PREVIOUS EVENT: Val de Saire (May 17th)

Users who are viewing this thread

MarchHare said:
Aethel said:
It is important to note how unpopular Normans are though.
I think it's always been like that here, really.

Probably has something to do with that thing called 1066 and all the Saxon fans here, but hey: what do I know?  :mrgreen:

- Serle

Only problem I have with the normans is their shields. I don't really like the kite shield.  Apart from that, they are my second favourite faction. They also have sweet names, like Seinfreid, Rainfrei, Avenel, Helinand...

I do agree about the kite shields, their usefulness in real life is unfortunately poorly represented with Warband's shield mechanics, and because they're not massive shields, it's easy for javelins to go over the rim and embed itself in your skull. If it was possible to get them to be held properly, and be a static object that provides a passive defense on your left side, they'd be much better to use in Warband.

Aethel said:
I like this guy already.

*extends a friendly handshake*

*Graciously accepts* (We should start a Norman clan.  :grin:)

ThegnAnsgar said:
I do agree about the kite shields, their usefulness in real life is unfortunately poorly represented with Warband's shield mechanics, and because they're not massive shields, it's easy for javelins to go over the rim and embed itself in your skull. If it was possible to get them to be held properly, and be a static object that provides a passive defense on your left side, they'd be much better to use in Warband.

I think I understand their use as cavalry shields, but I just can't see why infantry would use them instead of a round shield, or even an oval one.

However, I'm no military expert, and I don't partake in reenactment activities, or experimental archaeology if you want to call it that (I would like to join some Late Roman or Viking era reenactment group, though), so my knowledge about this particular area is sketchy at best. If someone knows, I would gladly listen to him.

Well, the biggest problem with a round shield is that it only covers your body, not your legs. A kite shield does exactly that. It also negates a lot of the wight with its size since you can just put it on hte ground and still be protected. A round shield you always need to keep up with your own strength. Even with a lightweight shield (3-4 kilos, depending on size) that can be quite a feat in a longer fight, especially in a shield wall.

Also, getting around a kite shield with a bigger and slower weapon is much harder to do because of the covered areas of the shield, compared to a round shield. At least that's my personal experience.

Still, Normans are too french for me. :razz:

Now, now, gentlemen, with all due respect, let us keep things topical to the event itself, shall we.  :wink:

And to that effect here's a small update:

Niel visquens (Ubbe Arnarins)
Boemunt l'Urs
Arnulf
Storolfr
Hryggr
Bertram
Engelger filz Engelmar (if he can make it)
Jon Vikarsson
Richard de Evreux
Balduin filz Osbert
(Skipverjar Arnarins)

fysaga said:
Seriously, what kind of horrible person doesnt like kiteshields ?

I don't.

However, I'm a known serial killer who sacrifices gypsies to his old, dark gods in hopes of getting the attention of the Great Ones. So I'm, in fact, a horrible person.

hrotha said:
The kite shields are a very minor issue when you consider the Norman count is harbouring terrorists.
Terrorists? You mean freedom fighters, dashing through the coasts of England to save their people and bring them under rightful northman rule. People die in wars.

More importantly, these Engle peasants are no better than the ones they criticize, amassing a fleet to raid and burn our Norman coast.

We will slaughter your men, take your wives, and dance on your graves, Saxon.

Sign me in for the Normans!
It is actually my first time playing Vikingr, so - any suggestions for a name? :grin:

Just a friendly reminder to all you Normans out there.

waMjCK9.jpg

What with the usual victimization the English traditionally get in the viking ages, I suppose there's plenty of pent-up aggression to let out for these occasions.  :ohdear:

Awesome painting, Ræda! Infernal, dantesque, horrific, apocalyptic... And well executed! I'm proud to be on the good side of that shield.

Let's teach the Norman fish-**** and his minions what it means to be a friend of our enemies!

Heads-Up: Not quite sure if I (Sigefrith, Engle) can make it, got to work for my Archery Club the whole day. Got to find out if I come back early enough. I'll report later again.

Back
Top Bottom