Question about Players

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely deny it having an effect. If you are playing a niche early access game such as this (in a fairly obscure genre), you know your way around a mouse and keyboard. Any gamer that has spent any amount of time playing North American multiplayer games has learned to ignore that dude named "Hitler" talking about his collection of "My Little Pony" dolls.
Or they've gone to play another game. So which player do you want to keep? The one spamming hitler is my hero, or the ones just playing the game in silence. Stop assuming everyone who plays Mount & Blade games are superhumans who dont let people like this piss them off. Thats one of the reasons why the NA scene dried up faster than EU in Warband. Its not that they burst into tears whenever someone writes this stuff, but it ruins the fun. If you're at a restaurant and someone a few tables over takes a **** on their table, you can choose to ignore that or you can ask the person to be kicked out.

Your reasoning is flawed for a variety of reasons you have probably not considered.

1. A report system implemented would only affect Taleworld's official servers. This is an issue because people will nearly entirely stop using the queue system once custom servers are implemented.

2. Hate speech is entirely objective, and this becomes an issue when most of the devs and the community managers are not from North America (like you seem to be). What is hate speech in Turkey is not hate speech in Europe and what is hate speech in Europe is not hate speech in North America. We have already had an issue in the community with this, as some Taiwanese players playing on Asian servers criticized the Chinese government and were banned by rogue moderators from China for hate speech (under the guise of cheating). Although this situation was resolved and the individuals were unbanned, it demonstrates the different standards that different regions will have.

3. Who will be filtering through these reports? Will Taleworlds dedicate paid staff to moderating this? Probably not, instead if such a system is implemented I predict they will call in unpaid interns under a system they will probably make a forum post about, with some smooth words about "community involvement". After this occurs, you will have untrained, unsupervised individuals from the community handing out bans for a game that individuals have paid for.

4. I still do not see why people are forced to participate with a chat and be "uncomfortable" when the mute button exists. Just hit the mute button. It's there... and I believe it permanently mutes individuals you click the button on until you unclick it. Considering the 100 active people in the entirety of North America, it seems fairly easy to just click click click and the issue is resolved.
1. Even if thats true which it seems its not, thats the only servers we have right now, if that was added on early access release, it'd mean atleast a year before custom servers were released. Thats already worth it.

2. True its objective, somewhat. If someone constantly spams the n word on a server, I honestly dont care if its hatespeach of not, hes being a little ****heel whos failing as a human being. If someone spams racist, homophobic or sexist garbage on a 100 slot server, I see absolutely no worth in that person being allowed to play, give him a few hours to calm down and maybe re think his decisions.
If you're talking about politics or religion, you have somewhat of an argument, but 90% of the people we're talking about are not doing this in good faith and certainly not doing it to discuss politics. Theyre doing it to troll, and trolls are annoying. This is also not the place to discuss politics, we're there to play, not discuss the 2020 election.

3. A good community would have a dedicated and paid staff to go over this information and decide what gets punished. Lets face it, it'll probably be interns or unpaid moderators but as long as theyre trustworthy members of the community, I see no flaw in that. Have some transparancy on why they were banned, hell Im in favor of posting the reason they were banned somewhere public so everyone knows, and disputes can be made easily enough, as they are in every other online game. I know of several people who would gladly help moderate the game to keep players happy and playing, this shouldnt be an issue.

4. Nobody is forced to participate in the chat, its about creating an environment where everyone is having fun. Again the question comes down to who do you want to keep in the game. I much prefer having a healthier game where people arnt toxic bags of garbage and actually play the game, instead of a game where people try to out edge eachother. The mute button only works for that play session, so every game you have to re-mute (as far as I know, I havnt used it)

I'll throw a random vote against overdone language filtering. After all it's 2020 and by now everyone knows easily offended people are never satisfied with what they get and this request can lead to others in similar fashion. Like, ever noticed how when you make black character he has a regular angry white boy voice? After we make game forbid racist chat messages let's make the game itself not racist by whining how we want black chars to sound like hood gangstas.
What about a well done language filter? You're assuming everyone will report people for the tiniest thing they said, like me saying "you died like an idiot" would get me 10 days ban. That wont happen. Stop seing conflicts where there are none.

seems like its still bigger than yours since you still haven't figured out how to put multiple quotes in one post :fruity:
I’m using my phone and too lazy to make one big ass post. But again the fact you type **** like this and think ur 1uping me genuinely reveals how thick you are

We clearly don’t play the same game if you think most warband servers are very strict on ‘hate speech’

There was a solid 2 year stretch in NA where saying the n word got you banned off of every populated server. You need to step out of your EU bubble and realize the rest of the world isnt so fast and loose about hate speech.

Was a nice dig at the start but you didn’t actually address anything I said, nice tho, can’t lose the argument if you don’t actually address it!!! 300 iq move

Was actually 20 iq move for replying at all. Here’s the response again. Rightclicky complain button good for peeples.

No argument to be had really. How anyone can think hatespeech is okay is beyond me. There’s a difference between making a joke in poor taste and legit real life hate mongering.

This thread is a dumpster fire. Peace.

Okay... so on the one hand the NA scene dried up because of extreme toxicity, and if it was dealt with it like in EU it would've been better

But on the other hand I’m getting told the NA scene was way more proactive about toxicity than EU, and that’s good and beneficial. Furthermore I’m just in an EU bubble and we need to be more like NA...

so which is it?

I’m using my phone and too lazy to make one big ass post. But again the fact you type **** like this and think ur 1uping me genuinely reveals how thick you are
Everyone knows you're toxic, there's no reason for me to seriously discuss with you why/how toxic people should be punished.

Still, to make my point clear:
Global bans should be reserved for cheaters. Global mutes however should be possible, for example for people like the one Ebdanian provided screenshots of. (That said, once modding tools are out, it will no doubt be possible for server hosts to circumvent them if they want to.)

Also, saying this
Some servers will have strict rules, some won't, its up to those induvidual server owners to decide. Don't like the rules of one server? Don't play it, theres another one with the ruleset which will satisfy you.
while still playing on my servers... :grin:

Everyone knows you're toxic, there's no reason for me to seriously discuss with you why/how toxic people should be punished.

Still, to make my point clear:
Global bans should be reserved for cheaters. Global mutes however should be possible, for example for people like the one Ebdanian provided screenshots of. (That said, once modding tools are out, it will no doubt be possible for server hosts to circumvent them if they want to.)

Also, saying this

while still playing on my servers... :grin:
I play on ur servers cos I have the choice to, and I got punished for not abiding by the rules. YOUVE LITERALLY JUST PROVEN MY POINT OF CHOICE OF SERVERS/RULESETS BUT OK THANKS KREX

I play on ur servers cos I have the choice to, and I got punished for not abiding by the rules. YOUVE LITERALLY JUST PROVEN MY POINT OF CHOICE OF SERVERS/RULESETS BUT OK THANKS KREX
You also have a choice to play on taleworlds servers...and they have the choice to implement whatever rules they want...so why cry about the toxic opportunities you are losing. The logic you use to attack other people also applies to you lol

Bans should be reserved for cheats and fraud (scammers). Because I can define cheating, it's the use of external software to alter game functionality to my advantage. I can define fraud, it's criminal deception with intent for monetary gain.

Hatespeech has no clear definitions, a traditionalist catholic would consider an abortion activist talking about their babies termination as a murderer talking about their victim. Should the abortionist be banned? Are they inciting murder? Or are they just discussing the hardships of a medical procedure?

I know this is hardly a likely scenario to occur on a Bannerlord server but it shows how hatespeech is a subjective definition. Which if bannable, will be prone to the bias' of whoever is using it.

Mute system should work fine. If private servers want to ban people, it's their server to do with as they please.

Public servers banning people on subjective definitions is a poor system, a single individual, or even several, deciding what is and what is not bannable hatespeech will only succeed in defining those indiviudals definitions of hatespeech and nothing more.

You also have a choice to play on taleworlds servers...and they have the choice to implement whatever rules they want...so why cry about the toxic opportunities you are losing. The logic you use to attack other people also applies to you lol
I mean when the MP is entirely taleworlds garbage then no you dont really have a choice if 'hate speech' becomes bannable. As 'HATE SPEECH' can be interpreted differently by different admins, it isnt a good bannable rule to put in place. If you want to do what mercs did whereby they mute anyone who says the N word etc ok. I mean at least on mercs you know where the line is most of the time. But here with a vague rule as hate speech, tf me saying someone is **** at the game might even get punished

Bans should be reserved for cheats and fraud (scammers). Because I can define cheating, it's the use of external software to alter game functionality to my advantage. I can define fraud, it's criminal deception with intent for monetary gain.

Hatespeech has no clear definitions, a traditionalist catholic would consider an abortion activist talking about their babies termination as a murderer talking about their victim. Should the abortionist be banned? Are they inciting murder? Or are they just discussing the hardships of a medical procedure?

I know this is hardly a likely scenario to occur on a Bannerlord server but it shows how hatespeech is a subjective definition. Which if bannable, will be prone to the bias' of whoever is using it.

Mute system should work fine. If private servers want to ban people, it's their server to do with as they please.

Public servers banning people on subjective definitions is a poor system, a single individual, or even several, deciding what is and what is not bannable hatespeech will only succeed in defining those indiviudals definitions of hatespeech and nothing more.
this^^

I mean when the MP is entirely taleworlds garbage then no you dont really have a choice if 'hate speech' becomes bannable. As 'HATE SPEECH' can be interpreted differently by different admins, it isnt a good bannable rule to put in place. If you want to do what mercs did whereby they mute anyone who says the N word etc ok. I mean at least on mercs you know where the line is most of the time. But here with a vague rule as hate speech, tf me saying someone is **** at the game might even get punished

If the rules about speech are strict, I mean just dont call people **** and you wont be banned for calling people ****.

Is just being nice really so incomprehensible to you that the thought of it gets you angry.

As you say thats unlikely to happen, and can be dealt with if it does.
Perma bans should be reserved for cheaters and scammers I agree, but I also agree toxicity should be bannable.

If the rules about speech are strict, I mean just dont call people **** and you wont be banned for calling people ****.

Is just being nice really so incomprehensible to you that the thought of it gets you angry.
Pretty much this.
Stop assuming its the world trying to stop your creative minds from expressing itself. Its there to prevent you from being an ******* in a video game. If you want to fight for some agenda, theres tons of actual problems in the world, go help there instead. You thinking you have the right to call someone the n word in a video game is baffling.

Gk Tdm was pretty strict in its rules for enforcing hate speech and it made the community great imo. Not perfect, but much more fun and relaxing for the average non hateful individual

As you say thats unlikely to happen, and can be dealt with if it does.
Perma bans should be reserved for cheaters and scammers I agree, but I also agree toxicity should be bannable.
What about a temporary mute by x amount of times til the person reaches a perm mute? I find that to be a more common solution especially among other game servers.

"We should make assault and battery legal because a judge might be too loose with the definition and convict someone who accidentally tripped another person up." That's exactly what this "hate speech is subjective" argument sounds like. You aren't clever for saying that good rules can be applied poorly. Please find better talking points when trying to excuse the abuse you find funny.

Last edited:
What about a temporary mute by x amount of times til the person reaches a perm mute? I find that to be a more common solution especially among other game servers.
+1
great idea and would help with toxicity in general but not quite deal with tk'ing. i've had days where you match with the same tk'ing racist over and over because there are a total of 8 people on skirmish. not that you deserve much penalty for tk'ing i guess

the "just don't be a limp *****" argument always makes me laugh because you know they're the problem child we're talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom