OSP Medieval 3D Art Narf's Transitional Armour Pack (Updated 07/19/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

All I can tell you guys at this point is to try using the module system I included.  I've tried it on a clean Native install, and it works fine (so long as you have the latest version, from a few hours ago).  It's defaulted to write the items into your Native folder, though you can change that easily if you have python installed.  This will undo any other changes you've made to your game- you'd have to redo all other mods afterward.  I guess thems the breaks with adding heraldic items.  It's just not as simple as adding a line to the item-kinds1, I'm afraid. 

Also, if you're not going to bother with the heraldic armour, take out the reference in the item_kinds1 and reduce the item total at the top of the file by 1.

BTW, I believe the 'ter_border_a' message is a result of not increasing the numbers at the top of the meshes, and tableau_materials.

Happy to see that my tutorial has been useful. I think that your models are really awesome, and it would be really sad to not introduce banners on them.
But it's difficult to give OSP with heraldic armors, as they need some scripting for a good installation.
Even if this scripting is surprinsingly simple to do, even for beginners as me. I want to thanks Rucchi at new, for releasing the source of the mod "Fire arrow: Turn in inferno", as all the method I have described was obtained in reading this source.
Fo those who are looking for more information on the way to do heraldic armors, take an eye about this:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=121012.msg2922592#msg2922592

Here are some example of armours you can obtain, combined with the models of Narf (click to enlarge):

Milanese from Narf's Plate Armour Pack:

Gothic (Narf always):

Narf of Picklestink said:
BTW, I believe the 'ter_border_a' message is a result of not increasing the numbers at the top of the meshes, and tableau_materials.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I did increase the numbers, and I followed the directions to the word.
If anyone has any ideas at all, feel free to share. I'd hate to redo everything I put into my personal mod.

Seal_1- If you've done your mod with the module system, I can easily point out what you need to add to the script to get it working.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful to find a way to get it working for all you folks who don't want to touch the module system (for whatever reason- believe me, it's easier than editing the text).  I figured that if I got it working with the module system just fine, it must be possible to just paste the txt files that result.  I started by copy-pasting the 3 text files resulting from my edits of the module system.  I got errors.  OK, thought I, there must be other files affected by the edits other than just those I've changed.  So, I'm systematically going through all the txt files, copy-pasting them one by one into the mod folder, until I get it to work.  So far, I've found that the presentations file is also involved (adding the modified version of this file allows me to pick a banner, and start a game), though just pasting that one in alone results in new bugs.  So I'll keep trying them till it works, then get back to you.

Ok, I'm giving up on the idea of copy-pasting the heraldic armour into MnB.  It's going to have to be done via the module system.  I used a code comparing software to check all the txt files, and it looks like about a third of them are changed from the native ones.  So there are just going to be too many bugs this way.  Sorry about that folks. 

The good news is, the module system is not hard to use (hey, I made this work, after all).  So I'll have to rewrite the instructions for which lines to add in the modules.  You can also use the module system I've included in the download, though it will overwrite your native folder (I put it in there more as a reference). 

edit- instructions on first page updated

Hey Narf,

I'm currently using Diplomacy with both plate and transitional packs, but if I want to add the new heraldic armour, how would I go about doing that? Would using the module system break the mod?

FrisianDude said:
Yes, it would, unless you're adding his heraldic bits to the Diplomacy mod's module system.

Bugger. Never used the module system before, I have a feeling that it would be a real headache in the making.

It sounds like a bit of a stupid question, but where do the textures go? There is no instruction for them, so do we just leave them out, but without textures, surely nothing will show up?

Also, I've done a fresh install, followed the instructions to the dot. And I'm getting an RGL Error, Genuinely confused.

Cheers, Morts

Morts said:
It sounds like a bit of a stupid question, but where do the textures go? There is no instruction for them, so do we just leave them out, but without textures, surely nothing will show up?

Also, I've done a fresh install, followed the instructions to the dot. And I'm getting an RGL Error, Genuinely confused.

Cheers, Morts
Texture goes into Textures folder of the mod you are putting the pack in.

Morts said:
You put the .brfs in a resource folder, right? Go to the resource folder, then go to the folder the resource folder is in. There you see a 'textures' folder, stick the .dds files in there. :smile:

Seal_1 said:
Nordmann said:
FrisianDude said:
Yes, it would, unless you're adding his heraldic bits to the Diplomacy mod's module system.

Bugger. Never used the module system before, I have a feeling that it would be a real headache in the making.

Same problem here.

It's actually quite simple to use.  To put it into perspective, it took me about 15 minutes to get the heraldic armour working the first time round in my game by using the module system.  Conversely, I spent about three hours mucking around with the text files, trying unsuccessfully to accomplish the same thing.

doing it through the module system makes it that much easier,  though as i understand it here not many people use it if they are not modders themselves.

Seal_1 said:
Nordmann said:
FrisianDude said:

Same problem here.

It's actually quite simple to use.  To put it into perspective, it took me about 15 minutes to get the heraldic armour working the first time round in my game by using the module system.  Conversely, I spent about three hours mucking around with the text files, trying unsuccessfully to accomplish the same thing.

hmm... I guess I'll give it a shot and just redo my changes.

edit: Would it be possible to copy paste my troops.txt with my changes and the item_kinds1 back in once I've made the changes w/ the module system? (the items' numbers/order would stay the same)
edit II: If I am able to figure this out

The item kinds yes.  The troops, I'm not sure.  I think that file gets altered.  You can only know by trying.  I'd imagine if copy-pasting the file wholesale doesn't work, just adding the specific lines you made probably would.

Thanks.

Now I'm fairly sure that this is a very very stupid question,
but after I edit the py files, how do I get them into a mod (or an empty folder in the modules folder, for that matter)?

Edit the mudule_info file to set the mod directory.  Then once you're done your edits run 'build module'.  There's a great tutorial on it's own child board here somewhere (pioneers guild, or forge maybe).

Edit the mudule_info file to set the mod directory.  Then once you're done your edits run 'build module'.  There's a great tutorial on it's own child board here somewhere (pioneers guild, or forge maybe).

Good new is, that part worked, but the heraldic armors are now clear/invisible, and the heraldic early transitional is just plain white (can tell normal and heraldic apart because of the error message I get in game)

Thanks for the extra work creating that module system alternative, Narf. I think I'll simply avoid the heraldic armors from now on, though.

That said, does anyone know if you can edit your save game? One of my characters has the heraldic armor in his save and it doesn't load if I remove it (you can add to item_kinds but not remove if you want a working save). Not a big deal, but it'd be nice to be able to do so and avoid those script errors showing up when Narf's heraldic armors are present in the inventory screen.

Back
Top Bottom