Plastic and food preperation. Dioxins. Cancer. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob de Hard

Sergeant
I got a circular email about this from someone the other day and it struck a chord.

The sheer number of times I've had hot food coming from styrene, plastic containers etc.

It always struck me as kinda dumb: plastic is full of dioxins and other carcenogens. Which is why you don't inhale plastic fumes when its burning .. or incinerate plastic .. which is still done everywhere btw! The sheer inefficieny of waste management means quantities of plastic and other oil/synthetic packaging and rubbish finds its way into the incinerators.

Dioxins are well documented but are just ONE of the carcenogenic components in plastic.

So yeah, for anyone who might have never really given this any thought: it seems a good thing to emphasise.

Don't use  plastic wrap/cellophane/cling film to cover glass containers in the microwave? Another common practice .. micro waves are beamed through the plastic, agitating the molecules, heating
it up, and releasing all manner of nasty stuff into your food through the condensation that collects on the underside.

Basically anything that contains plastic has no business coming into contact with food! Hot food put into tupperware, hot drinks served into plastic cups off the top of flasks, styrene food trays for
takeout food etc etc etc etc. The list is endless. Even plastic forks!

There's a big movement about how bottled water is also a cancer risk in this regard, but I haven't done any research into what empirical evidence there is on the subject: but it does seem logical. Direct sunlight, hot cars etc will agitate the plastic and could cause transfer or seepage into the fluids. This isn't just mineral water obviously: coke, coffee etc. Anything in a plastic bottle or container.

How hot is hot enough to cause issues? No idea. Microwaves obviously, but is boiling water or heated food hot enoigh? If the bottled water thing has any scientific basis, then yeah tbh, you are risking your health.

You can take it as far as you like, you really aren't being hysterical. Whether or not the levels are sufficient to cause any real increase in cancer risk is debtable, but as I said, the dangers of dioxins have been known for a long time now. Birth defects, mutations, chronic ilnesses, cancer etc.

tl;dr completely. However, I know what you're saying, and I agree.

In short, hard plastics are safer, extremely pliable ones are super-toxic. So Nalgenes are safer than Dasani.

Overeating, even without being obese is the single biggest killer in my opinion.

Food = premature death.

Just my totally unqualified opinion. :smile:

I've never been able to eat 3 meals a day, ever. I just can't digest that much food. Yet the nutritionists would have me gobbling down literally pounds of fruit and vegetables etc.

Does anyone eat that much??

I have coffee and a piece of fruit in the morning and a balanced meal in the evening. That's IT.

Rob de Hard said:
Overeating, even without being obese is the single biggest killer in my opinion.

Food = premature death.

I've never been able to eat 3 meals a day, ever. I just can't digest that much food. Yet the nutritionists would have me gobbling down literally pounds of fruit and vegetables etc.

I have coffee and a piece of fruit in the morning and a balanced meal in the evening. That's IT.

I chomped down enough food for 3 people during cross country season, every day.

I still eat alot, but not as much. I need to start working out again or I will gain a couple unnecessary pounds.

A **** said:
Rob de Hard said:

Food = premature death.

I chomped down enough food for 3 people during cross country season, every day.

I still eat alot, but not as much. I need to start working out again or I will gain a couple unnecessary pounds.

Of course you eat a lot, you run cross country. I think most people who maintain a high level of rigorous physical activity eat quite a lot.

Everything will kill you, because nothing known to us can help us biologically be born a second time. It's from drawing in breath to excretion of waste. It'll all play a purpose of killing you. Some, like sustenance, just prolongs your suffering.

I'm already avoiding: smoking tobacco, deep-fried chips especially from McDonalds, sunbeds, over-exposure to the sun, inhaling other peoples second hand smoke, certain types of radiation, using my mobile phone for long periods of time, radio masts and microwaves. I'll be damned if I'm avoiding plastic too.

Bisphenol A might even  be worse then the scent of burning tobacco, maybe even more deadly then the mobile phone or microwaves.

Don't matter to me. Almost all of what I eat is cooked from fresh, apart from things like pasta (that comes dried in a packet) and tins of tomatoes or mushy peas, or random quorn products from the freezer.

plastic is full of dioxins and other carcenogens
you don't inhale plastic fumes when its burning
Cooking fail, if their food is hot enough at the end that it can actually cause styorofoam to combust :lol:
micro waves are beamed through the plastic, agitating the molecules, heating
it up, and releasing all manner of nasty stuff into your food through the condensation that collects on the underside.
In other words, toxic nuclears given off by microwave generaterons cause antimoleculars to develop in your chi-waves
300px-718smiley.svg.png

One big anti-technology rant written by someone who needs a good smack around the head with the science stick.

Cymro said:
plastic is full of dioxins and other carcenogens
you don't inhale plastic fumes when its burning
Cooking fail, if their food is hot enough at the end that it can actually cause styorofoam to combust :lol:
micro waves are beamed through the plastic, agitating the molecules, heating
In other words, toxic nuclears given off by microwave generaterons cause antimoleculars to develop in your chi-waves
300px-718smiley.svg.png

One big anti-technology rant written by someone who needs a good smack around the head with the science stick.

Damn you for getting here first.

So now I'm supposed to be scared of ****ing plastic as well? Why is this world full of pussies? Why can't it have less people pussies and more pussyo pussies?

Back
Top Bottom