naval combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Black Fox

Sergeant
I know its hard to get a mod out flawlessly but naval combat is messed up badly. The controls are not as stated (left is to board, up is to go starboard etc), the ship constantly turns left unless boarding and this happens:

Warband is updated to the latest version, this mod is best iv ever seen so keep up the good work cheers  :wink:

edit: also is it possible to get rid of destructible target text?

Phaiak can reply is better than me, but when two ships is near, they should boarding (one with other). I think that you missing animation here.

I want open a suggestions thread, can you add: also is it possible to get rid of destructible target text? here, and I will take look into at it?

Sorry, I have seen this, but had no time to reply until now.

Some of this problems maybe hang together with the "destructible target text". We should disable this next time.
The controls did work in the last beta. Left arrow should be port, right arrow starboard.
Known issues:
- The collision (intersecting) of the ships does not always work perfect
- Seabattle does not need many RAM but many CPU. Slow PCs can have flying agents.
The problems could be solved. But this would be many work.
If more people have problems with seabattles or have questions, then I can try to help.

+1 from me. The boat is constantly circling around itself and i can't seem to move it. The controls for me are the same as the OP, up is starboard, left is to board etc) and the ship doesn't really move, it just circles to the left.

Moreover, when i try to disembark with the option "Closer to the coast" then i press tab and i cant choose "Yes" or "No", i can only choose "Closer to the coast" again. The only way out is Ctrl Alt Del to end the game.

Edit: If i choose "Closer to the coast", then press tab and choose yes, the game crashes and a message appears: Can't position party on 255,317 (coordinates probably).

Edit 2: Can i just say, i think the ships are really slow i don't know if it could be changed.  :mrgreen:

i'm getting the same problems as the OP

also when i'm in a naval battle the ships eventually collide, all the fighters get thrown off, and the ships shoot off into the horizon and rubberband back.

Jonny712 said:
i'm getting the same problems as the OP
Thats strange. In the moment I can not download the release-version, to check this. But If anyone with the problems would like to help:
- please download this smal mod: http://www.mbrepository.com/download.php?id=2913&f=Klabautermann.zip
- try the custom-battle-mode
- write here, if you get the same problems

Yes! That works perfect no bugs at all  :grin: is it possible to animate the sails and add waves at some point? Or a stronger rocking motion in stormy weather?

The one you are offering for download is not a stand-alone mod right? We are supposed to copy the files into brytenwalda? Just checking to make sure.

Lamias said:
The one you are offering for download is not a stand-alone mod right? We are supposed to copy the files into brytenwalda? Just checking to make sure.

It is a stand-alone mod, brytenwalda is yet to be fixed.

Finaly I got the chance to test it. The ship works fine for me. Only the shown messages are wrong.
Strange bug. It seems like the game mixes all strings in this moment. And not only strings concerning the naval combat feature! Maybe there was just a problem in compiling...

I'll have to back up fellow posters in saying that the Naval Combat system is bugged for me.

In fact, it's the only game breaking bug I've encountered and I had to abandon a seriously awesome character because of said bugs. The ship I occupy refuses to move, it will simply spiral in circles, I get a battle won message every ten seconds of combat time and then it jumps straight back into the fight with no losses incurred for either side. I can't retreat, merely surrender so I lose out big time. The ship either veers to the left continuously or sits idle. One time, it wasn't there at all and I drowned like a fish out of water.

This really does break the game for me, especially as I was moving an army of over three hundred men to take the Isle of Mann for myself, suddenly to have to restart thanks to some stupid Dena Pirates who attacked me despite being outnumbered by almost 50 to 1.

When you board an enemy ship and kill everyone that's inside, how do you "un-board" to go board another ship? I always get stuck with an enemy ship and can't move to board another. :razz:

Is there any way to make the ships go a bit faster? It's really time-wearing and frustrating to attack a ship of pirates and have to wait 5-10 minutes until you reach their ship.

Black Fox said:
press k to board/un-board, has anyone tested out fire arrows on ships yet?

Will try now, are they supposed to burn the ship?

Sorry for double post, i just found the time to test naval combat and i think i need a new post for what i have to say. :razz:

So:

1) Keys are correct, it's just the commands that show wrong (arrow up is starboard for example)

2) When i am starting the battle, one or two of my soldiers are always stuck behind and they don't move with the ship. Instead, they are floating on the ocean like Jesus. http://imageshack.us/f/64/mb6q.jpg/ (One of my companions is the one behind)

3) When we come close to board, the enemy ship goes back and forth - back and forth at TREMENDOUS speed, so fast that the soldiers on it can't follow it, so it looks something like this: http://imageshack.us/f/339/mb7o.jpg/

4) After the two ships are united so the board can begin, my character always gets thrown off the boat (again at light speed) and gets drowned in the sea...: http://imageshack.us/f/844/mb10d.jpg/ (the same thing happens to many enemies, they are thrown off their boat and die in the sea.)

Edit: 5) Every 5-10 secs it says: battle won your enemies lie slaughtered etc etc. It appears in the screenshots. (minor bug, i just thought i 'd post it)

Fire arrows do not seem to do something for me, i shot all 40 of them and the ship didn't burn. I don't know if i am doing something wrong.

Any ideas? Maybe i should post all this to bug thread? :???:

Yeah i tried naval combat but nothing worked. It said i had won the battle after 1 minute or less. I tried to move, after a while my ship raced off into infinity at light speed killing everyone of my troops. When i finished the battle i had only lost 1 man or so, maybe a few more but not all of them anyways.

Many problems did not occur in the last beta. All the stuff according to the wrong messages (even the 'battle won'-message) is very strange. As I said, it is maybe an error in compiling, but no bug in the code. It did work in the last beta, so it will also work after the next patch.
I have posted a link to a very smal mod for custom-battle-mode. I hope Naval-combat will run after the next patch just like there. Maybe you can say, if you would like it, if it would run just like there?
Lamias said:
Any ideas? Maybe i should post all this to bug thread? :???:
1) and 5) - for any reason warband mixes the strings here
2) and 3) - would be great if some people could test this in the smal mod...
4) This is because of the fire-arrow-function in new brytwalda. We already have a solution.

Back
Top Bottom