn't let you switch weapon but also ignores your inputs trying to switch it, until the bump animation is over. It's frustrating because you can end up perma-stunned and unable to switch weapon.

Just odd decisions frankly and long overdue for change. The kind of issues playing Warband for 5 mins would have rectified also.

However, I feel that making it so you couldn't switch mid attack was a really unnecessary change and feels awful and clunky. Spears have a relatively long attack and it feels like the game isn't registering your input at all when trying to switch.
I feel like this is true for all commands. Bannerlord is terrible for queuing the next action and it seems like the window in which you can start the next command is dependent on the speed of the weapon you are currently using. It's terribly frustrating at times.

Spears kinda suck but having to switch weapons isn't one of the reasons why. As much as I hate to use this phrase, this is pretty much just a matter of "git gud".

There are some players that easily 1v1/1v2 with a spear, have no idea how they do it tho. I personally can make myself some space while I block/ try to get away from the enemy so I can find the perfect time to switch. The best thing to do is to pay attention and switch as soon as you're going to stay alone in a close combat, if not, well make yourself the space!

If you block an enemy's attack, you have a split second to switch your weapon. This is much easier to do with a shield, probably still doable 2 handing a spear.

Back
Top Bottom