Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Making spaceships.

kihraxzlightfighter8.jpg

rgcotl said:
wheene@
as i know openBRF curently cant import OBJ vertex colors
so you havet to import ply files with if i am not wrong are the only one with curently can import vertex colors in BRF
The OBJ format specification doesn't talks about any vertex coloring.
There may be some unofficial variants out there, but technically that feature isn't supported.

On the other hand, Ply supports them out of the box in any program.

Great job thus far!  I like how the polycount's come down and the it's really starting to come together  :smile:

You should probably break it up to use multiple textures for the final object, so that you don't hit resolution walls quite so often.  Even if it's intended to be used for realtime use, a ship that's meant to be presented at scale and close views can use 5-6 1024s and a lot of sub-parts without it being an issue.

I think my main nit-pick about resolution is that the boards aren't accurate and feel far too large for the scales.  Amongst other things, the nails through the plates on the carvel hull would be along the rib lines, without any fasteners otherwise.  The caulk they used probably wouldn't stain the boards, but the caulk lines should be noticeable.

Also, the masts for a vessel this size would generally be pine; it'd be nice to see more attention paid to the materials employed and how they'd look when used. 

A lot of these surfaces would have been painted as a matter of course, so depictions of the materials becomes pretty important; working with the specular is probably critical to nailing the look.

nemeruis said:
Very nice! I loved the texture.

http://p3d.in/uyuoU

Trying to complete the texture.Comments are always appreciated =)

Coming along nicely, Nemerius :smile: Follow xeno suggestions and you´ll have a very good looking ship at the end. But remove the steering wheel, a ship of this size would have had a tiller.

For a realistic colour scheme, you can browse the NMM, they have tons of contemporary paintings online:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;dateMadeCentury=18;searchTerm=sloop%252C_painting;start=0

And your rigging doesn´t make a lot of sense at the moment, if you want your ship to look realistic, you´ll need to find a good rigging plan for a cutter.

Edit:

improving my pics/text ratio :razz:

BP1.jpg

BP2.jpg

@ Kocken, nice, I really like it. Whats it for may I ask?

I've been modelling some army pants for my mod. Here are a few pics, I'm quite pleased with them :smile:

mb35p.jpg

mb36z.jpg

mb38i.jpg

mb40jy.jpg

Criticisms welcome  :grin:

Nice pants there! I totally suck at modelling and texturing clothes.

I don't know if I posted this east-german inspired helmet:

hk01.jpg

I still need to add some chin straps and other thingies.

@La Grandmaster:  Great work on the pants :smile: 

Overall, these are winners :smile:

I love the scene; can't wait to see some zombies, country girls in Daisy Dukes, shotguns and so on and so forth :smile:

From technical angle, they look good, although I think you might get better rigging results if you watch your segmentation on the knee area a bit.

The big issue, though, is clothing with a mix of skin.  Given that this doesn't look like a mass-army mod (or if there is a mass, it is not these guys) you might want to consider implementing the clothes as full costume sets, using the boots slot or even the gloves slot, covering a complete, near-naked body mesh.  If you need a body mesh, I could probably arrange for the one I built awhile ago to be made available (finally); you'd have to unwrap and skin it yourself, but it'd give you a solid start (it's higher resolution than the TW one).

While this approach has some major disadvantages, it would allow for lots of different skin tones, which might beat out just having Redneck White Guys.  If the Rednecks aren't super-numerous, it would be fine, from a performance perspective, and it would give a better result overall, because you could just swap clothing sets and everything else would get handled engine-side.  It's a little harder to rig; clipping becomes more of a challenge.

Anyhow, that's just a thought; I can see the pros and cons of doing everybody as white guys to save a little time, but I think that in the end it'd probably be a better mod if you can see some skin on people with different skin tones and have it work well. 

It'd also take care of the other major issue, which is that putting AO onto the pants means they won't look good with t-shirts, etc.; if you build tops and pants as separate items but bring them together via multi-mesh to build outfits, you can produce a bunch of outfits and then throw them on the bodies and do vertex AO on each assemblage, avoiding those issues.

The other option is to include racial variants for all the skin tones and build full-body outfits.  That will get a little complicated to script but it's not hard on the art end.  I'd just like to see people of all colors; even in Redneck Country, U.S.A. (where I live) there are quite a few people who aren't white, and the mod will probably have a broader appeal if everybody's represented.

It's a pity that skin tones only get sent to the bare body parts; if that uniform was sent to everything, it'd really make this kind of look easier to work with.

@Xeno, thanks, means a lot coming from a modeller such as you  :grin:  I agree with the bit about the rigging, the rigging on these is just copied and pasted

xenoargh said:
you might want to consider implementing the clothes as full costume sets, using the boots slot or even the gloves slot, covering a complete, near-naked body mesh.  If you need a body mesh, I could probably arrange for the one I built awhile ago to be made available

I hadn't even thought about doing this to be honest. It would make a lot of things much easier and look better, the main thing that worries me however is the rigging and clipping issues. Im not brilliant at rigging and I imagine this method would require a lot of custom rigging to prevent clipping issues. That offer of a body mesh sounds brilliant though, the thought of having to create a new one from scratch puts me off the idea completely.

I had also planned on having people with different skin tones in the mod, I was planning on using face codes to set up say 3 different types of skin tones, I've used these before but (in the veiled stars for orcs) and there far from perfect, you end up with an average looking result.

OK, lemme see about the "naked guy"; IIRC, he's not extraordinarily well-rigged atm and I may as well make him decent before inflicting him on others.  That may take a bit, I'm kind of in the middle of a bunch of other stuff.  But I guess it's finally time to make those meshes available along with the Wings source, as I originally intended.

It would require pretty close correlation in rigging weights to prevent really obvious clipping, this is true. 

It's one of the reasons why it's a bit harder to pull off.  I wish the engine wasn't such a pain about these things, sending a uniform is not a big deal.

La Grandmaster said:
@ Kocken, nice, I really like it. Whats it for may I ask?

I've been modelling some army pants for my mod. Here are a few pics, I'm quite pleased with them :smile:

mb35p.jpg

mb36z.jpg

mb38i.jpg

mb40jy.jpg

Criticisms welcome  :grin:

thanks, it is for a school assignment. here is an update
ironmant.png
(there are a lot of things that Im not to happy about and that I'm going to change). texture is a placeholder.

Back
Top Bottom