Random Media v.4 (Comedy Optional, Interesting Optional)

How do you feel about Vraelomon?

• Long live The King.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I didn't vote for him.

Votes: 90 67.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Radetzky said:
Urgrevling said:
at least I'd like to see where you got that from.
LAROUI, Abdallah. The History of the Maghrib : An Interpretive Essay. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1977. Pages 76-77 chiefly.

BURNS, Thomas Samuel. Barbarians Within the Gates of Rome: A Study of Roman Military Policy and the Barbarians, ca. 375-425 A.D. Bloomington and Indianapolis : Indiana University Press,  1994. Pages 17-18. Some tidbits from De Bello Gallico would also be a relevant primary source but moreso for the extermination.

Jones here discusses the theories of either Romans genociding Britons or Anglo-Saxon rampage instead. Don't blame me for clinging to some high-school-outdated-theories if such is the case.

I don't know man, this seems barely relevant to what we were talking about. Anyway have some media.

P4K20CJ.jpg

dVdmpeg.jpg

pmc6OYc.jpg

JeS9xLL.jpg

rI7KUML.png

kf8qQ7e.jpg

Urgrevling said:
That's missing the point, you were not a slave because you're a Gaul, Ethiopian, etc. The Romans didn't see the people they enslaved as naturally only fit for slavery because of their ethnicity.
Romans saw literally the entire world as only fit to be ruled by them as not only natural, but divinely preordained rulers. They were openly supremacist and bragged about it. They didn't set out to literally enslave the entire world just to make a point, but neither did modern Europeans, because neither had to.
Urgrevling said:
What they didn't do is justify slavery by saying enslaved peoples were less than human.
They didn't use that term, because it doesn't make sense before Linnaeus and Darwin, but the spirit of their worldview was the same. They also didn't feel the need to justify it at all. To them, it was not a "peculiar institution" that needs theoretical defense against its detractors, it was completely normal, the default state of things. 
Grikiard said:
I don't think they thought people were savages because of their ethnicity or genes, but just based on their culture. Roman citizens had rights and could not legally be enslaved, but citizenship was not exclusive to certain ethnicities.
This type of fairly inclusive Romanitas developed quite late as a response to the demographic reality of the Empire, not unlike say Britishness has been redefined after WW2. But for most of their history they were very ethnos-minded. Having common ancestors and ancestor worship was the cornerstone of Roman culture and religion.
Urgrevling said:
Also in the unlikely event that there are people left to say anything 2000 years from now I hope they'll have a more nuanced view than that.
No, they will meme about how Europeans were open-minded, peaceful traders and knowledge-sharers, because Portuguese missionaries in Kongo or the Moluccas were a thing and Pushkin and Dumas were 1/something black, just like you people meme about Rome :razz:

kurczak said:
Urgrevling said:
That's missing the point, you were not a slave because you're a Gaul, Ethiopian, etc. The Romans didn't see the people they enslaved as naturally only fit for slavery because of their ethnicity.
Romans saw literally the entire world as only fit to be ruled by them as not only natural, but divinely preordained rulers. They were openly supremacist and bragged about it. They didn't set out to literally enslave the entire world just to make a point, but neither did modern Europeans, because neither had to.
Urgrevling said:
What they didn't do is justify slavery by saying enslaved peoples were less than human.
They didn't use that term, because it doesn't make sense before Linnaeus and Darwin, but the spirit of their worldview was the same. They also didn't feel the need to justify it at all. To them, it was not a "peculiar institution" that needs theoretical defense against its detractors, it was completely normal, the default state of things. 
Grikiard said:
I don't think they thought people were savages because of their ethnicity or genes, but just based on their culture. Roman citizens had rights and could not legally be enslaved, but citizenship was not exclusive to certain ethnicities.
This type of fairly inclusive Romanitas developed quite late as a response to the demographic reality of the Empire, not unlike say Britishness has been redefined after WW2. But for most of their history they were very ethnos-minded. Having common ancestors and ancestor worship was the cornerstone of Roman culture and religion.
Urgrevling said:
Also in the unlikely event that there are people left to say anything 2000 years from now I hope they'll have a more nuanced view than that.
No, they will meme about how Europeans were open-minded, peaceful traders and knowledge-sharers, because Portuguese missionaries in Kongo or the Moluccas were a thing and Pushkin and Dumas were 1/something black, just like you people meme about Rome :razz:

Except no one has said, nor will anyone, that the Romans weren't xenophobic, only that they didn't have racial slavery. But "you people" love to think concepts from modern times are universal and have been around forever.

For the record, slavery anywhere done by anyone is horrible. It's not that only Europeans have done evil or that their evil is very special and unique , but that the transatlantic slave trade had effects that are still felt today and the quote that started the discussion is used to disingenuously argue that it's not so bad by equating it with other forms of slavery in history. It's arguments that were used at the time by slave owners themselves.

Urgrevling said:
kurczak said:
Urgrevling said:
Urgrevling said:
Grikiard said:
Urgrevling said:

Except no one has said, nor will anyone, that the Romans weren't xenophobic, only that they didn't have racial slavery. But "you people" love to think concepts from modern times are universal and have been around forever.

For the record, slavery anywhere done by anyone is horrible. It's not that only Europeans have done evil or that their evil is very special and unique , but that the transatlantic slave trade had effects that are still felt today and the quote that started the discussion is used to disingenuously argue that it's not so bad by equating it with other forms of slavery in history. It's arguments that were used at the time by slave owners themselves.
I can live with that.

YJlET.png

Back
Top Bottom