Not getting stunned when attacks bounce off armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

See title,

Hate it when a spammer gets a free kill when my initial attack bounced off him. I'm ok with my attack doing no damage when it bounces off but still, I feel that he should at least get stunned a bit..

This was changed years ago because people got tired of stunlock. It can be handled via modding, so it shouldn't be hard to customize a server to do this for you. If I recall the setting is right in module.ini

Who cares about modding it, no ones going to play it. I agree with OP, especially when the attack is actually a legitimate hit and not just a clip with the edge of the sword.

I agree with the OP, especially now that attacks seems to bounce off more frequently then before.

Hyperion said:
So you'd rather have a bunch of unarmed guys taking down someone with armour with their fists?
Because that's what was happening before the current system got included.

+1

I hate stunlocks.

Hyperion said:
So you'd rather have a bunch of unarmed guys taking down someone with armour with their fists?
Because that's what was happening before the current system got included.

1. Block 1 Attack
2. Kill Guy
3. ???
4. Profit

You'd probably need to make it only work with actual weapons though.

I agree with the op. With all the random movements during melee fights, it's pretty stupid to be killed because of that, like a random bad luck death. It encourages spamming, making it work sometimes.
Whiffing blows are needed for less loltipofthebladeonyourlittletoe, but it should give you enough time to block nonetheless.

Attacks bouncing off without flinching can be a problem atm, but they shouldn't be taken away completely. It's a fine concept in itself, the issue with it is that too many attacks bounce off. Just set the threshold for flinching lower, and it will be fine. The worst of worst hits still shouldn't do any damage, methinks.

Actually, I'm not sure that it's the threshold that changed recently (in 1.127 or so), but rather a larger damage penatly for hitting early or late in the swing arc. Not a bad thing in itself, but it can be quite an issue for onehanders, especially when fighting armoured opponents. Your aim has to be quite perfect.

I don't think the current way Warband handles this is unrealistic though. Frustrating, yes, but onehanders are supposed to have a hard time with the best armours.

And you still have enough time to get the block up usually. Especially if you use footwork to make his attack long and yours short.

Mr.X said:
And you still have enough time to get the block up usually. Especially if you use footwork to make his attack long and yours short.

Not if they are spamming, their second attack will be on the way as your attack bounces off. If they have an especially spammy weapon its even worse as you have to turn more to get your hit in first and therefore increasce the chance of a bounce-off.

I think it would be fairer if they changed it so the stun was based on damage before armour penalty is applied as well as damage after. Like this:
1. Your swing hits enemy
2. Total Damage > X? Stun Them if Yes
3. Apply Armour Penalty
4. Resulting Damage > Y? Stun them if Yes and they are not already stunned
With this if you got a decent hit on a guy with a sword, but did no damage he would still be stunned. But if you totally fluffed it the attack would bounce.

Mr.X said:
Assuming you timed it right, you have time for the block
Not at all times. It's fairly possible you attack when it's 'not your turn', so to speak. If an enemy is (feint)spamming, it can be effective to do a surprise attack, rather than blocking the whole time. If your attack then fails, you are pretty much screwed.

Mr.X said:
Assuming you timed it right, you have time for the block

Assuming you have timed it right you do enough damage to stun.
If it's your turn and he is just attacking your attack may hit 0.2s earlier than his, which I'm pretty sure is not enough to retreat the weapon and bring it into block position in time. This is how spam is balanced imo, if you just spam the opponent can hit you before you do and interrupt the attack.
I guess you can learn to create whiffs on purpose, but I've also had cases where he clearly didn't I hit him 3 times and in the end died just to an unlucky glance. It's acceptable imo but a little extreme also.

Back
Top Bottom