nerf couch pls

Users who are viewing this thread

Just make it like warband
Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

Not to mention the ability to couch at low speeds, thus massively increasing precision and control.

Oh, and that you can also make sharp 90° turns while couching.

Would be far more balanced if couching was only possible at a maximum speed threshold, and any reduction of speed cancelled the couch lance. You know, kind of like Warband.

Just remove the feature completely or disable it for MP, in a fighting game like this a simple button press should never guarantee an instant kill, I already considered the couch mechanic crap and boring WB.

If this game should be better than warband, this is the first feature we should actually remove from the game in my opinion.
You have to ride fast and cant maneuver, thats how it should be and how it is good. Pressing a simple button goes for all attacks..

Couching in its current state is OP and dumb, either properly nerf it and make it a high risk - high reward attack or remove it from MP. Coming around a corner while pressing x shouldn't be rewarded.

In a crazy coincidence, the most interesting, balanced, historical and fun changes all happen to be the same change: Couched Lances should have durability.
Lances can remain nukes, but now a Lancer has to carefully consider his targets instead of backstabbing 50 peasants per game. The lance would turn into this game's rocket launcher, limited ammo, massive damage output, and would be infinitely more interesting to use and play against.
You can maybe one-shot an enemy knight hurtling towards you, but it could shatter your lance if you impact too hard. Do you go for the high-value targets with harder armor that are moving faster, or do you go for squishy archer targets to wear down your lance then break it on a Khan's Guard head?
This opens up perk selection, with a backup lance now being an important consideration. You could go nuts with double-sided lances, which use the "pila flip" animation to swap to a lower-damage, shorter version once the primary head is gone.
This is of course, vaporware daydreaming, and will not happen in Bannerlord.

The best solution we could possibly get is nerfing damage with a cooldown timer, to simulate the lance having durability, rather than just implementing the arguably simpler and more interesting durability itself.

Last edited:
My thinking is:
- Damage is ok
- It should have a couldown after succesful hit, simulating that your arm weakened due to impact
- Maybe a 1.5-2 seconds into couche stance for it to 'be ready' like archers need to draw the arrow before loosing so you dont just press x = instant hit
- A penalty to horse maneuver after the 2 second threshold and making you go full throttle (simulating couche as a full charge, but this maybe sounds odd)

My thinking is:
- Damage is ok
- It should have a couldown after succesful hit, simulating that your arm weakened due to impact
- Maybe a 1.5-2 seconds into couche stance for it to 'be ready' like archers need to draw the arrow before loosing so you dont just press x = instant hit
- A penalty to horse maneuver after the 2 second threshold and making you go full throttle (simulating couche as a full charge, but this maybe sounds odd)
I almost forgot that 3rd suggestion was a thing back then

Undoubtedly, couching is an action that brings out the aroma of cheese; however, rather than remove it, it would adapt. In warband we had very obtuse vertical arcs favouring a safe hit on most casts as we have in Bannerlord Native. Unlike Warband, Bannerlord has a much shorter cooldown than the former but with a much more bouncy waiting pitch.

That said, imho I think the solution to not removing this action would be to adapt it by nerfing the angles. Both the vertical manoeuvrability and horizontal rotation angles, I would define them much more acute. The player would have to use that pitching oscillation to make an accurate hit within a narrow range of accuracy. Here are some parameters which unfortunately we can only test in SP conditions; try them if you have the opportunity and desire.

I forgot to deactivate my mod Nostalgia Camera Tweak which affects the camera view; but does not affect the couching action.

In combat_parameters.xml​
Native​
Modified​
<def name="couched_lance_vertical_rot_limit" val="0.48" />
<def name="couched_lance_rider_look_down_limit" val="10" />
<def name="couched_lance_rider_rot_limit_left" val="48" />
<def name="couched_lance_rider_rot_limit_right" val="20" />
<def name="couched_lance_min_rider_rot_limit_left"val="43" />
<def name="couched_lance_min_rider_rot_limit_right" val="0" />
<def name="couched_lance_vertical_rot_limit" val="0.1" />
<def name="couched_lance_rider_look_down_limit" val="50" />
<def name="couched_lance_rider_rot_limit_left" val="40" />