Multiplayer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

tenor.gif

Maybe make the lances breakable after one or two hits depending on the speed it hits at and if it hits a vulnerable area or a shield/armour? This way they can be forced to stop to fight and can't just come and go endlessly and rack kills?

I've noticed the movement acc the most when trying to dodge couched lances, if you arent already moving its impossible to avoid a couched lance coming at you because the movement acc is so low. If you are already moving it suddenly becomes easy to avoid. It feels unbalanced compared to warband, but then again almost everything feels unbalanced in BL MP

Which one of those are cav mains? But yeah, sure, if a lot of people tend to have the same opinion it's definitely worth investigating, but I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing against accepting that as a fact simply because I'm in a minority, especially when provided arguments are flawed.
Take Peters word for it, who uninstalled the game with a 8,2 K/D because he thinks cavalry overall and especially that weapon is stupidly broken and not fun to play. I don't see where you have shown that our arguments are flawed, all you are saying is I don't think so and I need more information, both sentences that you can literally repeat forever.

Arguments for what? I'm not exactly stating anything here. I just found the provided arguments for the statement dubious and called it out. It's not exactly an argument that something is broken if you can use it against noobs. Show me the same great play against a stack of adequately skilled players and then we'll talk. That's why I insist that we need both ranked and tournaments before we start deciding what's broken and what's not.
Wrong, you are stating that the game and cavalry is well balanced, otherwise you wouldn't oppose the players that are saying they are not. Explain me how the skill level of your opponent comes into play then when you do so much damage with a single hit that your opponent instantly dies in most cases (as shown in the videos by Kawaii and jon). Are you arguing that a skilled player would never get hit? Adequately skilled player is yet another subjective term you are using in order to dodge the argument and deflect. Who is adequately skilled? What do you measure that by? Another term you can keep throwing at us forever.

No I'm not and I did in the past. It's just when your whole explanation consists of unbacked statements about "95% of the cases ", "obviously" and "the vast majority of anyone with basic understanding of the matter tells you otherwise" I'm not really getting convinced.
You made the statement that couch lances and crossbows are comparable with the situation of cavalry and their twohanders in Bannerlord. To that I responded with some thoughts on damage calculation that in my opinion makes the situation of cavalry in Bannerlord vastly different to that of couch lances and crossbows in Warband. Instead of trying to take that apart, you pick on rough estimates that, even if they are off, don't change the point. What we can see is that you are jumping from one point to the next whenever you get challenged on your previous one. You call out people for not being able to back up their statements with numbers and statistics, yet all you do is lazyly saying I don't think so. You are advanving nothing in this debate.

On a side note, the good thing is nobody has to convince you. We are offering our opinions here just so that the developers can get a good overview of what the community thinks overall. And whether you are they like it or not, if the majority of multiplayer players is not happy with the game in it's current form, there is a problem. Unless, of course, you want to lose all of those players and keep playing for yourself.

Last edited:
Take Peters word for it, who uninstalled the game with a 8,2 K/D because he thinks cavalry overall and especially that weapon is stupidly broken and not fun to play.
Has he tried playing against his peers? I mean, I experience something very similar in skirmish most of the time right now. But I don't think it has anything to do with balance, but rather the fact that I'm playing against newbies who don't even know how to block. I can't feasibly expect any kind of resistance from them.

I don't see where you have shown that our arguments are flawed
How about that part when in the beginning of the thread I said that showing videos of noobstomping isn't exactly showing anything but the disparity in skill?

Wrong, you are stating that the game and cavalry is well balanced
Interesting, I did not know that! Can you quote the message where I state that?

otherwise you wouldn't oppose the players that are saying they are not
Am I though? Or just pointing out that their arguments are flawed?

Explain me how the skill level of your opponent comes into play then when you do so much damage with a single hit that your opponent instantly dies in most cases
I don't think I need to explain that to you, since obviously you understand that on the example of couched lances and crossbows that we've discussed already.

Who is adequately skilled? What do you measure that by?
Good questions, and I mean it. That's why I insist on ranked and tournaments since skill isn't something that you can measure, but can guess with a relatively good margin of failure and regardless of the approach you are going to take it's still going to be very relative and never constant even within a single individual. But at the same time it is of paramount importance, since it dictates the ever elusive balance much more than simple variables like damage dealt by a single weapon.

You made the statement that couch lances and crossbows are comparable with the situation of cavalry and their twohanders in Bannerlord. To that I responded with some thoughts on damage calculation that in my opinion makes the situation of cavalry in Bannerlord vastly different to that of couch lances and crossbows in Warband. Instead of trying to take that apart, you pick on rough estimates that, even if they are off, don't change the point.
What was there to take apart? You didn't refute my point, instead you showed that you are able to understand subtleties when it comes to downsides of one-shot weapons in Warband, but fail to do the same for Bannerlord. And most of your arguments weren't even arguments per se, but dismissals, if you believe that's gonna look convincing in the eyes of someone who's neutral on the matter but decides to read through all that, I think you're gonna be quite disappointed when you find out the truth.

On a side note, the good thing is nobody has to convince you. We are offering our opinions here just so that the developers can get a good overview of what the community thinks overall. And whether you are they like it or not, if the majority of multiplayer players is not happy with the game in it's current form, there is a problem. Unless, of course, you want to lose all of those players and keep playing for yourself.
I wouldn't worry about that. It doesn't feel like you guys play that much anyways, since like I said I mostly stumble upon newbies, less often or rather rarely stacks, but almost never those who complain here on the forum. But I'm still able to find a match at any time of the day almost instantly.

Has he tried playing against his peers? I mean, I experience something very similar in skirmish most of the time right now. But I don't think it has anything to do with balance, but rather the fact that I'm playing against newbies who don't even know how to block. I can't feasibly expect any kind of resistance from them.

How about that part when in the beginning of the thread I said that showing videos of noobstomping isn't exactly showing anything but the disparity in skill?
Another attempt to deflect, so I'll repeat my question: "Explain me how the skill level of your opponent comes into play then when you do so much damage with a single hit that your opponent instantly dies in most cases (as shown in the videos by Kawaii and jon). Are you arguing that a skilled player would never get hit?"

Interesting, I did not know that! Can you quote the message where I state that?
When Group A makes the claim that cavalry and their twohanders are unbalanced, and then Person B constantly says that he does not find the arguments presented by Group A to be convincing, then there is little reason not to believe that he does think the opposite of what Group A thinks. Afterall, why would anyone without an opinion of their own, the other possibility in your case, engage in a conversation that tries to arrive at a common understanding of underlying problems, other than him simply trying to be annoying? Fortunately, this ambiguity can easily be cleared up by you telling us whether or not you think cavalry are overpowered in Bannerlord.

Am I though? Or just pointing out that their arguments are flawed?
Again, you are not pointing out flaws in argumentation, at least I haven't read anything from you that would convince me the logic behind our criticism is flawed, you are just lazyly calling for more evidence and statistics. That's a big difference.

I don't think I need to explain that to you, since obviously you understand that on the example of couched lances and crossbows that we've discussed already.
You said the cases of cavalry in Bannerlord and couch lances/crossbows in Warband are comparable, I said they aren't. If you take the time to properly read my posts, you will be able to avoid constantly mixing up what people say in the future, and maybe even find the time to actually respond to what they are saying. So, I'm afraid, you still have to explain me how skill comes into play in the current situation we are observing in Bannerlord.

Good questions, and I mean it. That's why I insist on ranked and tournaments since skill isn't something that you can measure, but can guess with a relatively good margin of failure and regardless of the approach you are going to take it's still going to be very relative and never constant even within a single individual. But at the same time it is of paramount importance, since it dictates the ever elusive balance much more than simple variables like damage dealt by a single weapon.
Again, I've been criticising the formula that calculates the damage dealt after a swing, taking all variables into account, including the damage rating of the weapon. I haven't criticised the damage rating of the weapon alone. As for tournament, by acknowledging that skill is something you can never measure with absolute certainty, you yourself make the best argument for skipping that part all together.

Besides, the little understanding I have of statistics tells me anyway, that based on the collected community feedback we can come to a similar conclusion as if we were solely focusing on the opinion of future tournament winners. Or in other words, it seems highly unlikely that all those who think the game is fine as it is right now are also all the best players in Bannerlord, with the deepest understanding of its mechanics and balance.

What was there to take apart? You didn't refute my point, instead you showed that you are able to understand subtleties when it comes to downsides of one-shot weapons in Warband, but fail to do the same for Bannerlord. And most of your arguments weren't even arguments per se, but dismissals, if you believe that's gonna look convincing in the eyes of someone who's neutral on the matter but decides to read through all that, I think you're gonna be quite disappointed when you find out the truth.
Well, then read again. In response to the videos posted by Kawaii and jon, I said that oneshot kills in comparison to infantry regularly needing up to 4-6 hits to kill someone is, by definition, unbalanced/overpowered.

You said that isn't the case, because there are many more variables at play than just pure damage. By that logic Warband isn't balanced either, since couch lance still exists and crossbows can oneshot people. The first sentence doesn't even make sense, it outright ignores what I wrote. Next to that you seem to constantly confuse the two concepts of overall damage calculation and weapon damage. Regardless, you try to dismiss my point by saying that couch lances and crossbows could oneshot as well, implying that nobody found those mechanics to be overpowered.

To that I responded by saying that crossbows can but won't in 95% of the cases oneshot players regardless of where they hit doesn't support your argument either. There are very obvious downsides to both couch lances and crossbows in Warband, nobody in their sane mind would question that. I go on to say that in comparison to those downsides in Warband, [...] it does not matter how fast a cavalry is approaching, it does not matter for how long he held his swing, it does not matter how far away his target was and where he hit him, it does not matter what armor his target wore, etc.". So I don't fail to acknowledge downsides of one-shot weapons in Bannerlord, I'm saying there aren't any (noticable, balancing) downsides to one-shot weapons in Bannerlord. Now it is your turn to tell me what downsides there are to the one-shot weapons in Bannerlord.

I wouldn't worry about that. It doesn't feel like you guys play that much anyways, since like I said I mostly stumble upon newbies, less often or rather rarely stacks, but almost never those who complain here on the forum. But I'm still able to find a match at any time of the day almost instantly.
Yeah, because you don't see me ingame all my points must be wrong.

Last edited:
Another attempt to deflect, so I'll repeat my question: "Explain me how the skill level of your opponent comes into play then when you do so much damage with a single hit that your opponent instantly dies in most cases (as shown in the videos by Kawaii and jon). Are you arguing that a skilled player would never get hit?"
You said the cases of cavalry in Bannerlord and couch lances/crossbows in Warband are comparable, I said they aren't. If you take the time to properly read my posts, you will be able to avoid constantly mixing up what people say in the future, and maybe even find the time to actually respond to what they are saying. So, I'm afraid, you still have to explain me how skill comes into play in the current situation we are observing in Bannerlord.
You say they aren't, then they probably aren't, right? No need to provide arguments.

When Group A makes the claim that cavalry and their twohanders are unbalanced, and then Person B constantly says that he does not find the arguments presented by Group A to be convincing, then there is little reason not to believe that he does think the opposite of what Group A thinks. Afterall, why would anyone without an opinion of their own, the other possibility in your case, engage in a conversation that tries to arrive at a common understanding of underlying problems, other than him simply trying to be annoying?
Ever heard of skepticism? I don't have to have an opposing opinion to question yours. But yeah I don't think that those two are op, but you said that I said that the game is balanced, which is a different statement. So the question is: are you not following your own line of arguments or you're just dishonest?

Again, you are not pointing out flaws in argumentation, at least I haven't read anything from you that would convince me the logic behind our criticism is flawed, you are just lazyly calling for more evidence and statsitics. That's a big difference.
Just because I'm not convincing you doesn't mean I'm not pointing out flaws, same as if you think I'm doing it lazily or not.

Again, I've been criticising the formula that calculates the damage dealt after a swing, taking all variables into account, including the damage rating of the weapon. I haven't criticised the damage rating of the weapon alone. As for tournament, by acknowledging that skill is something you can never measure with absolute certainty, you yourself make the best argument for skipping that part all together.

Besides, the little understanding I have of statistics tells me anyway, that based on the collected community feedback we can come to a similar conclusion as if we were solely focusing on the opinion of future tournament winners. Or in other words, it seems highly unlikely that all those who think the game is fine as it is right now are also all the best players in Bannerlord, with the deepest understanding of its mechanics and balance.
So what do you propose? Dump the tournaments, dump the statisitcs and balance the game around what you and couple of your friends say?

So I don't fail to acknowledge downsides of one-shot weapons in Bannerlord, I'm saying there aren't any downsides to one-shot weapons in Bannerlord. Now it is your turn to tell me what downsides there are to the one-shot weapons in Bannerlord.
So you do see downsides of lances and crossbows but fail to see one for menavlion? Alright, how about the fact that you don't have a shield? Is that not a downside? Is it not obvious that I have to point it out to a warband veteran? Come on Scar.

Yeah, because you don't see me ingame all my points must be wrong.
Wrong. I see a lot of players except you, therefore I don't think there's a high chance of me ending up playing alone if you or other warband vets stop playing.

mfw Tork accusses someone else of never playing yet all I see him doing is commenting bull**** on the forums instead of actually playing:
Lmao i can do both.

I'm rude to other people online because social expectations can be difficult for me.
By the way me and Caius have been discussing how completely devoid of toxicity this community is. Mind joining?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom