On Its Own Merits: No Excuses

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyrage said:
Can't compare a game like daikatana....it was poorly implemented, rushed etc etc...
Though, people very well could have disliked it as much as that guy might dislike Mount & Blade. Ion Storm didn't wow everyone by asking the fans how the could not screw it up.

That ain't the same thing now...most of the dislike for Daikatana was for the reasons I stated above...if there were any other reasons then those should be stated...

This guy didn't state any reasons to WHY this game is bad...he just said it was bad without backing it up with some real reasons...crap GFX is only a very tiny reason to give...weak at that, since GFX hardly matters when it comes to gameplay...yes, gfx isn't en-par with today's games, but so what? Ppl still play. So bad gfx can't be a good enough reason. Now if he had said anything about game mechanics, gameplay etc, then people would've taken it into account and respond more friendly...

On top of that this game isn't even complete, it's clearly labeled as a BETA game still which means there are tons of things that can be added and improved...that also matters (assuming one knows how to read a website/MB for info)

Trash the graphics! Trash the sounds! Trash the gameplay! The only thing that matters is that the game is fun to play. Even if the game is about a ball jumping on other balls with lowsy graphics and poor controls it can still be a good game (for you). That is if you had/have fun playing it. If the eye candy makes game fun to play so be it. For me a game can't be truly fun if it doesn't have a good game play. Dunno about others.

You know, I gotta say that sometimes you people make me wonder what you're smoking. Everyone thinks this game is the second coming of Jesus H. Christ himself. And if someone doesn't agree, well, he/she is a moron and is only trashing the game, right?

If you look at the game objectively, it doesn't quite deliver yet. Yes, I'm aware its in beta-state. And yes, I did buy this game. And yes, its not the best thing in the world after sliced bread.

But everyone here IMO has to admit that after a point, the game gets VERY repetive and, quite frankly, doesn't have anymore to give. When you are at a point where you can hack a party of 40-50 mountain bandits, or 20-30 black knights, you have nothing more to accomplish. Also, lots of bugs that even crash the game.

And yes, it does have great potential.

Skyrage said:
This guy didn't state any reasons to WHY this game is bad...he just said it was bad without backing it up with some real reasons...crap GFX is only a very tiny reason to give...weak at that, since GFX hardly matters when it comes to gameplay...yes, gfx isn't en-par with today's games, but so what? Ppl still play. So bad gfx can't be a good enough reason. Now if he had said anything about game mechanics, gameplay etc, then people would've taken it into account and respond more friendly...
Some people care about different things than you do. I don't believe I'm saying that to someone else. Some people might have GFX on the top of their list.
RJii said:
You know, I gotta say that sometimes you people make me wonder what you're smoking. Everyone thinks this game is the second coming of Jesus H. Christ himself. And if someone doesn't agree, well, he/she is a moron and is only trashing the game, right?

If you look at the game objectively, it doesn't quite deliver yet. Yes, I'm aware its in beta-state. And yes, I did buy this game. And yes, its not the best thing in the world after sliced bread.

But everyone here IMO has to admit that after a point, the game gets VERY repetive and, quite frankly, doesn't have anymore to give. When you are at a point where you can hack a party of 40-50 mountain bandits, or 20-30 black knights, you have nothing more to accomplish. Also, lots of bugs that even crash the game.

And yes, it does have great potential.
crucifix-fancy_1947_2.5-150.jpg

DEVIL BE GONE

^_^

RJii said:

People have opinions. The problem is when people give no reason to explain their opinion- blindly saying this game is 'bad' and 'weak' is trashing the game. There are better ways to go about these matters than to simply outright say the game 'sucks' or it is horrible: Talk about thing things that you do like and explain why. Talk about the things that you don't like and give suggestions on how they can be improved. This requires one thing, however, that some trashtalkers lack- caring. Most people who bash a game don't care about it whatsoever, and it would be more productive if they went to play a game/ socialize in a community where they do care.

From certain posters I get the impression that they do not care about the game, and are merely posting on these forums to interfere with others.

I agree with most of what you said- I'm not trying to prove anything, just stating my opinion :wink:.

Instag0 said:
People have opinions. The problem is when people give no reason to explain their opinion- blindly saying this game is 'bad' and 'weak' is trashtalking the game. There are better ways to go about these matters than to simply outright say the game 'sucks' or it is horrible: Talk about thing things that you do like and explain why. Talk about the things that you don't like and give suggestions on how they can be improved.

Yep, I agree. Saying something is "bad" or "sucks" doesn't have any value. But I have to ask, does saying something is "good" or "r0xMYB0x0rz" have any more merit to it, if said without telling why? I don't think so.

We come to a thing called "fanboy syndrome" (hope I spelled syndrome correctly). If you love a game and don't see its faults and don't even want to see them, then you have nothing to give to the game. If you bash everyone at the forums who say something negative about the game, you have nothing to give.

But, when you love the game, admit it has some faults (I know that can be hard) and are willing to discuss them, thats when you have something to give. Maybe I just have been reading too many "Omg I L0v3 this game11!!" posts on this forum and wanted to voice another opinion.

Heh! I can't understand how the graphics of a beta game (nowhere near finished can be compared to any finished article. It's nothing to do with the game looking like something from the eighties, it's simply the game looks like a game that hasn't been finished yet!

What you are playing is the beta form of the game, the graphics are being added as I speak (or rather when I don't speak and get modelling! :wink: )

Armagan's only just added pixel shaders etc and he's continuously working on developer tools so that even more content can be added.

As for me I'm delighted with all comments, critical or congratulatory, I don't think anyone here is naive enough to consider the graphics, the plot , or indeed the game a finished article.

I think the fact that you are getting bored once you reach level 50 etc is not a sign that the game is boring, rather an indication of how addictive the game really is - you've probably just put 40 hours of play into a game that hasn't even had a plot added yet! Just you wait until it's all done!

Anyway, here's a wee sneak peek of the hall I've been working on - still bits to add - but all the characters/furniture/torches etc will be added separately...

hall.jpg

Hopefully I can improve the graphics to match the game's playability!

That hall is looking good alphabeta. :smile: I model myself a little bit (being only 14, of course :razz:), and I'd love to do that later in my spare time as well. If I may ask, what program are you using to create the graphics? I use LightWave. :grin:

Lhorkan: I use almost everything really - I'm trained in max, maya, blender, photoshop, psp, zbrush, softimage, several custom tools. It just depends what I'm doing and what my company is focusing on - I haven't used lightwave much, though it's a very competent tool as well! If you're looking for low budget tools then cinema 4d is a pretty good package too.

Ilex: heh! yeah I guess something along those lines! There's still plenty of stuff needed to fill it up though!

Ancientwanker: Well you might get 60 guards charging at you if you draw your sword in there... oh wait you regularly have 60 guards charging after you!

looking awesome alphabeta77 :grin:

I actually think the graphics are great already. I've seen games with much worse graphics doing good. after alphabeta77 post, it will only get better apparently :smile:

i stopped playing video games at battlefield 1942.

the graphics are fine compared to that

One of the ongoing arguments in the American gaming industry is concerning "Art versus Content". According to the 'experts' graphics wins the day, and players can then go seek their OWN level of content.

I disagree with this assessment completely. Graphics, to me, SELLS the product initially. However, if there is no reasonable level of game play, the graphics get old fast, and the game is shelved.

The best games I ever played were the Civilization series, mostly, and Star Wars: Rebellion. To this day I still play these games. They have replayability, and enough level of randomness with each startup, that they have held my attention for years.

I want to go play one right now!

Truthfully, FUN is what it's all about.

Why does Runescape, for example, have a larger subscription base than Star Wars Galaxies?

These may be MMOs, but the principle still exists. Runescape is graphically inferior to Galaxies by 2 generations, yet is so much more fun to play, that more people want to play Runescape.

Given that the creator of Galaxies is also the one that pushes the 'Art versus Content' issue, I'm not surprised.

GAMEPLAY is what it's all about. A GOOD game is one that stands the test of time.

Warhammer 40k might be an AWESOME game, but it has little replayability, and therefore I got bored with it by the end of the first week testing the product. It is uninstalled.

Rebellion remains top of my list.

Therefore, in my opinion, a game should have at least an adequate set of graphics comparable to the latest junk on the market, in order to generate those initial sales, but also an extensive concentration on fun game play perhaps to a fault. THIS is where the word spreads, and the game achieves success. Replayability.

Ar@nath said:
Skyrage said:
Aranath VS Pavlov

Round 1

FIGHT!

P.S

I'm betting $5 on a flawless victory for Pavlov :razz:

Anonymouse Proxy with 14,000,000 possible combinations = I win.

Kthx.

You didn't like being unable to flame/retard the boards and you were banned for it.

Now you respond with more childish behavior which does nothing to further your cause, or theirs.

Sounds like a disgruntled SOE developer to me. That, or an 8 year old.

Give it a rest. Find something else to do. If you don't like the game, you don't like it end of story. Try Warhammer. That should keep you occupied for a few days...

I was going to shut up. But after reading this:
PS: Mount & Blade is gay.
You are very mature person yourself... aren't you. (Although I have nothing against people being immature. Hell I am so I don't have much chance to hate "em" anyway). You SHOULD not put childish content in a post where you are trying to prove another person immature (a gentle hint). Atleast if you are going to make any effect but laughter. And what is wrong with 16-year-olds and their additudes? The thing I can't understand is why you make such response to pavlov's reasonable request. After all basing our statements/arguements is the basis of "intelligent conversation", as pavlov seemingly knows and is politely asking you to follow that guide-line. He is NOT saying "stFU n00b 0R I'LL K1CK B4N U".

Back
Top Bottom