Quick and Dirty Manual (v0.623)

Users who are viewing this thread

When your shield is knocked out of your hand in battle (shield's camage reaches 0), its maximum damage will be permanently reduced. (credit to Vae Victus)

The "camage" isnt it damage ?? or sumthing else or just me that dont know the word? :razz:

No, no, it's a real word. It's, um, "damage" that's recieved in the "carnage" of battle. Or something. :oops:

Tiedye said:
Crossbows fire bolts, bows fire arrows.
This is very unimportant point, but you fire a gun and shoot crossbow/bow.
Erm, yes, not really worth mentioning but there you go.

It's a little known fact that bows and crossbows in the M&B world actually use gunpowder to "fire". It's kind of hard to see in the animations, though... and of course it's not documented in the game...

Er, see how much you learn when you read my guide?!

To anyone trying this game for the first time I say go to the options menu and drag that battle size meter all the way to the left, you can always turn it up later. And don't be afraid of getting beat down. Just keep going after the pirates until you finish the pirate mission. And don't waste your money on armor or weapons at the stores you will eventually get better stuff from raiding. for crown and country YEEEHAAA!

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to be some kind of Know it all here. I am kind of dumb but I love these kind of games anyways. And even though the tab key instructions are in the tutorial, it took me awhile to figure out that I could use the tab key to exit a town right away and even to retreat (run away!) in the middle of a fight. So I just thought I would throw this in here. Bitburg Bier! Oh, I raised the battle size much higher. And I bought some armor and weapons from a shop. Just want to spare new guys a lot of wasted time. "And the meek shall inherit the earth." Whatever is left of it. Cheers!

Well, if you do need a specific weapon COUGHLANCECOUGH you should buy it instead of waiting untill you finally get one - especially since River Bandits *rarely* drop them :wink:

Let your watchword be Victo...*looks at that 50+ crossbowmenparty* <King Arthur> Run away! </King Arthur> :lol:

Tiedye, you might want to make mention of the following things in your 'World Map' section.

ASDW will scroll the map around, so you can see the world and where things are.

The uphill/downhill on the map will affect 'speed', including that of pursuers should you be on the run.

(As mentioned in the thread, I'm stuffing this into this thread. Tiedye can decide if he wants to push it into the main manual he's got on the first page.)

*steps up on a tree trunk in the middle of a combat field, with a herald's staff*

HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

All Swadian Recruits are hereby remanded to privy duty until they are able to display successful archery skills, by order of our King!

To assist you in these tasks, the following information has been provided by members of our elite archery forces and some tournament champions who have returned home. Take these pointers to heart, and we'll have you back on your horse with a sword instead of behind it with a shovel!

1 ) The targetting reticule on your bow is designed to show you when you've held the string back to long. It will shrink to a minimum size, and then grow again as you strain the string. You must fire at the minimum point for highest accuracy.

2 ) Watch your arrow! If you see it hit short, aim higher! Over his head? Aim lower! This seems obvious, but your bow will shoot the distance according to the bow, not randomly short or long to any severe difference. Side to side is another matter.

3 ) Using the zoom feature on your bow (accomplished by holding shift) will give you a closeup of your target. Use this to your advantage for watching your shots as well as assisting in aiming.

4 ) Firing when moving is difficult, at best, until you are an elite archer. It is better to pause a second after starting to draw the bow and take the tight shot then wasting arrow after arrow around your target.

5 ) Firing from horseback, a common pasttime, is difficult. You cannot hit infantry targets that are directly next to you easily, if at all. Those directly behind or in front of your horse are about impossible to hit. You need typically a weapons-reach worth of room. Rule of thumb: If they can hit you in melee, you probably won't hit them from ON the horse.

Only shoot off the left side of the horse. Trying to shoot to the right bangs the bow off your horse's head and they get upset. To make sure noone even tries, we've tied the bottom corner of your bow to your left stirrup.

Your best bet, when fighting foot soldiers with a bow, is to run a little ahead of them, stop, fire one arrow, perhaps two, then run away quickly again, and repeat. You will hit more with this activity.

6 ) If you are hit while aiming, you drop your arrow. If you fire your arrow before you get hit (archery war), it will fly true, your head will just hurt.

7 ) Headshots count. They're also hard to get.

8 ) An archery skill under 60 is nearly useless unless you can count their nose hairs. Be happy you hit something.

9 ) You can withdraw your arrow from your bow by right clicking... what the hell is the King talking about here?! Anyway, before you release the arrow, right click, and you'll stop the shot.

10 ) EVERYONE in the land is a better shot then you. Fire, move while pulling on the string, stop once you're close, finish your aim, fire, and move again. If you stay still, even Pirates with rocks will hit you 5 times for each time you hit them at range. Get closer or keep moving.

11 ) Crossbows: Cannot be *reloaded* from horseback. You can, however, shoot once. You must dismount to reload however. Left click a second time to begin the reload. The targeting reticule, however, will not re-expand, giving you all the time you wish to take your shot.

12 ) When in doubt, shoot into a mob. You'll hit something. If you can't shoot into the mob, shoot the horse.

13 ) You silly bowmen aren't used to shields, but guess what they're for? Right! To stop arrows! You're not big enough to punch through them, leave that for the real men with swords! Either wait until they're gonna swing at you and bury your feathers in them, or get off to the side of them since they can only defend forward, because otherwise they're going to block your shots. Also, if you hit someone as they're trying to swing at you, they'll flinch! Amazing what a foot of wood in your stomach will do, no? You get to pull another arrow and try again!

This ends the proclamation by the King! Death to Vaegris!

Lord Blade said:
Heh, yeah. I pull that too.

You look sweet... for all of 2 seconds... before crashing into the ground in a lump and hearing your horse break it's neck. :sad:

And it doesn't work even if you jump into water :sad:

Wanderer is top notch, and Effidian is good too. I have only played around with the bowman stuff so far but those tips help a lot .

About the cliff jumping horse moves. Once I ran straight off a cliff and jumped. Now, here is the amazing part. I landed ontop of a mounted knight, and KILLED him. Now THAT is cool. Of course, my horse died as well, and the knights horse died too, and I was down to half health...

When approaching a whole group of archers when on house back, it is usually difficult to lower my lance. So I usually just put up the shield and charge straight through the whole mob. I get to go at least 10 damage per person without sustaining any damage from arrows... and since the enemy is always in a cluster at the start... if it is too risky because there are many archers. Sometimes, I just charge into the whole lot with your shield up.

Anyone does the same? I usually can got through 5 or 6 players at the first run... so that is about 10 x 6 = 60 damage. But of course... usually a charge does more then 10 damage per person... and the lance attack works better if there are fewer archers.

Hey hey.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Been hopelessly plugged in to Guild Wars. I'll take a look at all the suggestions and update the "manual" later (hopefully this evening).

Tiedye said:
You might want to add that Lame horses can be killed in combat.

I didn't know that... thanks for the info. I'll add it now.

Heroic Horse-Jumps from a high hill to the carnage below with the intent to look cool with your blade a-swinging as your horse lands do not work.

And yet I still try every chance I get.

Me too. I don't know why, but I just can't resist it. I think to myself, "Ah, it's not that far down... I'll probably be okay." And then, just like the dozens of times before, I find myself flung from a crippled horse.

I try it too but i land on people and kill them.... Mostly my own on accident

Back
Top Bottom