No way to level up a Companions Stats

Users who are viewing this thread

Let's be honest. I'm lazy. So I'm really enjoying the new clan system so I can send my companions off to complete repetitive quests so I can kill more bandits and sells boatloads of iron from Bryn Glas to Marunath for double the investment. However even though my companions are leveling up, they aren't gaining stat points in anything, so I can't send them to do certain quests like Family Feud which require 30 Charm and Deserters Extortion which requires 15 Two-handed. My companions have the capacity to reach level 30 Charm, but how do I make them improve relations, socialize with noble, or barter, to improve that skill. The other thing is that despite them leveling up I see no way to allocate attribute points or focus points or choose their perks. And before anyone says I do not have Auto Allocate Clan Member Perks Enabled. I just feel like I have very little control over my companions compared to Warband. Hopefully, these are just features that haven't been enabled yet, like everything else?

^ I think its really more a thing if you selected that you don't want perks automatically allocated. I'm not sure though, check campaign options.

If you go into your character screen (C) and at the top its either a dropdown or one of the arrows next to your character name you should be able to select your companions and equip them / allocate perks. Not tried it myself yet.

So I've tried disabling the Auto Allocate Clan Members Perks, but it still does it anyway. I can't allocate them manually.

Anyone else has this problem?

So I've tried disabling the Auto Allocate Clan Members Perks, but it still does it anyway. I can't allocate them manually.

Anyone else has this problem?
Yes, I have found one solution tho but it only works once. Load up a new game, rush to Poros and hire the companion there (if you can afford). You'll be able to allocate all their focus points and choose their perks. After the first in game day all other companions will auto allocate, unless they level in your party (but that will never happen).

Can't just be auto allocation. Ive had caravans run around for close to a year now and none of them has made a single skill point in trading

Also doesn't help that instead of handcrafted companions with a range of professions we seem to get like 80% generic warriors, 15% rogues and the rest split between scouts and medics

So you're saying the game always auto-allocates them, no matter if we enable/disable the auto-allocation?
As far as I know, yes. The whole leveling system seem to be bugged. 50% of perks dont work. Some categories don't level properly and it's impossible to level your companions in certain categories.

Honestly the pace of the leveling system would be okay if for instance you passed on some of your gained stats to children so over a few generations you'd have a high level playable character. However with the current snowballing most games are done by year 2 (before you even have a kid).

Can't just be auto allocation. Ive had caravans run around for close to a year now and none of them has made a single skill point in trading

Also doesn't help that instead of handcrafted companions with a range of professions we seem to get like 80% generic warriors, 15% rogues and the rest split between scouts and medics
Its bugged, like a bunch of other things. Companions and the skill system seem to have a lot atm

Let's be honest. I'm lazy. So I'm really enjoying the new clan system so I can send my companions off to complete repetitive quests so I can kill more bandits and sells boatloads of iron from Bryn Glas to Marunath for double the investment. However even though my companions are leveling up, they aren't gaining stat points in anything, so I can't send them to do certain quests like Family Feud which require 30 Charm and Deserters Extortion which requires 15 Two-handed. My companions have the capacity to reach level 30 Charm, but how do I make them improve relations, socialize with noble, or barter, to improve that skill. The other thing is that despite them leveling up I see no way to allocate attribute points or focus points or choose their perks. And before anyone says I do not have Auto Allocate Clan Member Perks Enabled. I just feel like I have very little control over my companions compared to Warband. Hopefully, these are just features that haven't been enabled yet, like everything else?
giving your men equipment allows them to increase their combat skills
same for athletics and riding.

setting them as your clan healer increases their healing skill
setting them as your clan scout increases scouting skill
setting them as your clan engineer increases healing skill
setting them as your clan quartermaster i am guessing will increase their steward skill? did not try seting a quartermaster

i am guessing that charm, tactics and roguery increase if you make them a party leader, it allowes them to raid caravans (roguery) and release come to the aid of lords in battle (charm) and win battles at difficult ods etc (tactics)

not sure about any of the other skills

caravans not giving exp is a bug, this will be fixed eventually

setting them as your clan quartermaster i am guessing will increase their steward skill? did not try seting a quartermaster

It does, *but* the caveat is that if they don't have a single skill point allocated to the trait line (i.e intelligence) then they don't gain anything whatsoever, of it's to a level too low to be useful. I tried my best to get one of my companions to be a steward. While mine passively hit 80, if I assigned *them* as the quartermaster they gained only to a certain (too low to be useful) level, and then never advanced / gained any more XP whatsoever. And you can't give them a point in it (or a +ve increase in training rate)... because they level so slowly that after 10 hours I still can't allocate a +1 to the rate of xp gain. So it... goes nowhere.

So yes, you can get their traits to increase, but if you need to allocate something to make it happen, it aint happening. At least after 10+ hours of non stop battles, it didn't happen.

It does, *but* the caveat is that if they don't have a single skill point allocated to the trait line (i.e intelligence) then they don't gain anything whatsoever, of it's to a level too low to be useful. I tried my best to get one of my companions to be a steward. While mine passively hit 80, if I assigned *them* as the quartermaster they gained only to a certain (too low to be useful) level, and then never advanced / gained any more XP whatsoever. And you can't give them a point in it (or a +ve increase in training rate)... because they level so slowly that after 10 hours I still can't allocate a +1 to the rate of xp gain. So it... goes nowhere.

So yes, you can get their traits to increase, but if you need to allocate something to make it happen, it aint happening. At least after 10+ hours of non stop battles, it didn't happen.

again i have no experience with stewards / quartermaster but i got my healer to go from 60 to 101 now, so it is certainly increasing. i was not able to pick the skills she got though (sadly she chose the doctors oath instead of mobile aid *cries* )

Edit: the steward skill increases by having food variety, do you have that? my own skill hardly increases when i do not have that and it does increase when i have 4-5 food types/drinks so maybe you need more foodtypes to increase it.

giving your men equipment allows them to increase their combat skills
same for athletics and riding.

i am guessing that charm, tactics and roguery increase if you make them a party leader, it allowes them to raid caravans (roguery) and release come to the aid of lords in battle (charm) and win battles at difficult ods etc (tactics)

not sure about any of the other skills

caravans not giving exp is a bug, this will be fixed eventually
I think the engineer class increase engineer skill when you join sieges
the quartermaster indeed increase the steward skill, even faster when your companion have high Int (such as healer)

again i have no experience with stewards / quartermaster but i got my healer to go from 60 to 101 now, so it is certainly increasing. i was not able to pick the skills she got though (sadly she chose the doctors oath instead of mobile aid *cries* )

Edit: the steward skill increases by having food variety, do you have that? my own skill hardly increases when i do not have that and it does increase when i have 4-5 food types/drinks so maybe you need more foodtypes to increase it.

Think you misunderstand.

They do increase *if* they can increase. So on character screen, there's attribute points and focus points - whereby attribute points are invested into the overall lines (e.g. Intelligence, social, endurance) and the focus points affect the learning rate for (under intelligence) Steward, Medicine, Engineering.

So if they have ZERO attribute points in an attribute, at the rate their XP gains in order to get an attribute point it (essentially) never happens. My game ended due to the blobbing of the Empire, and in the entire duration to that point not a single of my 6 associates gained an attribute point.

I am not aware we can preview the potential companions attributes before hiring them though, maybe this could have been avoided. However, even having (is it willlowsomething as medic?) she has no skill points to Steward despite starting with 40 or 60 Medicine. So trying to get her to level up steward (as she already had intelligence attribute points assigned, so just a case of needing focus points accumulating and investing) as well got her to about 18... and then no more no matter what happened. Why? Because there's no focus points to invest in stewardship in order to get her to learn past the imposed cap.

So the skill points increase the rate, but there's a cap limit on where you can go. No other companion had a single attribute point allocated to intelligence, so she seemed the best option to additionally level up. Just getting focus points for companion was equally impossible as attribute points.

Hopefully that clears it up? Basically, unless you find specific companions with specific attributes assigned and specific skill points assigned, you're screwed in being able to train one to perform as a role.

So why have roles and be assignable? The intent is good/fine, but the current balance is decidedly undermining it. I'm sure it's a bug as the grind otherwise is basically utterly insane to achieve it.

Think you misunderstand.

They do increase *if* they can increase. So on character screen, there's attribute points and focus points - whereby attribute points are invested into the overall lines (e.g. Intelligence, social, endurance) and the focus points affect the learning rate for (under intelligence) Steward, Medicine, Engineering.

So if they have ZERO attribute points in an attribute, at the rate their XP gains in order to get an attribute point it (essentially) never happens. My game ended due to the blobbing of the Empire, and in the entire duration to that point not a single of my 6 associates gained an attribute point.

I am not aware we can preview the potential companions attributes before hiring them though, maybe this could have been avoided. However, even having (is it willlowsomething as medic?) she has no skill points to Steward despite starting with 40 or 60 Medicine. So trying to get her to level up steward (as she already had intelligence attribute points assigned, so just a case of needing focus points accumulating and investing) as well got her to about 18... and then no more no matter what happened. Why? Because there's no focus points to invest in stewardship in order to get her to learn past the imposed cap.

So the skill points increase the rate, but there's a cap limit on where you can go. No other companion had a single attribute point allocated to intelligence, so she seemed the best option to additionally level up. Just getting focus points for companion was equally impossible as attribute points.

Hopefully that clears it up? Basically, unless you find specific companions with specific attributes assigned and specific skill points assigned, you're screwed in being able to train one to perform as a role.

So why have roles and be assignable? The intent is good/fine, but the current balance is decidedly undermining it. I'm sure it's a bug as the grind otherwise is basically utterly insane to achieve it.

When you talk to a potential companion, reject them and then search the Encyclopedia (n key) for their name. It tells you their best abilities so you can at least have an idea of what they're like before hiring them.

ah yeah i misunderstood, sorry.
but anyway why would you give someone a role they are not fit to do anyway?

Urgh, so it's not a problem with the game levelling at present, it's because I shouldn't want to diversify someones skill beyond "they can hit stuff hard".

Did you ever play warband, did you ever make your companions into lords? Ever give them additions to the traits they needed to be a lord?

And finally, because I just don't plain know if there are companions with required stats to fulfil every single role (or multiple of them who can), as I've found one medic and the other 8 are just hack and slash (maybe a rogue is most common non strength/weapon skill - but not relevant for steward, engineer or scout).

The idea of riding around the entire map into every pub to hire then fire companions in the search for "the one" is ... well. I leave it at that because if you think that's great gameplay and the idea of being able to train companions into roles isn't (why on earth give them attributes and skill points at all if you think we shouldn't be able to train them into roles though - just fix them and leave it?) then what's the point in explaining :grin:

We'll agree to disagree.

Did you ever play warband, did you ever make your companions into lords? Ever give them additions to the traits they needed to be a lord?
i did, i found it to be counter productive to "make" companions into lords, i just found the natural leaders and gave them the lordships. part of being a good leader is finding the right people for the right jobs.

Back
Top Bottom