SP Fantasy Redwall Mod

Which scene should I start working on next?

• Marshank Fort

Votes: 72 53.7%
  • The Farm by River Moss

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • Noonvale

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayhem said:
buggy, I think its more like: x= (2y)-2
where x is vert and y is tri. I just did this in wings now.

So yeah, 1.7 verts sould equal about 3.402 tris.
No no no, there has to be more verts than tri's, I think you have your 'x' and 'y' mixed up.

Oh and Buggy's formula is correct. n+2.

ok, I'm just making sure. Now I just have to un-detail my models. lol

btw, do we have a texturer on the team? Is moss still up for it?

WookieWarlord said:
No no no, there has to be more verts than tri's, I think you have your 'x' and 'y' mixed up.

Oh and Buggy's formula is correct. n+2.
My model has 92 verts and 180 tris. I didn't get them mixed up. For my model, my formula is correct, though I don't pretend it is a good formula or that it is the only one.
Buggy's formula is also correct.

yes the animals are quite similar to Narnia, but its strictly animals  :mrgreen: witch is awsome. oh yea hey guys, we need to make sure our characters have  tails!!!, they would look a bit awkward without them :p

Dahvos said:
yes even though foxes are a popular villain in the books ......they always seem to me to be smaller than badgers in the series!!!! also pine marten and wildcats!!.......i just saw some good models of skavens in the Warsword fantasy mod!!! They look pretty good to me as rats!!
Well, in real life, badgers really are bigger and more muscular than most of the animals that are in the series. A wildcat actually could potentially be bigger in size. In real life, however, a badger is one of the strongest mammals in the world for its size (and the same for other mustelids like weasels, stoats, and etc) and wouldn't have any problem dealing with a wild cat. A badger can actually fight off any dog no questions. A wolverine can fight off several wolves simultaneously. I wouldn't be surprised if a wolverine could kill a cougar (if the cougar was dumb enough to really attack it).

But anyhow...

We will do the best we can as far as sizes, but for now, the priority will be just getting the animals in game and creating the content for the mod. I would like to eventually have animals vary in size so that if you're a mouse, then a cat or badger would be a truly impressive sight.

I'm afraid I can't really help out all that much with characters or factions, it's been a long, long time since I've read the books.

If you could give me a faction list and a general description of what you think the factions aesthetics should be I could probably help out with troop trees, item lists, etc, but me actually doing module work would probably just get in the way as we'd have to compile both versions together.

If you'd like to throw some textures at me though I'd be glad to help. Simple edits don't take much time at all, so I could make some fur colour/pattern variations, armour variations, maybe some red stone wall textures. :wink:
Don't worry Moss, I'm not going to demand anything from you and crack the whip or anything :mrgreen: . If you're up to it, you could probably take the various stone textures from native and saturate them with red so they look more like red sand stone.

Note: Once I get the first animals in, Jezze gets the main map mostly finished, and I get the basic factions/troops/parties on the map, I'll send the module folder and the module system to all the modders to test and work on. It might be a week or two though.

Also, just so everyone knows, I'm considering having the primary "antagonist" be a supposed descendant of Cluny. There will also be at least one independent Corsair captain as the leader of another "vermin" faction. I'm also thinking about having a vermin Taggerung be the leader of another Vermin faction around north Mossflower. The "protagonists" will be the hares (and hopefully badger lord) of Salamandastron, the Redwallers (including the squirrels and otters inhabiting Mossflower), Southsward (castle floret), and Guosim shrews.

I am in utter shock... Folthrik hasn't commented yet.

Awesome idea guys, I really hope it all works out. If it does I'll be one of the first to download it.

Also... is there anyway to modify titles? IE, if you rise to the head of the Guisom, can you be Log-a-log, because that would rock. Similarly, it has been some time since I read the books, but wasn't Skipper's Otters an independent faction, like Guisom, even later on in the series, or did they finally become Part of redwall?

Somethings you may look into, for means of help/ideas would be 1866 and Custom Settlements. I say that for the following reasons:

-If you have a group like say Guisom, who by my memory were not insanely powerful in the scheme of things, but more of a smaller faction, who often helped the redwallers, depending on only a few leaders, in 1866 there are like... two opposing factional groups. You have outlaws/bandits/lawmen, and you have mexico/america/comanche/apache. Both groups don't interact with each other as much, but you can get troops from all. The Outlaws/bandits/lawmen have only a few main guys and maybe two hangouts, where as the nations have cities, castles, and everything you expect from Mount and Blade. What I'm getting to would be, perhaps you could have smaller groups like: Guisom, Otters, sea rats (The often factioned group) as smaller sub groups, and then Redwall/Salamandastron (Crap I can actually spell that without looking it up, I am a fanboy)/Sampetra as large factions. You can recruit from all, and see men from differing groups in the armies, but it separates everyone according to threat level. Preventing something absolutely silly happening... like a war between the Guisom and their 4 boats... and Sampetra, and their fleet, island, legion, and big cat.

-Salamandastron: There is a settlement in the custom settlements mod that is inside a mountain, rather well done... would fit the bill, or come close. I will check which one.

Also, something else is that in the Redwall universe you get a buncha groups that seem to appear from outa left field and are suddenly a big threat. See, Cluny the Scourge. What about some kind of invasion system? I know that Calradia at War and Native Expansion use invading armies (Sing Dynasty and Black Knights respectively) to introduce new factions. That would seem rather Redwall-esque.

Another thing I was curious about, what about Snakes, Birds, Wildcats (To an extent) and other BIG animals that appear, but only as like boss enemies for the protagonist to fight. Their still an integral part of the Redwall books, being the dragons to the mini-heros. Would they play any part in this mod?

Yeah, thats a bit much, but as I said earlier... This mod has me really excited, can't wait to see how it turns out!  :mrgreen:

My answers are in red:

ash12181987 said:
I am in utter shock... Folthrik hasn't commented yet.

Awesome idea guys, I really hope it all works out. If it does I'll be one of the first to download it.

Also... is there anyway to modify titles? IE, if you rise to the head of the Guisom, can you be Log-a-log, because that would rock. Similarly, it has been some time since I read the books, but wasn't Skipper's Otters an independent faction, like Guisom, even later on in the series, or did they finally become Part of redwall?

Custom Settlements has this feature (allowing your character to get the title of "King" or "Queen"). I will probably ask wickedshot about that. It's not a priority currently though.

Somethings you may look into, for means of help/ideas would be 1866 and Custom Settlements. I say that for the following reasons:

-If you have a group like say Guisom, who by my memory were not insanely powerful in the scheme of things, but more of a smaller faction, who often helped the redwallers, depending on only a few leaders, in 1866 there are like... two opposing factional groups. You have outlaws/bandits/lawmen, and you have mexico/america/comanche/apache. Both groups don't interact with each other as much, but you can get troops from all. The Outlaws/bandits/lawmen have only a few main guys and maybe two hangouts, where as the nations have cities, castles, and everything you expect from Mount and Blade. What I'm getting to would be, perhaps you could have smaller groups like: Guisom, Otters, sea rats (The often factioned group) as smaller sub groups, and then Redwall/Salamandastron (Crap I can actually spell that without looking it up, I am a fanboy)/Sampetra as large factions. You can recruit from all, and see men from differing groups in the armies, but it separates everyone according to threat level. Preventing something absolutely silly happening... like a war between the Guisom and their 4 boats... and Sampetra, and their fleet, island, legion, and big cat.

It's something that I have thought about. Right now I'm just going to try to get the basics running; then I'll look at a more complicated faction system. Skipper's otters are somewhat independent, but skipper is often at Redwall. Also, there are other skippers (for example in Southsward), so a larger-smaller faction setup might be ideal for this. Perhaps there would be various small "woodlander" factions (different otter groups each with their own skipper, Guosim, etc and perhaps smaller "vermin" factions like the Juska Clan with a Taggerung, a corsair or two, etc.

-Salamandastron: There is a settlement in the custom settlements mod that is inside a mountain, rather well done... would fit the bill, or come close. I will check which one.

It is called Morlia. I'm definitely going to be looking at it. I'm considering a number of different ways to make it. For one idea, I might call on one of the modelers for some "mountainside" objects or something. No matter, Salamandastron is going to be [hopefully] awesome :smile:

Also, something else is that in the Redwall universe you get a buncha groups that seem to appear from outa left field and are suddenly a big threat. See, Cluny the Scourge. What about some kind of invasion system? I know that Calradia at War and Native Expansion use invading armies (Sing Dynasty and Black Knights respectively) to introduce new factions. That would seem rather Redwall-esque.

It's a good idea. It will be something to look into, but I definitely want to have a dedicated warlord (or two) that I can focus on and add some interesting characterization/quests.

Another thing I was curious about, what about Snakes, Birds, Wildcats (To an extent) and other BIG animals that appear, but only as like boss enemies for the protagonist to fight. Their still an integral part of the Redwall books, being the dragons to the mini-heros. Would they play any part in this mod?

If we can, we'll definitely try to implement some birds (cats are already going to be in it). I heard that there was a flying script, so we'll see. It's not an immediate priority however.

Yeah, thats a bit much, but as I said earlier... This mod has me really excited, can't wait to see how it turns out!  :mrgreen:

Glad you're excited :grin: I hope this mod turns out great.

Ares, I bow in your undertaking of this project. Best of luck, the books were my favorite when i was younger. I still own all of them and read them from time to time.

Feragorn said:
Ares, I bow in your undertaking of this project. Best of luck, the books were my favorite when i was younger. I still own all of them and read them from time to time.
Well I hope we can make a great mod! Thanks for the support :grin:

buggy123 said:
(if you recall, in the first book there was an entire army of rats riding in the back of a human-sized cart pulled by a horse, and the main villain was supposed to be from Portugal)

o_O really? Cluny  the scourge was from Portugal? Horse? Is that the book or the animated series?

tbh, the redwall book wasn't that good compared to the rest of the series xD

btw, any modders out there can tell me how texture works? Does the engine support normal maps, light maps, etc? How does uv mapping work when modding this?

I already got a few models up, but no textures yet

the book. in the book, there was a captain in Cluny's army named Skullface who he made jump on the back of the horse to bite it when it stopped running and pulling the cart, and when he jumpped on its back the horse freaked out and reared and he fell off and got run over and killed by the cart.

about the animal creation:

1. the head, you know how when u create a char it lets you choose the nose size, etc and it deforms the mesh accordingly? Is that even possible to do animal? because I imagine it would look really weird...

2.The body, are hair/fur usually done with textures or on the model? (blender 3d can do hair on the models but I suspect it will crash the game)

1.) Animals have been done many times and implemented by other mods.

Check some of this thread out

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,87192.0.html

2.) It's mostly done by texture

hm, I see, the skaven and ork does look pretty convincing. Oh well I'm just going to model it and not worry about anything else :grin:

buggy123 said:
1. the head, you know how when u create a char it lets you choose the nose size, etc and it deforms the mesh accordingly? Is that even possible to do animal? because I imagine it would look really weird...
It is, you can change what the sliders effect (so set one to change the length of fangs or a snout for example), however it's not exactly simple to do. Have a look at the Wheel of Time mod for a good example.

I haven't read Redwall, but are all the animals different sizes? (e.g. badgers as tall as badgers and not humans?)
If that is the case, I sense much skeleton and animating work inbound!
Good luck, looking forward to this!

Hey ares, I suggest we get a file hosting server online so we won't have the problem of "Oh noez, my computer crashed and I lost all the models and scripts!" plus, its a good way for all the people on the team whos working on what, and what we need to work on, etc.

Maybe mediafire or something?

Rize said:
I haven't read Redwall, but are all the animals different sizes? (e.g. badgers as tall as badgers and not humans?)
If that is the case, I sense much skeleton and animating work inbound!
Good luck, looking forward to this!

it changes from book to book. in the first book, they are the same size as the actual animals, but later on in the series they are written as being more anthropomorphic.

the badgers are seemingly the biggest, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom