Please fix the armor formula. The current protection it offers is next to worthless

Users who are viewing this thread

Fully agree with OP. Armour needs a purpose, and that is to stop attacks.
Not only is armour itself not useful enough as a whole. But I think they need to rework cut, pierce and blunt damage as well. There is too little difference between all of them. Cut damage should only really hurt heavily armoured opponents when it is from a hevay hitting axe or glaive. Not a measly 1handed sword as is the case currently.
Wouldn't it be cool if you carried a sword and an axe and switch between the two based on the armour your opponent has.

Warband did this much better. You need only look back to see.

I find the mod is worse because the rest of the game is built with frequent, fast fights in mind and if you make every serious battle take like five times as long and produce 50% more casualties for the player, it very quickly starts to drag things into grindfest territory.
EXACTLY. This is after all a video game, and you don't need 20 years to train a knight all the way from childhood, and villages will keep spawning troops even if hundreds of thousands of troops have died. The base game is designed for a certain thing, and if you alter that you have to alter all of the rest to have it make any sense.
Balance isn't an on/off switch between OP and UP, it's a matter of degrees. There is a midpoint between what we have now and RBM. Where both archers and cav are useful relative to their cost.
Yeah true. Personally I would love to see spears and thrust attacks in general be a lot more powerful. They're supposed to be way faster and have longer reach than swinging, but in the game its just painfully slow and ineffective. I'd SLIGHTLY reduce the arrow effectiveness, or make "friendly fire" a thing.
Well, nobody's jumping on top of anyone or pinning anyone in Bannerlord. When talking total realism, I also disagree with the notion that any one of those 5 unarmoured dudes would want to be the first one to try and rush down the knight and get their guts sliced open by a sword for their trouble.
Well that's the issue, isn't it? You can't simulate a few guys pinning down a knight and holding a dagger to his eye slot. If they're wearing even heavy jackets let alone mail, what can that knight do when rushed? Good luck slicing open even a hand me down scavenged mail shirt. A knight's ransom is a lotta money and these guys are here on the battlefield in the first place. They aren't your bob from accounting who would pass out if he got a papercut.

Last edited:
I don't think this was a **** up, instead I think this intentional. They want battles to be over quickly so how to do that? The more damage that gets through the faster people die, add in that the ai has no survivabilty built in because they hardly block, and people die quickly. Then it's on to the next battle for more killings. Bannerlord is the CoD of the M&B series fast action trying to continually feed the adrenaline rush but when it's all said and done there's nothing of any real substance to the game.

this isn't counterstrike

EXACTLY. This is after all a video game, and you don't need 20 years to train a knight all the way from childhood, and villages will keep spawning troops even if hundreds of thousands of troops have died. The base game is designed for a certain thing, and if you alter that you have to alter all of the rest to have it make any sense.
I'm of the opinion that the game would be much funnier if the average playthrough was scaled around a player going through less than a hundred quests, getting into about twelve to fifteen massive field battles, perhaps two or three times as many smaller-but-still-significant ones and maybe ten or twenty sieges, having less than a half-dozen conversation minigames (outside of quests, at least), and needing to make only two or three in-game friends. We're talking progression from nobody to the ruler of Calradia.

A lot of poor play experience of BL can be chalked up to making players go through stuff that is fun for the first five hours for fifty hours. Fighting battles just as much as anything; battles are fun as **** before pattern recognition starts kicking in really hardcore and the wild, swirly, mega-fun melee action becomes you doing the exact same tactics because you've been fighting battles for like 350 hours and nothing is capable of surprising you any longer.

But TW clearly want battles, large battles, lots of battles, constant battles, so they scale everything in the game around it, including probably targets on how long they want a typical battle to last but also your character progression and clan growth.

I'm of the opinion that the game would be much funnier if the average playthrough was scaled around a player going through less than a hundred quests, getting into about twelve to fifteen massive field battles, perhaps two or three times as many smaller-but-still-significant ones and maybe ten or twenty sieges, having less than a half-dozen conversation minigames (outside of quests, at least), and needing to make only two or three in-game friends. We're talking progression from nobody to the ruler of Calradia.

A lot of poor play experience of BL can be chalked up to making players go through stuff that is fun for the first five hours for fifty hours. Fighting battles just as much as anything; battles are fun as **** before pattern recognition starts kicking in really hardcore and the wild, swirly, mega-fun melee action becomes you doing the exact same tactics because you've been fighting battles for like 350 hours and nothing is capable of surprising you any longer.
These are some really good points, and I agree with them to some extent (the numbers may need tweaking), the number of large battles (as well as noble respawning and army rebuilding) should be lower to make them feel more important. I think that you're generally right in your assessments. The downside to the game would be that such a change increases the factions' snowball. Now, snowballing is not necessarily bad itself, but too much of it makes the player feel like they have to rush to save a faction. Another way that the devs should (but 99% won't) enhance the game to make it feel less grindy is through adding new ways to play, be it through back alley management & more criminal quests, "grand" tournaments every 5 in-game years, option to serve as a soldier, making smithing more influential in raising relations with lords by gifting weapons to them, etc.

One change that I proposed was making the day/night cycle 2x or 3x faster while changing the payments due (as well as influence, construction, food consumption, loyalty, security, prosperity, days until an election, etc.) from ticking once a day to once every 2 or 3 days respectively. This wouldn't necessarily fix snowballing, but it would dampen it a tiny bit by making everyone more mortal (and would also give you the opportunity of playing as your heir).

A possible fix to snowballing that they should've already implemented is making lords stay in newly conquered settlements for a bit (like maybe 5 days, I haven't planned it out much) to provide defences, put some garrisoning units and help stabilise with increasing the auto recruited garrisons & militia (+security & loyalty via perks). This wouldn't even be a synthetic way of slowing down conquests, because right now, lords don't stay nor leave any garrisoning troops so a random schmuck with 50 troops starts besieging the newly captured settlement and takes it back half of the time.

A late-game invasion is also a possible avenue, but I honestly dislike it because in general such mechanics are likely to be either too overdone/grindy or too pointless. I think potentially the late game issue can be made "better" through adding a retirement option to the sandbox that gives you a score like it did in warband and writes an epilogue for your character/clan based on what you accomplished (e.g., the amount of large battles won, the amount of successful sieges, your social status, your clan tier, your clan wealth, your traits, your marital status & number of kids etc.). The game's goal isn't necessarily to paint the map with your colours but rather leaving your mark on Calradia by making your own story. Most people don't play EU4 or CK3 for world conquest for example since the map is too large and the amount of years you can play are limited.

Last edited:
Yeah true. Personally I would love to see spears and thrust attacks in general be a lot more powerful. They're supposed to be way faster and have longer reach than swinging, but in the game its just painfully slow and ineffective.
Agreed.
Well that's the issue, isn't it? You can't simulate a few guys pinning down a knight and holding a dagger to his eye slot. If they're wearing even heavy jackets let alone mail, what can that knight do when rushed? Good luck slicing open even a hand me down scavenged mail shirt.
But you said "4-5 looters", originally. Looters don't wear mail, just tattered cloth rags.

In a different scenario where a knight is rushed by 5 men who are wearing scavenged mail shirts, I agree that lone knight should not be able to defeat them.

Quoting more than one Taleworlds dev - "we want fast paced" combat. Those are their words not mine or anyone else's.

goes to show that the TW devs haven't got the first clue as to who plays their game.

most of the most popular mods out there add MORE realism to the game, not LESS.

the devs think they are catering to 14 y/o in a playstation when in reality i'd bet most players of bannerlord are seasoned pc gamers who don't have an interest in fortnite

goes to show that the TW devs haven't got the first clue as to who plays their game.

most of the most popular mods out there add MORE realism to the game, not LESS.

the devs think they are catering to 14 y/o in a playstation when in reality i'd bet most players of bannerlord are seasoned pc gamers who don't have an interest in fortnite
For the few people who mod their games like that, true. But for the vast majority, that would be counter productive. You don't fine tune your game for the 0.2% "hardcore" players. Most of those who want "more realism" also want the Byzantines to wear 2nd century Lorica segmentata and the Normans to wear 16th century plate armor and the Rus to be 8th century "Vikings" at the same time.

You want more realism? Prepare to be a serf for 20 generations because that's what you're statistically going to be. The very idea that some guy can start recruiting and then be the ruler of the entire world in 20 years is a fast paced power fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom